Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #1

Shooting Niagara Falls....what lens

My good peeps,

I am visiting the falls in July and wish your recomendations on shooting the falls.

Thanks in advance

Brian

05-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Not Registered

Take the boat and make sure that your equipment is weather sealed. I think that this would be one of the few situations where I would advice to get the Pentax 16-50 f2.8.
05-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Would you feel comfortable using the k10 on the boat? How about shooting from the Canadian rim? Hotel? What would you recomend as a lens to shoot from these points?
05-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I visited about a year ago and took my K10 with DA 16-45 lens on the boat. No problems and some great shots. I ended up using the 16-45 all day. Enjoy the trip.

Gary

05-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Not Registered

IMO, the experience of watching the falls from the boat has nothing to do with watching them from the rim. From the boat you dont have the feeling of being in Las Vegas and the view is much better (at least for me). I think that a K10d+weather sealed lens you will be safe 100%. I went there with my P&S (not weather sealed) and I didnt have any problem neither. I guess that K10d+not weather sealed lens you would be safe also. The amount of water the camera would get when you get closer to the waterfall is similar to a mild/medium rain day.

You can also take pictures from the rim and they will be pretty nice also. One thing that you will find out when you revise your pictures is the feeling of dejavu (in postcards, movies, internet....). THere are also some pretty waterfalls in the area. I would recommend you to visit the web Waterfalls of the Great Lakes Region and Beyond, they give a lot information about the area. If you have an ultra wide angle lens also, keep it with you.

Hope it helps
05-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Forum Member

I was there with a Fujica AX3 and 35-70mm/2.8 lens
Wish I had something wider
05-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd imagine even the 18-55 kit lens would be wide enough from the Canadian side of the falls.

05-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
My good peeps,

I am visiting the falls in July and wish your recomendations on shooting the falls.

Thanks in advance

Brian
What lenses do you currently own?
05-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Buddha, I currently have the kit lens.

The Family and I are taking a 3,000 mile obligation (vacation is when I pick the spot, Obligation is when it is picked for me) this summer. We have several things planned that I will be renting lenses for:
1. a 50th wedding anniversary for my outlaws in NY (50mm, f1.4),
2. Niagara falls (a proposed here, maybe I rent a 16-44mm),
3. MI for a hockey tournament for my son, and visit my parents (50-135mm)
4. a cousin-outlaws wedding in St. Louis .
05-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

On a personal note, I get the impression that you'd almost rather be at home working then going on this trip. On the positive side, having a camera and great lenses may very well give you a good excuse to get away from the family when they really start to get on your nerves. The only thing that might go wrong (assuming that you can pull this off) might be that they'll all want to go with you and tell you what and how to shoot.

The 18-55 should be OK for waterfalls. Just today, I went and visited some waterfalls with my Sigma 17-70 and it worked pretty well for the job. If you really want to go wider, you might consider renting a Sigma 10-20 or the DA 12-24 to get even more into your shots.

HTH,
Heather
05-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Heather, Upstate NY is nothing to be excited about. Visiting MI is really not exciting. I hate using vacation time/$$ to be miserable with my outlaws. The proctologist would be more fun.
05-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My father used his Spotmatic II with the 55mm f1.8 lens (it looks like, judging from the photos he took) when he went with my mother back in the 70s. I should ask my mother, as she was in most of the photos... With a rain coat on. If I had to guess though, the camera stayed under the raincoat until he wanted to take a picture; pop out, compose and focus (pre-meter), pop in. This may be more difficult with a K10, as it's a little bit bigger.

The camera survived, the lens survived (although, now it's suffering from spring fatigue in the aperature springs), and now I have it.
05-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well i hope you can somehow make the best of it.

Anyway for th lens, the DAA*16-50 is the most logical choice IMO. Particularly if you plan to do the Maid of the Mist tour. If that's not a concern, then the kit lens will do just fine.
05-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #14

Original Poster
I'll make it. Just want some good photos to prove I survived.
05-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mi2nc Quote
Heather, Upstate NY is nothing to be excited about. Visiting MI is really not exciting. I hate using vacation time/$$ to be miserable with my outlaws. The proctologist would be more fun.
Hey, I resemble that remark! I'm from there (upstate NY) originally and there are LOTS of cool things to see and do. It's more than just Niagara Falls.
The Falls, Ft. Niagara, Ft. George, Niagara-on-the-lake, two Frank Lloyd Wright houses, Letchworth State Park, Zoar Valley, Schwabl's beef on weck, original chicken wings, and Ted's Hot Dogs to name a few.
You gotta make your own fun!!!!!