Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Which lenses to take on a cruise?

I am not going to take all my lenses, that is more bulk than I want.

I have the following:

The two kit lenses:
18-55
50-200

Tamron 90 Macro
Plastic Fantastic 35 2.4

Sigma 28-80 Zoom with Macro

Plus my two screw mount lenses for astrophotography but I am definitely leaving them at home.

I am definitely taking the kit lenses, just too darn convenient for travel.

But I was thinking about taking one more.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, and this forum totally rocks!

12-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take the 18-55 and the 50-200. What I would definitely take that you do not have is a fast 50mm.

My ideal light travel kit would be 18-135, 55-300 and F 50mm f/1.4. Without a fast lens you are handicapped at night or in low light.
12-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Take the two kit lenses and the 35/2.4. Its faster, a good "normal" focal length, is really light, and has better IQ than the 18-55.
12-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The 18-55 and the 50-200 will have you well covered. The Tamron macro if you think you might have opportunities for close ups plus it's also a good lens for portraits. The 35/2.4 is small and doesn't take up space. The 2 primes are faster and will give you better low light shots also.

12-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Agree with Jatrax also, unless you don't plan on taking pictures after sunset or indoors, I would take a fast medium wide lens (your 35f2.4 will do) plus a small hot-shoe flash.
12-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I assume the cruise will stop of at exotic places?
The Tamron would be good for native flowers etc, but would be best on a tripod for macro. Are you taking a tripod?
On the other hand the extra range of the 50-200 might be more useful over all.
It depends on what is going to be the focus of your cruise.
The Sigma's range is covered by the two kit lenses, but then it has a limited macro capability.

If it were me I'd leave out one pair of shorts and pack more lenses!

edit; All the above replies arrived while I was typing. there seems to be good agreement for both kit lenses. I forgot to mention the 35 but I would squeeze it in somewhere (it is a big boat isn't it?).
12-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I assume the cruise will stop of at exotic places?
The Tamron would be good for native flowers etc, but would be best on a tripod for macro. Are you taking a tripod?
On the other hand the extra range of the 50-200 might be more useful over all.
It depends on what is going to be the focus of your cruise.
The Sigma's range is covered by the two kit lenses, but then it has a limited macro capability.

If it were me I'd leave out one pair of shorts and pack more lenses!
My lovely wife and I our going to a few places in the Caribbean, including Belize, Honduras and Cozumel Mexico.

I am not taking one of my tripods. Just too much to carry and pack.

Does that help in your recommendation?

Thanks.

12-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just take the 35mm f2.4. It's adaptable to most situations, and will let you just get on and enjoy the holiday.
12-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
My lovely wife and I our going to a few places in the Caribbean, including Belize, Honduras and Cozumel Mexico.

Thanks.
Unless you have a special purpose during the cruise, there is really no time for macro shots or set up time to shoot with tripod (although if you have a small one, you may). I did it once before and will never do it again.
12-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
there is really no time for macro shots or set up time to shoot with tripod
The voice of experience. I haven't ever desired to going on a cruise, so I never even thought about the time factor on stopovers.
12-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Given where you are stopping and that you have a K-50, I'd try to take at least one WR lens. Not that you have one but .......
12-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote

Thanks.
Take 18mm and 200mm range as well, you will regret if you don't. Don't forget polarized filters. It also depends on what you plan to visit at those destinations. For temples in Belize 18 will be good to cover all view. Also in Belize you will take a boat to reach the land.
Honduras and Cozumel- I can not say much because I was not interested in Honduras destinations much, and interested in Cozumel tequilas more than in anything else. If you want whole ship pictures, 18mm and up would be the best. For views from the ship you may wish bigger than 200mm. Also, getting far enough South, watch for flying fish in water. It was my pain having only 55mm lens and watching fish flying out pretty often.

For your next cruise book St.Marteen and go to Maho beach!
12-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It seems that the consensus is definitely for the two kit lenses and the 35 is also getting a lot of support. I agree,it is a compact and light lens with pretty darn solid image quality. I might have my wife fiddle around with the Sigma zoom though and see if she might want to take it. There are going to be a couple of times when I will be diving that she might want to shoot some pretty flowers or something else like that in macro. But that is kinda of marginal.

Thanks to everyone for rational, positive and productive input. Really, this place is fabulous.👏
12-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bad weatehr? Stay inside and shot lounge shots with the 35/2.4, which I think would be a good all-around lens for travel. Keep the 50-200 handy in case whales, dolphins or other oceanic phenomena appear.
12-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Oh, and don't forget to wake up early to shoot sunrise. It's spectacular.