Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
At least in the last two years prices seem to be at about the best between Thanksgiving and New Years.
While you may find a deal or 2 after New Years, the best overall price cuts are during this time period. Buy now or pay more. In my experience, prices rise in late winter and spring in the US due to tax refunds arriving. People spend those refunds on things like camera gear and all the manufacturers take advantage of that fact.

12-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
While you may find a deal or 2 after New Years, the best overall price cuts are during this time period. Buy now or pay more. In my experience, prices rise in late winter and spring in the US due to tax refunds arriving. People spend those refunds on things like camera gear and all the manufacturers take advantage of that fact.
I never put that together, but you are probably right!
12-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I never put that together, but you are probably right!
I discovered it the hard way! The year I decided to spend my refund on the DA 15, they went on back order in late February. When they finally reappeared, the prices went up considerably. Remember the "Hoya Tax" as it was referred to?
12-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
There may, however, be some interesting bargains in the PF Marketplace in the wake of upgrades found under the tree. ;~)
I am very much hoping to pick up a 18-135 WR for a reasonable price if someone gets a good upgrade .

And thanks again for the advice here. I appreciate it.

12-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
There may, however, be some interesting bargains in the PF Marketplace in the wake of upgrades found under the tree. ;~)
Would love to get a good price on a 55-300...
12-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
My 20-40mm just came in the mail today. It was a combination Birthday/Christmas gift I bought for myself. It was selling Used in Mint condition for $574 at B&H. This beats all the prices for that lens I have seen so far.

Since it was dark when the UPS guy showed up, I didn't have time to test it in bright sunlight, but preliminary result from indoor photos I have taken, is that this lens beats all other lenses I have purchased so far, (although I only have 4 other lenses). The picture quality is just outstanding and very sharp and contrasty. Also it is a very quiet lens without the bulky SDM. There are no color bleeds like my 35mm f2.8 macro, even at high ISO settings and the Pentax colors and 3D-look almost matches my 77mm f1.8 !

I can wait till tomorrow so I can take it out and see what it really can do. Maybe I'll post some photos. Who knows maybe I'll be disappointed...

Compared to my 100mm f2.8 Macro which I purchased a few months back, the colors are truer, the sharpness and contrast are better, this all I can say so far...
Congratulation on your new purchase! I got my 20-40 on Thanksgiving. It replaced my A50/1.7 and became the walkaround lens on my camera. I like the extra flexibility; not too much that I'd become lazy and stand still when I take a photo.
12-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #22
Forum Member

Having watched the lens market for the last 25 years in this time frame. The deals more less start waning between the 26th to the 31st of December. Prices start to stiffen back up after the New Years through May. For some reason after May through early June there is a slight break in price. This time of year is the end of prime time. See a bargain right now "my advice is grab it". Do your research before pulling the trigger.

Most of all buy what suits your photographic needs, not what your photographic dreams are. Shoot what you know best and learn to do it well. If funds and time are available to you to shoot your dreams. Choose very carefully and learn to do it well.

It's not that you show your peer's "Hey Look I have the latest Blah Blah Blah Limited Lens, see how cool I am". I can knock those guys on their ass with a K-10D and the images captured with a simple A 50mm f2.

Just some of the lenses I have had in my hands and sold http://www.pbase.com/bluewater_studio/pentax_lenses

Last edited by pento57mm; 12-26-2014 at 11:16 PM.