Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

Old lens vs new lens

I am fairly new to digital lens camera's, I used the K1000 film camera for years, I have bought a K-R and use an older SMC Pentax-FA 28-200 lens, my question; is it worth my money to buy the newer DA lens? Will the quality of pictures be enough better for me to spend the money on these lenses?

12-12-2014, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

It depends on which lens(es.)

I don't know that the 28-200 has an especially outstanding reputation. Probably more advancements in recent years have happened with zooms, so the relative performance difference in recent zooms vs. older zooms (particularly ambitious zooms, which the 28-200 was in its era) may be more significant than, say, fixed-focal-length lenses from similar generations.

But to me the more important issue is that today, you can get an 18-200 (or 18-250, or 18-300mm) lens that will far exceed the coverage you have now on the wide side. Still one lens (assuming that's what you prefer), but far wider ranging. If we could pry any new lenses out of Tamron, you could even get a 16-300, which would be even more significant - but we can't. Still, 18 is an entirely different experience vs. 28.
12-12-2014, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The FA 28-200 is a mediocre at best lens. It is just a rebadged Tamron with SMC coatings. (I have the Tamron version)

The DA 18-135 would likely be better in every way. It covers roughly the same field of view on APS-C as the 28-200 covers on FF.

The DA 35, DA 40 XS, or DA 50 would be major upgrades.
12-12-2014, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used an FA 28-200 on my k-x when I first got the camera. It wasn't until I bought a new lens that I realized how simply awful that lens is. Like shooting through a Coke bottle compared to good glass. Maybe I had a bad copy but it left me with a real bad taste for super zooms.

The DA 18-135 is head and shoulders better if you want a DA and long focal range. Some of the older glass like F 35-70 and F 70-210 are also quite good and very inexpensive.

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 07:34 PM ----------

It should not be an 'old' versus 'new' comparison. There is a lot of good old glass available, but some of it just........... not..............

12-12-2014, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It (always) depends. But usually the lens does not make such a large difference. And buying a better lens w/o a more focused reason is not usually very productive.

I would first identify what kind of shooting you do where the lens is not adequate--as in not fast enough, not close enough, etc. Then get a lens that does that better. And then compare the two lenses in a situation where they both should do reasonably good (moderate aperture, moderate to long distance, etc). That will then tell you about the difference. And even if no big difference you will not have wasted your money.

If you really want to just get a better zoom to see--generally you can significantly improve quality and not spend a lot with a zoom with a much lower zoom range and not very wide angle (e.g., the FA 28-70mm f/4 is inexpensive [$70.] and quite good stopped down to /5.6 or f/8). And even better will be a prime lens. And if you are willing to give up AF, you can get a very good lens for very little dollars. E.g., Pentax (M) 50 mm f/1.7 for about $50. Then you will likely will see if a much better lens makes much of a difference--again in an area where both lenses should do well.
12-13-2014, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

On a different note, the agreement among experienced Pentaxians is that:
- Prime lenses age very well, and
- Zoom lenses do not age well.

There have been limited optical development in the last 40 years in terms of prime manufacturing, but for a few improvement like new coatings. Generally a good old prime will serve you well on the newest dSLR body.

With zoom lenses, there have been on the other hand a number of major developments, and new zoom lenses outperform older zoom lenses.

Off course there are a small number of exceptions, but the above is a starting point.

The FA80-200mm is no longer a great lens (see SMC Pentax-FA 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database). I suggest that you upgrade it, possibly with the DA18-135mm.

Alternately you could get a cheap DA18-55mm. This is the modern kit lens and you can get some cheap good quality ones. Plus you buy in addition a few primes. The newer 'plastic fantastic' DA50mm f1.8 would be a good one for a new lens, but there are plenty of older MF lenses available at great prices IMHO.

I hope that the comment will help.

