Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Waterresistance of the DA lenses

Do someone know how water resistant the DA (Digital only) lenses are.
A PhotoMagazine here in Sweden splashed the K10D with the DA16-45 lens with lots of water.
So I suppose that the DA lenses can stand a lot of water.
I am interested in the subject, beqause I am travelling a lot.
/Jusa

02-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Tjänare,

I have one DA lens only and I wouldn't dare to splash it with a "lot of water".

As usual different lenses are different... Some of my A lenses have taken some water without problems. Mike (Mousehill) got a lot of trouble after having an FA* splashed with some water. The FA limiteds shouldn't get wet really (judging from the construction, a hunch more than facts). Maybe some DA lenses are tough, some not?
For the moment there is no weather shielded lens in the Pentax line of lenses but there are those two new zooms coming later this year.

In my experience it's hard to predict if a lens can take some water or not. You just don't know until too late.

The Canon EF50/1.2L is weather shielded, the EF35/1.4L is not. Looking at them they are both of the same high build quality and I wouldn't be able guess the difference.

I know, this doesn't help much,

Last edited by Jonas B; 02-01-2007 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling...
02-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Tackar.

So it´s hard to know until it´s to late, I guess.
So I take it litttle more careful with my DA12-24.
Its take some time to order a new one, and it´s impossible to get one while travelling.
So I have to wait for the DA* lenses.
Thanks
/Jusa
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I heard that DA lenses are relatively resistant to rain drizzle but not sure about anything else.

02-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only the 3 DA* series lenses will be specially wealer-sealed, it's give or take with the others.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: