Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there traditionally a post-Christmas price drop on lenses?

Thinking of getting a 35mm macro ltd. Pull the trigger now from B&H or wait for a sale?

I don't have any experience with gear price cycling throughout the year (apart from Black Friday deals).

12-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thread moved. Price Watch section is for posting actual links to deals, not asking what's available.
12-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
This really isn't a question about a specific lens...but rather the cycles of sales. I'm ignorant.
12-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's currently on sale, at a pretty good price actually. All those deals are set to expire at the end of the year.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

My advice is that if you are gonna do it, go do it now if you go the deals lined up. Otherwise you will be waiting until next year about this time.

In my two years of following Pentax prices and buying stuff this has been my experience.
12-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 20-40mm just came in the mail today. It was a combination Birthday/Christmas gift I bought for myself. It was selling Used in Mint condition for $574 at B&H. This beats all the prices for that lens I have seen so far.

Since it was dark when the UPS guy showed up, I didn't have time to test it in bright sunlight, but preliminary result from indoor photos I have taken, is that this lens beats all other lenses I have purchased so far, (although I only have 4 other lenses). The picture quality is just outstanding and very sharp and contrasty. Also it is a very quiet lens without the bulky SDM. There are no color bleeds like my 35mm f2.8 macro, even at high ISO settings and the Pentax colors and 3D-look almost matches my 77mm f1.8 !

I can wait till tomorrow so I can take it out and see what it really can do. Maybe I'll post some photos. Who knows maybe I'll be disappointed...

Compared to my 100mm f2.8 Macro which I purchased a few months back, the colors are truer, the sharpness and contrast are better, this all I can say so far...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 12-20-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: add information
12-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by corvin Quote
Is there traditionally a post-Christmas price drop on lenses?
My experience has been that prices either stay the same or go back to status quo after the first of the year.

Steve

12-19-2014, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At least in the last two years prices seem to be at about the best between Thanksgiving and New Years.
12-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yup, what they said. This is probably as good as it gets if you are buying new.
12-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy it now. Last few years things went back up after new years. YMMV
12-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
My 20-40mm just came in the mail today. It was a combination Birthday/Christmas gift I bought for myself. It was selling Used in Mint condition for $574. This beats all the prices for that lens I have seen so far.

Since it was dark when the UPS guy showed up, I didn't have time to test it in bright sunlight, but preliminary result from indoor photos I have taken, is that this lens beats all other lenses I have purchased so far, (although I only have 4 other lenses). The picture quality is just outstanding and very sharp and contrasty. Also it is a very quiet lens without the bulky SDM. There are no color bleeds like my 35mm f2.8 macro, even at high ISO settings and the Pentax colors and 3D-look almost matches my 77mm f1.8 !

I can wait till tomorrow so I can take it out and see what it really can do. Maybe I'll post some photos. Who knows maybe I'll be disappointed...

Compared to my 100mm f2.8 Macro which I purchased a few months back, the colors are truer, the sharpness and contrast are better, this all I can say so far...
Congratulation for a new toy for Xmas... is this DC motor lens? I am very interested in this lens for travelling (use mainly for indoor low-light condition with flash).
12-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Congratulation for a new toy for Xmas... is this DC motor lens? I am very interested in this lens for travelling (use mainly for indoor low-light condition with flash).

Yes according to the Specs it has a DC motor built in that draws power from the camera body.
12-20-2014, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do not expect post christmas sales--it's not like sweaters. :~)
12-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Gonna pull the trigger on this today, then.

Thanks for the replies. I've got the Tamron 90 macro and I think this will pair with it well (and be useful for wider shots, too).
12-20-2014, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PS

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Do not expect post christmas sales--it's not like sweaters. :~)
There may, however, be some interesting bargains in the PF Marketplace in the wake of upgrades found under the tree. ;~)