Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ya know, it just might be that little industrial-aged modest beauty, the Pentax-F 35-70. Useful FL range, fairly sharp, good contrast, delighful colours, and close-up capable.

I was originally thinking of my DA 35mm Ltd or my DA* 50-135. While the DA 35 Ltd is a terrific lens, it might be too limiting. Likewise, the 50-135 is fantastic, but just a wee bit too long. I dunno, I'll have to think about it.

- Craig

12-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #47
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Are you sure? I had it and sold it
I am going to have to look into it again
Aye... I'm sure that she's the only "Special Lady" for me.
12-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Spanish is my first language

It is curious, in Spanish, nouns have gender, and LENS is masculine: The Lens (El Lente), Camera is feminine: The Camera (La Camera). To me, it makes sense, the lens even have a masculine shape, the camera is definitely feminine, it has an opening for the lens to get in. Even guitars, which I make have a feminine shape: The Guitar (La Guitarra). I have a lady client that tells me the opposite, she calls the guitar Fabio (HIM).
12-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the primes are good (and I've got most, from the DA14 to the F*300) but for sheer versatility and its symbiotic relationship with the K-3, I'd choose the DA*16-50, even without SDM, as mine is. The K-3 brings out the best in it, based on my experience. In case you're wondering, I don't have a pet name for it, neither gendered nor neutered, although when its SDM was playing up, I did have a few choice names for it.

12-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #50
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
have a pet name for it
I'm not brave enough to call my "Ladies" pet.
12-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh, so you like a full-bodied Princess behind the hood then?
Yes. More cushion for the shutter button pushin'.
12-15-2014, 04:31 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm not brave enough to call my "Ladies" pet.
Leave that one for the Geordies, eh?

12-15-2014, 05:09 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Hands down, my SMC DA 35mm macro limited!

Counting the votes in the thread, I see that I'm not the only one that loves it.
12-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Hands down, my SMC DA 35mm macro limited!

Counting the votes in the thread, I see that I'm not the only one that loves it.
Glad to see the 35 Macro getting some love--I don't have a K3, but the 35 is my desert island lens.
12-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #55
Pentaxian

It is curious, in Spanish, nouns have gender, and LENS is masculine: The Lens (El Lente), Camera is feminine: The Camera (La Camera). To me, it makes sense, the lens even have a masculine shape, the camera is definitely feminine, it has an opening for the lens to get in. Even guitars, which I make have a feminine shape: The Guitar (La Guitarra). I have a lady client that tells me the opposite, she calls the guitar Fabio (HIM).
In Portuguese, it's "A Objetiva" ("Lente" being each one of the elements - it's confusing and people do use "lente" as the actual lens, though it's not accurate). Anyway, it's feminine so to me it's natural to see them as princesses or whatever

Back to topic:

I don't have a K-3. I don't have a 31Limited. But for me that would be the one-camera-one-lens combination that I would choose if I could only have one.

Of the ones I have, it's my DA 35mm 2.4 "Plastic Fantastic". I like normal lenses the most.

And yes, of course I could live with just one prime lens. Much better men (and women) than me have done so. In fact until recently (two decades or so ago) that's what pretty much everyone did.
12-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #56
Pentaxian

No K-3 for it to mate to,
but when I have to travel with only one lens,
it's now the DA 20-40 Limited Zoom.
12-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #57
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Leave that one for the Geordies, eh?
Damn right, the odd Glaswegian has been known when feeling particularly brave, to call his woman "hen".

Up here in the Highlands we are a tad more polite.
12-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
SMC Pentax-FA 1:1.8 77mm limited, AKA the Princess
For me as well, followed very, very closely by Prince FA 31. I still pull out the LX and MX now and then, so my one lens has to have an aperture ring.
12-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #59

For me, it is my FA 50mm f2.8 macro. There's more flexibility in cropping/stitching than in focusing! (could use a limiter though, seriously).
12-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #60
Forum Member

Well, this ONE is easy - or so I thought !

It's gotta be my SMC (not HD) 15mm ! Love that sharpness, love those vistas - i can get lost in them ! Love those sharp starbursts ! Love the ergonomics, the lens hood, the total experience ! Such amazing shots of The World !

Then - on second thought - and as others here often write - it's got to be that amazing 77mm - it makes even amateurs like me into skilled portrait photographers ! And it's won all those awards as Best-in-Universe-Pentax-lens-of-all-time, right ? I bought it two months ago, still learning its many versatile uses.

But then - as I await Adam's email message to arrive any minute now (or, Adam, are we doing Pony Express ? or smoke signal ? or skywriter ? or telepathy ? - - just tell me, i can't wait -- how are you going to notify me of my winning entry in the holiday season 31mm lens sweepstakes today ?).
Because that will be my forever-and-a-day single lens that i cannot do without !!!

(fine print: but it will be easy to hide those small 15mm and 77 mm lenses on my person - even after i've 'won' the 31mm !
THE prime trifecta - actually PERFECTa - the 15mm, 31 mm, 77mm - no Canikon trio can hold a candle to this trio !)

Last edited by habsfanusa; 12-16-2014 at 06:50 AM. Reason: obsessional syntax-fixing !