Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Good Old 28mm

So my paycheck is in and I am planing on buying a 28mm to add to my kit.

The size of the paycheck limits my choice so I am looking at some of the manual 28mm.

There are pretty much three that i am interested in and i was wondering if someone had any experience with those:

SMC-K 28mm f3.5

SMC-M 28mm f2.8

SMC-M 28mm f3.5

I have red somewhere that the f3.5 were sharper at all apertures than the f2.8. Would you guys agree?

Any difference between the K and the M as far as IQ is concerned?

Should I consider the A? The one i really wanted was the SMC-F 28mm f2.8? It is a bit too expensive but do you guys think i should wait and purchase that one?

Thank you all for your input!

05-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Banned

why are you currently not considering the A?
05-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Consider getting the A - optically it is identical to the M versions.

The F-series lenses have inferior build quality than any other series of lenses.
05-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
optically it is identical to the M versions.
thats not entirely true. the 2.0 stayed the same but the 2.8 was updated with a slightly different optical formula.

05-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
thats not entirely true. the 2.0 stayed the same but the 2.8 was updated with a slightly different optical formula.

I stand corrected.
05-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why are you currently not considering the A?
I just based my selection off the Lens review database on this website, and the reviews for the A are not as good as the Ms or the K.
05-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I can vouch for the M28/3.5, i consider it a little more sharper then the M28/2.8 i had, and more contrasty.

05-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

stan's photography has good stuff
Brief Comments
05-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a SMC-M 28/2.8 for sale if you are interested.

05-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Gee I regret that I traded off this . I can feel the focus ring turning

Daniel, Toront
05-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Don't rule out the Sigma...

I just today got the M42 version of the 28/3.5 so I haven't had a chance to shoot with it, but I'd also suggest you consider the Sigma Mini-Wide 28/2.8. I have the "A" version of this lens and quite like it. It is well reviewed around the web, and I posted a mini assessment of the lens on my blog (be sure to click the gallery link to see more photos and 100% crops from that lens, but ignore that the gallery says it's f/4 - that's incorrect).
05-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC PENTAX 1:3.5/28mm (K version)

QuoteOriginally posted by barbosas Quote
I can vouch for the M28/3.5, i consider it a little more sharper then the M28/2.8 i had, and more contrasty.
I have owned the K28/3.5 for many years, as well as the M28/2.8 version 1 for a few - I can't help with the others. The K version has more contrast and I think it is sharper. This discussion is academic, though, since both are great lenses (better than I can make them, anyway) and either would serve you very well.

If you really want the best 28 but money is an issue you might consider buying an M now, with a plan to upgrade to your top choice later. Consider any loss on the M lens (if it happens) as rental cost.

J Colwell's SPLOSdb (SMC Pentax Lenses and Other Stuff database) price and quality survey of 2004 rates the K28/3.5 and the M28/2 among the best Pentax lenses ever made. The M28/2.8 has an average rating and the A is very good. Although the prices are now stale, this is a great resource for Pentax lenses info and those of other makers for both M42 and K mounts, plus some accessories and LX information.

http://www.jcolwell.ca/_SPLOSdb/SPLOSdb.pdf

Price and availability are an issue.

Availability: The K lens is available in spurts on auction sites, but then not at all for weeks at a time; KEH will have one once in a while, then not for many weeks. The M is almost ubiquitous on auction sites and there are normally 2 or 3 for sale at KEH. The A 28 is about the same as the K - not easy to find at will.

Price: The K runs around $189 in KEH EXC condition; the M can be had for around $70 here and at auction, and around $110 at KEH in EXC condition. Add around 35% to that for the "A" version due to demand from digital users who want meter coupling without using the Green button. All seem to have been quite steady for several months - maybe the M is coming down into the 60's for a EXC rated item.

Caps: If you like your Pentax lenses to have authentic caps, don't forget the M front and back caps and the slightly different A caps (the rear cap has a lip to cover the electrical contacts) are about $10 value combined. The K version had an all-black, 52mm front cap - those are harder to find except at KEH, and are priced accordingly. Look for lenses that have the correct caps if you are fastidious (as am I) about your gear.

I've never scanned any of my film images from the manual lenses - only had a digital Pentax for a few months, but I've planned to get out tomorrow morning (weather permitting) and do some manual shooting in an architectural artwork park (rusty steel sculpture stuff) near me. If it works out I'll post some comparison images with my two 28's.
05-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
So my paycheck is in and I am planing on buying a 28mm to add to my kit.

The size of the paycheck limits my choice so I am looking at some of the manual 28mm.

There are pretty much three that i am interested in and i was wondering if someone had any experience with those:

SMC-K 28mm f3.5

SMC-M 28mm f2.8

SMC-M 28mm f3.5

I have red somewhere that the f3.5 were sharper at all apertures than the f2.8. Would you guys agree?

Any difference between the K and the M as far as IQ is concerned?

Should I consider the A? The one i really wanted was the SMC-F 28mm f2.8? It is a bit too expensive but do you guys think i should wait and purchase that one?

Thank you all for your input!
Of the three listed, I would take the M 28/3.5. This lens is as close as they get to perfect.
05-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Not sre how different the Super Tak 28mm f/3.5 was comapred to the M28mm f/3.5 ... but if it is near identical ... the old Super Tak is a very nice lense indeed .... sharp from wide-open and very renders colours beautifully .. nice contrast as well.
05-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Of the three listed, I would take the M 28/3.5. This lens is as close as they get to perfect.
Have you had a chance to compare the SMC-K and M? I have heard that the K is a little better.

Right now, even if the IQ is similar on the two, i think that the K is going to be my next lens. The rarity, and how old the lens is make me want it! But my patience has limits...