Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kimunor f/8 500mm

Okay, dinkin around the "bay" and ran across a Kimunor 500mm f/8 lens. I know this ain't gonna be a stellar lens by any means, right? But worth maybe $50 for fun? Kind of like a very poor man's Bigma.

Anyone had one of these or put their hands on one enough to offer a price relative opinion?

05-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The T-Mount one? I see there is one on Swedish ebay. about 100$ for it.

I doubt you get better quality with it then a Tamron SP 300 + 1.5x converter or S-M-C Takumar 300mm + Converter tbh
02-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Okay, dinkin around the "bay" and ran across a Kimunor 500mm f/8 lens. I know this ain't gonna be a stellar lens by any means, right? But worth maybe $50 for fun? Kind of like a very poor man's Bigma.

Anyone had one of these or put their hands on one enough to offer a price relative opinion?
I have this Kimunor 500m lens and used is several times with my pleasure.
To my opinion, this lens is perfectly suitable if and when you set certain goals and limits:

1. Try to take photos of scenes with slightly damped lighting. Avoid very bright scenes if colors are of decisive importance. Or use some color and level adjustments later, with a software.

2. Try to catch some fine (finest) details of a PART of an object that is located far away. For instance, I caught a hand holding a cigarette on the sky background: blue sky, white light clouds and an almost monochrome fingers with a cigarette. I'll put this photo when I 'll sell my Kimunor.
Or get the face of a driver of an Ambulance in a hurry.

3. Don't attempt to catch multicolored objects with direct lighting. But it's perfectly fine to use with back lighting for certain tasks.

The focusing with this lens is very easy (to me, at least.)
One of very convenient features is its mount adapters triplet: you can use this lens with K-mount Pentax, with Canon and with Minolta; just change the adapter in a second.
Another one convenient feature is that the lens has a fastening nut for a standard tripod and a "sliding rail fastening" for professional tripod heads, which is a fixable/removable part of the lens fastening.

Quality of images taken with this lens is very satisfactory (again, to me, at least)