Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #1

DA 200mm f2.8 for astrophotography?

Has anyone used the DA 200mm f2.8 for astrophotography or night time shots? The reviews seem pretty good except for a bit of CA/fringing on the edges of high contrast objects - this could be a problem at night for stars/lights. I bought the 35mm f2.4 recently which is quite ok during the day but at night, whoa! every star gets a little red halo around it making the whole image go a bit 'pink'! Wouldn't want to make the same mistake with a more expensive lens like the 200mm 2.8 or maybe the 300mm f4.

I've used my 18-125mm for a few night shots with surprisingly good results but it's f5.6 at 125mm which is a little slow for what I'm doing.

12-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No worries with the DA*300/4. It is an astrophoto champ.
12-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Pentax DA* 200mm Astrophotos

QuoteOriginally posted by quedecree Quote
Has anyone used the DA 200mm f2.8 for astrophotography or night time shots? The reviews seem pretty good except for a bit of CA/fringing on the edges of high contrast objects - this could be a problem at night for stars/lights
No 'ordinary' telephoto lenses are optimized for astro photography, but I am quite happy with my DA* 200. I usually stop down the lens a bit, and here are some examples at f/4.0, (click on images to see larger versions):

(Uncropped image)

(Cropped image)

More examples here: DSLR Astophotography: Astrotracer Images with Pentax GPS Unit O-GPS1
12-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
No 'ordinary' telephoto lenses are optimized for astro photography, but I am quite happy with my DA* 200. I usually stop down the lens a bit, and here are some examples at f/4.0, (click on images to see larger versions):
Cheers for that. The CA looks quite acceptable - bit of blue fringing on the brighter stuff. but not the horrible red halos around everything that the 35mm f2.4 gives. Particularly like the photo of Jupiter - the stars are nice and sharp around the field. M33 and M31 are very low on the horizon for me and I can never get a good look at them.

12-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

(Uncropped image)

(Cropped image)

More examples here: DSLR Astophotography: Astrotracer Images with Pentax GPS Unit O-GPS1
A few questions about the Andromeda picture:
Did you use stacking?
Do you need to be in a dark area? I can take Andromeda picture in Los Angeles but the background is brown and I can't figure out how to process the image without losing detail and color
12-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
A few questions about the Andromeda picture:
Yes, I use stacking as I shoot under rather light polluted conditions. Details for the Andromeda picture are:

20 sec., f/4.0, ISO2000, 8 images stacked in deep Sky Stacker and post-processed in PhotoImpact X3.

Contrast enhancement is a must for me because of the light pollution and hence, the need for stacking to reduce noice.

Attached is one of the original images (strongly reduced in size here but uncropped). The images were shot some 40 kilometers north of Copenhagen, (and with other towns nearby), but I can even get quite decent results from my balcony in a light polluted suburb just 12 kilometers from Copenhagen.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I usually shoot at ISO 3200, F2.8 and 30 seconds. I will try your values. I wonder if Copenhagen is as bad as Los Angeles in terms of light pollution.

12-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I wonder if Copenhagen is as bad as Los Angeles in terms of light pollution.
Well, Los Angeles is about as large in area as the entire island of Zealand where I live - but due to the lousy climate we usually suffer from poor seeing, mist and smog...

Anyway, here's what my suburbanian sky looks like:

single exposure: 200mm, f/2.8, 20 sec., ISO 3200

and what some stacking and post-processing can do:

10 images stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and post processed in PhotoImpact X3
12-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
This is a single 5 minute exposure @ ISO 800 with the Sigma 70-300 Zoom. I was about to do some stacking when the clouds abruptly rolled in! Apart from some relatively minor fringing and a bit of ghosting on the brighter stars, I think it's pretty good for a $200 lens. It was around the 200mm mark at f4.5. Windy night with the light pollution just starting to creep in on the raw file - only a little adjustment to the blacks and a smidge more exposure was used. Looking forward to getting my hands on one of the better pentax telephoto lenses.

(manually guided with illuminated cross hairs and 4" f5 acro refractor.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, Los Angeles is about as large in area as the entire island of Zealand where I live - but due to the lousy climate we usually suffer from poor seeing, mist and smog...

Anyway, here's what my suburbanian sky looks like:

single exposure: 200mm, f/2.8, 20 sec., ISO 3200

and what some stacking and post-processing can do:

10 images stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and post processed in PhotoImpact X3
My pictures have the same brown background. Which software removes the brown? Deep sky stacker or PhotoImpact? I only have LightRoom and couldn't figure it out.
12-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My pictures have the same brown background. Which software removes the brown? Deep sky stacker or PhotoImpact? I only have LightRoom and couldn't figure it out.
Deep Sky Stacker produces an almost grayscale image and I use PhotoImpact to "nudge" colour and contrast. That's quite a topic in itself (involving curves, levels, layers...).

Anyway, Lightroom is good for raw-processing and library management, but it isn't really designed for specialized digital (raster) image processing. Dedicated raster software such as PhotoShop (Essentials), Paintshop Pro, Gimp and the like are much better suited for that.

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 11:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by quedecree Quote
(manually guided with illuminated cross hairs and 4" f5 acro refractor.)
Absolutely good for such a lens. You even captured the Flame Nebula very well!
12-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Deep Sky Stacker produces an almost grayscale image and I use PhotoImpact to "nudge" colour and contrast. That's quite a topic in itself (involving curves, levels, layers...).

Anyway, Lightroom is good for raw-processing and library management, but it isn't really designed for specialized digital (raster) image processing. Dedicated raster software such as PhotoShop (Essentials), Paintshop Pro, Gimp and the like are much better suited for that.
Good idea. I have Photoshop elements and the gimp. I will try them next time I have pictures.

I hope to get to Utah and Nevada over Christmas and they should have much less light pollution.