Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The kit lens should work pretty well for the falls, they're large and if you are shooting during the day there will be lots of light.

You might consider taking along a clear plastic bag large enough to put the camera in and shoot through. I took the tour boat at the base of the falls a couple of years ago and came out soaked (I kept my camera in its bag under my poncho for the wet portions of the boat ride). Taking a change of shoes or wearing sandals might also be a good idea.

05-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #17
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Hey, I resemble that remark! I'm from there (upstate NY) originally and there are LOTS of cool things to see and do. It's more than just Niagara Falls.
The Falls, Ft. Niagara, Ft. George, Niagara-on-the-lake, two Frank Lloyd Wright houses, Letchworth State Park, Zoar Valley, Schwabl's beef on weck, original chicken wings, and Ted's Hot Dogs to name a few.
You gotta make your own fun!!!!!
I'm 100% with you, and not far away from there, there are the finger lakes also. \

@OP
Regarding Michigan, I think that the upper peninsule is simply outstanding. If you dont mind to go there dont miss the oportunity to go to the Pictured Rock national Park. It is simply a 5 stars destination, way better than Niagara (this is a personal opinion). There are also other parks over there that worth a visit. And if you want something extreme, you can always visit Detroit at night
05-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Any lens that puts your subject on the sensor and expose it properly is THE right lens.
05-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
Upstate NY is nothing to be excited about. Visiting MI is really not exciting. I hate using vacation time/$$ to be miserable with my outlaws. The proctologist would be more fun.
This is just sad, really.

Chris

05-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have found my 18 to 55mm kit lens adequate for most shots. For pictures of the Maid of the Mist from the rim a 70 to 210mm or something in that range would be good.
If you can shoot the Horseshoe (Canadian) Falls from the American side of the Niagara rive you will get a much better view of them. It is the more beautiful of the two cascades.

If the wind is blowing from the falls toward you keep your camera covered until just before you shoot. If it is a really hot day you will bless the mist.

I would suggest ignoring the tourist shops and attractions on main street unless you like that sort of thing.

A trip up one of the towers is interesting. For greater height you could take a helicopter ride.

A drive or bike ride (You can rent bikes and the route is almost hill less.) along the beautiful Niagara Parkway is well worthwhile and a visit to the butterfly house is good for a couple of hour of pure enchantment. If the peaches are ripe you can taste the world's best and freshest by stopping at any farmer's stand along the parkway.

If you have the time a visit to Niagara-on-the-Lake is a great side trip to see a beautiful town that was extant during the war of 1812.

If you can do your Niagara trip during the week instead of on a weekend you will avoid a lot of crowds.

Be sure to contact the CAA or AAA or the internet for local maps and tourist information well before you go so you can plan your visit logically.

Mickey
05-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Heather, Upstate NY is nothing to be excited about. Visiting MI is really not exciting. I hate using vacation time/$$ to be miserable with my outlaws. The proctologist would be more fun.
I'm going to disagree with you 100% (except the outlaw part). My wife and I made this trip from northern VA 3 years ago, and it was wonderful. If you have never seen the falls, then I don't see any way that you won't be impressed by the sheer volume and force of the falls. We went on the Maid of the Mist, and used disposable camera for that part of the trip. I had a Kodak P&S that definitely was not weather sealed.

Take a drive up to Niagra-on-the-Lake to seee one of the most beautiful little towns that you can imagine. We spent over 3 hours at the butterfly house on the way back from there. You can also take a ride on a powerboat that will go into a gigantic whirlpool and when the boat starts to get sucked in, the power it out. Great ride (high pucker factor), but make sure you take a change of clothes, because you will definitely get wet. You might also consider the gondola ride across the river (Spanish Falls???). Stand on the left crossing the river, and then stand on the right coming back. Great photos looking up and down the river.

My wife and I plan to return either next year ('09) or the next.

Here's hoping you enjoy it 1/2 as much as we did.
05-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This has been a great discussion on the area. My wife and I are going up there at the end of June and we had never heard of the butterfly conservatory. Thanks for the info because our trip is going to change now to include an extra day there.
05-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Don't forget to see "Niagara on the lake", plus the nearby historical fort. Also there are many vineyards nearby if you like a bit of wine tasting..

05-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
This has been a great discussion on the area. My wife and I are going up there at the end of June and we had never heard of the butterfly conservatory. Thanks for the info because our trip is going to change now to include an extra day there.

I think you will enjoy the conservatory -- my wife and I did. Oh yeah, one other thing I learned during the trip. Canadian bacon is not the small round stuff we see here in the deli.
05-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If Peter or mi2nc are looking for other things to do in and around Niagara Falls there are an incredible number of small to midsized vinyards in the area. Depending on what day of the week you are travelling through it should be possible to book tours at a couple of them. I accidentally wound up taking a vacation in Niagara Falls during the fall wine tour a couple of years ago and wound up getting free samples (and subsequently buying bottles as I found wines that I liked) all over the place.
05-26-2008, 04:55 AM   #26

It sure is a great place - I was awestruck when I visited Niagara in 2004. Sadly I didn't have a camera with me. Had a chance to taste some local wines as well and was surprised how good they were (being from Australia where you find the best wines in the world). Was given a tase of Ice Wine Jelly on a cracker and dissolved into fits of delight. Not sure how easy this is to find but if you see it give it a try. Can't wait to get back to Ontario some day.
05-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I would go wide baby wide

10-20 sigma

Beauty needs to be captured in all its glory

cheers
05-26-2008, 05:38 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I have to admit I had less than pleasant thoughts about visiting that area of NY until my youngest son moved to Fredonia to open a restaurant. My wife and I visited in Sep of 07 and had a wonderful time. The area surrounding Fredonia was beautiful. Finger lakes, grape fields, lots of beautiful scenery. We then drove up to Canada and visited the Falls from that side. Wonderful! Spent a couple of days in Canada. The Canadian side of the falls was great — butterfly Conservatory provided some great opportunities for shots of butterflies and I have to say we did the entire tourist thing and would go back in a heartbeat.
05-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #29
Pentaxian

where is the barrel

I'll make it. Just want some good photos to prove I survived.
I'm surprised with all the comments here no one suggested shooting the falls with a barrel That is the traditional way!

Seriously, I have shot the falls several times, and lens selection is always a question of location. many have suggested a 16-50 and that is probably a good start, although you might want wider, especially if you are shooting from the maid of the mist.
05-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Can not really advice one lens, as there is so much to snap at, and so much to see. Over the years I have spent so much time there I might be able to sub for some of the guides on the tours.

What I like most now is taking someone that has never been, two years ago I took a friend from Austria to see the falls - he loved it, went nuts with one of my borrowed P&S Cameras. We parked so far away it was about an hour to walk to the falls, there was a bus (free) but we are both walkers. I think he filled a 2 GB card on the way. The Falls really does not interest me much anymore - but when I take a person for there first time it is almost as good as your first time (at the Falls)

Enjoy the trip!!!

DEVS