Last edited by hcc; 12-13-2014 at 12:45 AM.
12-13-2014, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi.
Interesting topic, and one you always return to.
In general I would think that it is the person with the tool that makes the job. But a good tool may make the job easier, At the same time, an adequate tool is a good thing.
But even these considerations are not objective,I think.
I have tried some of my old prime Pentax lenses that dates back 40 years. They are really nice to work with, and it is really back to basics when it comes to focus and light metering. But for me it is a very different experience than the superfast new lenses that makes it possible to shoot much quicker and I can rely on the camera doing the job almost without looking into the viewfinder. So it is a whole lot of different situation. In my view. This said, I think the old lenses give me or require more time and maybe more peace in the situation, which is a good thing.
Well, just some thoughts

12-13-2014, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the FA 28-200mm. It's not a bad lens if you consider when it was designed and for whom it was designed. The lens was designed during the film era and was probably the super zoom vacation lens of its time. Think of what people knew how to do back for super zooms. For moderate sized prints from film the lens is good. Even small 4"x6" from digital will come ok looking good. Larger prints like 8"x10" from film or digital will start to show abberations. PIxel peeping is even worse. The wide end has better IQ than the tele end. At the end I can use the lens at f/6.3 with good results but the tele end likes f/11.

It's good for portraits.

IMGP9581
by Never Off, on Flickr

It's good for the artsy shot.

IMGP9091
by Never Off, on Flickr

Even telephoto is not bad.

IMGP9085 (1)
by Never Off, on Flickr

The DA 18-135mm is a modern lens designed with new knowledge and new manufacturing. It will surpass the specs and IQ performance of the FA 28-200mm.
12-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really must have had a bad copy, I never got a single image that looked close to as good as those.
12-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I really must have had a bad copy, I never got a single image that looked close to as good as those.
Perhaps you have front/back focus issues? What are your results like with Live View and the lens at ... oh, f/8-f/10? The lens is a little soft wide open, especially at the tele end and the DoF can be razor thin.
12-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Perhaps you have front/back focus issues? What are your results like with Live View and the lens at ... oh, f/8-f/10? The lens is a little soft wide open, especially at the tele end and the DoF can be razor thin.
Don't think so, images looked like shooting through thick glass. Doesn't matter, lens is sold long ago.

I was just saying you had some really nice snaps there, nothing like what I got from it. Maybe I had element separation or something. Or maybe I had no idea what I was doing.
12-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Drauen Quote
I have tried some of my old prime Pentax lenses that dates back 40 years. They are really nice to work with, and it is really back to basics when it comes to focus and light metering. But for me it is a very different experience than the superfast new lenses that makes it possible to shoot much quicker and I can rely on the camera doing the job almost without looking into the viewfinder.
Drauen
I would respectfully disagree with the notion of new of 'superfast new lenses'. I do not believe that new lenses as 'superfast' generally. In fact I would argue that most superfast lenses are older lenses.

The fastest Pentax lens (A50mm f1.2) was developed decades ago and it has been discontinued for more than a decade.

In recent years, the fastest new Pentax lens has been the unique DA*55mm f1.4. There has been two new relatively fast Pentax: DA50mm f1.8 and DA35 mm f2. These three lenses are the fastest modern Pentax lenses. The FA Limited lens series are older lenses developed for full-frame era and cannot be considered modern although there are outstanding. Fast third party lenses (f1.4) include also old (but excellent) designs: CZ50mm f1.4, VL58mm f1.4,... albeit a very few newer ones (the Sigma Art series).

I believe that you meant that newer camera body can operate at higher ISO, those compensating low light conditions with higher ISO operation. This is very different IMHO with the usage of fast lenses. Fast lenses rely upon large aperture (low f), yielding unique optical qualities and shallow DOF.

Personally, when shooting in low light, I prefer to use large aperture/fast lenses over boosting the ISO. It is more difficult IMHO because of the shallow DOF but more rewarding. That is my own experience and I admit that others may have different opinions.

My 5 cents...

Last edited by hcc; 12-13-2014 at 01:23 PM.