Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riotsquad Quote
I am looking at buying a new lens and I was hoping I could get some recommendations and advice. I have a k200d with the 18-55 II lens but although I'm happy with what it can do, it's also limiting.

Can I get a single lens that can do all of these things well, or passable- indoor sports and school events(plays, ceremonies, concerts), outdoor sports events, wildlife(bird photo).

I've searched the forums and I couldn't find a lens for all.

I don't need professional quality just family album type shots.

Any suggestions would be great from $bare min, to mid to top of the line.

Thanks Paul

If yoou want an honest opinion, at this point, given the quality of high ISO, I would have to say there is no low cost lens that can do it all today.

If you want an honest opinion, your best bet is to go for two very fast zooms plus a TC or two.

My own lens selection is the Tamron 28075 F2.8 and sigma 70-200 F2.8 plus sigma 1.4x and 2x TCs.

You could substitute the Sigma 24-60 F2.8 or 27-70 F2.8 for the tamron, at the expense of a little more weight to get a little wider.

The reason I recommend this is I have shot all of the things you mention using a K10D witrh this pair. And before that with the *istD.

I wouold go for the fast 70-200 plus TC over a longer but slower say 100-300 F4 or 135-400 F5.6 only to have the higher speed at 70-200. That is really important for indorr performances in an auditorium with stage lighting. You will find that sometimes even 70mm is TOO long.

I also find that witht he sigma TCs the IQ does not seem to suffer for wild life, see attached
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/187646-post19.html

05-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I very much agree with Lowell, but if you are really set on the single lens then spend a little more and get the Tamron 18-250. It's only slightly slower than what you are looking at now, but pretty much covers the whole range.

I will say that by looking for a one lens solution only, you really are defeating the purpose of a dslr. You could have gotten a high-end P&S with an 18x zoom and saved a ton of money. Don't get me wrong, for shooting in an ever changing environment of different subject material, a lens like the 18-250 has a place along side all of the rest. But that convenience comes with a big compromise in speed, and as a good as it is, a lesser compromise in image quality. When it comes to getting a shot in tough or changing lighting conditions, nothing will help more than starting with a fast lens, and coupling it with a camera that can really crank the ISO (which the K200 is just ok at in comparison to some higher end cameras). By limiting yourself, instead of dictating what equipment to use for a given situation, you are letting the equipment dictate to you what you can and can't shoot.
05-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're willing to spend about $350, then I would say go with the DA55-300. For outdoor shots, I've been nothing but pleased with it's performance.

On the wider end, one of the best deals around is the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5, as it's such a versatile lens.

Price-wise, for about the same price as a *50-135, you'll have the 17-300 range covered.

For fast indoor, that could get rather expensive, depending on what kind of focal length you need. Both Sigma and Tamron are coming out with 70-200/2.8 lenses that will be in the $700-800 range. There's always the DA*200, which I believe is in about the same price range.

While I haven't tried it myself yet, your best bet might be to see about picking up a good quality flash and using it with the 55-300 or 70-300. Assuming that the flash works OK with a lens in either one of these ranges, then it would most definitely be cheaper than picking up an extra-fast tele lens.

HTH,
Heather
05-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #19

I think that indoor low lighting sports events will be tricky with the best and fastest lens. I have a Pentax 18-250 and it stays on the camera unless there is some special situation. I think it's the closest you'll get to an all-in-one. IMHO, it produces excellent image quality at all focal lengths.