Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thanks konraDarnok. The 28-250 is the lens that the shop recommended. I still like this lens from the reviews that I have read. I was all set for this lens, less change over for the type of images I like to take (kids move so fast in and out of range). But then I read the reviews of the 55-300 and thought that it would complement the 17-70 a bit more.

I suppose another option would be to go sigma 10-20 and tamron 28-250.

Now I have to go back and have another look, too many choices I think

05-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Linked shots - a set on Flickr

SMC-DA 50-200
05-24-2008, 05:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ingrid,
Good choice on the 17-70. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
As for the 55-300, if you're willing to order from the US, Adorama and Amazon have it for $349.95. Calumet has it for $329.99. I don't know what B&H's problem is, but I haven't been able to find it on their website.

As for the macro lens, wait and see what you tend to shoot more of. If you shoot more in the way of flowers and such, something like the DA35/2.8 macro or the DFA 50/2.8 macro would be a good choice. If you find youself shooting more bugs and other creatures on the move, then something in the 100mm range would be better, like the DFA 100/2.8, Tamron 90/2.8 or the Sigma 105/2.8.

HTH,
Heather
05-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #19

Original Poster
Zewrak, looks like you have a nice lens, you also have a beautiful daughter.

Heather, I had a look at B & H as well and couldnt find it. I am a bit concerned about ordering from o/seas in case there is a problem with the lens. I know that lots of people do it, but it would be just my luck to get a soft copy. The stores around here in Australia dont have it and have no idea when it will be here. Most of them said it doesnt exist because it is not on the Pentax Australia site. (nor is the new 18-55 vsII). If I knew how long it would be untill it arrived here I would be content to sit on my hands and wait. (I think.... maybe.) depending on the Aussie price.

I do shoot alot of flower macros. I was considering the Tamron 90mm for down the track some time. I think I have to take a look at the shorter lengths and see if they would be more appropriate.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond.

05-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #20
Inactive Account

For me, I really like the IQ of the DA18-55 II, for a cheap lens I have gotten some great images. The DA50-200 is now a dust collector, and the IQ on the DA55-300 is great - At least to my eyes. My kit is really just the two - I hope to add the DA12-24 and a Macro (Have yet to pick)

A sample at the below link of the DA18-55

Last edited by devs66; 05-25-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Img Link
05-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #21

Original Poster
devs66, your link doesnt seem to be working at the moment. The 18-55 II hasnt been released in Australia and all K20d are being sold with the old kit lens .
I am waiting on a reply back from Pentax Australia on when the 55-300 will be available here.

More bad news. The place where I was originally offered the sigma as the replacement for the old kit lens, has run out of stock. Doing a quick ring around and my situation isnt improving, no one within a 100km radius (so far) have the sigma in stock...... (insert a few choice words here)......I am being left with buying a camera and no lenses.
05-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Hi Ingrid,

Check your PMs.

Dale

05-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #23
mfc

hey ,jusyt a thought ,i got a k10d and 16/45 in melb realy cheap just after? {perhaps before} that for l scape & general stuff {perhaps a 70 mm for ports/indoor sport <------if you hog the boundarys }70 or 77 ....the 16/45 takes a fair maqcroish shot to
ps i think the cam and 16/45 were around 1500 with 2 ,2g sd's
05-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

G'day Ingrid.

You have a great starters kit right there. The Sigma 17-70mm will not disappoint from what I have heard.

I started off with the 18-55mm kit lens ... and that was the only lens I had for 6 months while I was waiting for a backordered lens to come in. So i found out quickly what lens(es) I was really needing/missing.

I went out and spent (too much) my cash on a Tamron 90mm SP Macro lens from Teds in Chatswood (should have bought online now that I realise it). But in saying that I do not regret the purchase though. It is a great outdoor long portraiture prime aswell as being a beautiful macro lens.

One lens that is always on me though is my FA50 f/1.4 prime ... it really is a must have lens ... it does fine for indoor single portraitures (depends on the size of the room) ... it has beautiful IQ and bokeh indeed and is very versatile (There's a couple of threads at the moment about it) ... to get a feeling of the focal length ... set you 17-70 at arond 50 if you can and then shoot at that focal length indoors and check to see if the crop is wide enough for you.

If it is too tight though ... I will then suggest the FA35 f/2 as this is just as good.

For the long end ... I wouldn't mind trying the 55-300mm lens (I have the older Pentax FAJ 75-300mm) and compare it with my current long lens ... but what I am really after is the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (still not available in Pentax mount yet though) hooked up with my Tamron teleconverter.

If you can pick up a cheap DA50-200mm lens ..... do it .. I wouldn't mind getting one just for the hell of it and see how good this cheap lens is (after seeing so many good copies around it seems worth it.)

I need to stop ... otherwise I'll go broke ... I have just started playing with old M42 screwmount lenses ... and I think it is going to be the end of me ... hee hee.
05-30-2008, 05:31 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks Simon. My lenses arrived today (note to self must change sig). Yippee. I get to play. Everywhere you read people recommend a 50mm lens (in all camera brands) it seems to be a popular length. I took some images at my kickboxing training session with the sigma 30mm loaner. I found it really different coming from a superzoom creative P&S to using a prime lens. I actually had to move to take my images. Mind you I didnt get many keepers, I still have a bit of learning with this camera, its a lot heavier and the shutter lag a bit longer than I am used to. But I will prevail I will get around to posting some images when I have finished throwing out the blurry ones