Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens collections

For those of you afflicted with LBA and have a "few" lenses...where do you put them?
I was looking on Amazon for some ideas and came upon the below link.
I thought that I'd be able to modify it a little bit to hold a few more lenses.
You can see the dilemma in my signature....

Amazon.com : Orion 05959 Deluxe Large Accessory Case (Black) : Telescope Cases : Electronics

12-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you buy a case for storage, it won't cure your LBA: it will exacerbate the disease. (A bit like taking up smoking because you have lung cancer?)
This time next year you will be buying another case to store all the new stuff.
Perhaps you need surgery and cut some of your less used or redundant lenses.
Either way, "Good luck"
12-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have mine out on a table in my office that gets natural light and allows me to see them. A few older MF lenses are in my backpack with desiccant for storage. It helps keep me honest about how many lenses I have, both with myself and with She Who Must be Obeyed
12-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Pelican.... the pick and pluck foam is excellent, unless you want to constantly re-arrange the case.

12-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
For those of you afflicted with LBA and have a "few" lenses...where do you put them?

Amazon.com : Orion 05959 Deluxe Large Accessory Case (Black) : Telescope Cases : Electronics
You can also see my dilemma in my signature.
Nearly all my lenses have cases, most old and new zooms came with one, for nice primes I buy leather cases from Asia, for the rest cheep cases from China.
Each case has at least 1x Silica Gel inside plus that way is much easier to manage caps.
Some lenses in my bedroom, some in my study, I also have at least 2x bodies with a number of lenses at my work,so if I feel like going for a walk during lunch or after work I have a reasonable choice of gear.
Yes, I love glass.....
12-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DBGrip Quote
Pelican.... the pick and pluck foam is excellent, unless you want to constantly re-arrange the case.
I second the recommendation for Pelican. The pick-n-pluck foam is fine....at first. For the ultimate in professional storage go to a site like mycasebuilder.com and get custom-cut foam. Wait until your lens collection is stable, of course. I was able to kick LBA once I got a set-up to my liking, but I actually use this Pelican Amazon.com: Pelican Large Hardware and Accessory Case with Padded Dividers 1560-004-110: Camera & Photo to store my bodies, flashes, filters, and Pentax/Sigma lenses. It uses padded dividers instead of foam. My Zeiss lenses, however, are in a much smaller Pelican case with custom-cut foam. I've had this set-up for 2-3 years and I'm still very pleased with it.
12-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I started with a dedicated deep file drawer in my desk. Lined the bottom with terry towels. Filled the drawer with lenses and camera bag. Bought more lenses and another bag. Drawer was now too small, so books on shelf above desk were donated to make room for displayed lenses. I still use the file drawer for my Go Bag with ready gear and for new lenses too shy for public display. Second gear bag is always ready to receive camera body and chosen lenses. I like the open bookshelf display for the lenses because they are beautiful to my eyes. So the lens bags wind up in the deep file drawer with the Go Bags. I have a console dehumidifier next to my desk and maintain the relative humidity in the range I want. I think my lenses might like a small tanning bed also.

12-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have this since I live in a tropical, humid country:

072B Liters DX-76 Auto Dry Box | EurekaDryTech

But sooner than later, I know that I'll have to get this:

132B Liters DX-126 Auto Dry Box | EurekaDryTech
12-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I like that case. Nice find. I bought a secretary desk at IKEA in Chicago for $250 and store all my stuff in there. My lens collection has since changed quite a bit from this old picture, but you get the idea. The bottom cabinets house my camera bags and other miscellaneous stuff. It's all camera gear though.

12-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi Peter, you have a nice lens collection! Some of your items are on my (never shortening ) wishlist, too.
So far I only dedicated one shelf in a cabinet for lenses, but that's just a temporary solution.

Once you choose and get some case, kindly let us know how it matches with your lenses.
12-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Keep them at the girlfriends place so the wife won't find them.
Errr well not mine.... There all here, see !
12-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

+1 for a Pelican case with padded dividers.

A case is not a solution to LBA. It just turns into CCA (Camera Case Addiction).
12-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't see the point of having a collection but not displaying it. I'd get a nice cabinet with a glass door. If nothing else, Ikea can help you with that.
12-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It's really a working collection. So I never thought about displaying them. I'd need another 50 or so to really be a collector anyway
12-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I only have a couple of lenses, and a 400mm coming; everything fits nicely in my new LowePro Nova 200 AW shoulder bag. However, for my astronomy 16" telescope eyepieces, I made a special wood insert for my eyepiece case that holds the lenses nicely. I also put a small metal strip across the front inside of the case, and put small magnets in the bottom of my filter cases. This allows the cases to be easy on/easy off.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FZ40  Photo