Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks muchly for all of the feedback. I have another question about primes, but I'm guessing the proper proceedure is to start a new thread...
Thanks again...

05-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
I'd be interested to learn how many of the really great photos that are posted on the site are "tweeked", but that's another thread...
Thx for the feedback.
QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
Beaumont, you'll find that many of the folks who post photos on this site at all frequently are pretty explicit about what they have/have not done to their images prior to posting.

There're those who offer up nothing more than conversion from RAW and a crop (and some who object strenuously if the EXIF data has been removed in the conversion). Still others are happy post-processing to get the image to look the way they have in mind. It takes all sorts!

Congrats on your acquisition of the 31 LTD! A well-regarded prime.
Hi Beaumont,

First off, nice photo using a well-regarded lens! That's what one guy at work calls me - a "hack"...

I'll be the first to tell people what has been done to a photo, outside of a possible exposure correction. As Christine indicated, I do like being explicit... Smugmug's changed the simplicity of seeing the EXIF data in the images, which is unfortunate. It used to be easy, so people have to take my word on the EXIF or go to my website to confirm.

I normally do minimal changes, since I shoot a lot in Manual Mode, so I have much more control, and I dislike a lot of manipulation. In my mind the photo should be what I took at the time I pressed the shutter. Sometimes the camera interprets incorrectly what our eyes see, so I've got to correct the incorrect interpretation of the camera...

I encourage you to look at my work and decide for yourself as to how much "tweaking" is really going on. BTW, my main lenses (except for the DA 12-24 are primes). As I've told my friends, I prefer to let my work do the talking - I cannot sell myself very well...

Regards,
Marc
05-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Hi Beaumont,

First off, nice photo using a well-regarded lens! That's what one guy at work calls me - a "hack"...

I'll be the first to tell people what has been done to a photo, outside of a possible exposure correction. As Christine indicated, I do like being explicit... Smugmug's changed the simplicity of seeing the EXIF data in the images, which is unfortunate. It used to be easy, so people have to take my word on the EXIF or go to my website to confirm.

I normally do minimal changes, since I shoot a lot in Manual Mode, so I have much more control, and I dislike a lot of manipulation. In my mind the photo should be what I took at the time I pressed the shutter. Sometimes the camera interprets incorrectly what our eyes see, so I've got to correct the incorrect interpretation of the camera...

I encourage you to look at my work and decide for yourself as to how much "tweaking" is really going on. BTW, my main lenses (except for the DA 12-24 are primes). As I've told my friends, I prefer to let my work do the talking - I cannot sell myself very well...

Regards,
Marc

Wow, Very nice work indeed Marc! Good to know that this can be done with knowledge, the right tools, practice and timing...Old school!!!
05-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Wow, Very nice work indeed Marc! Good to know that this can be done with knowledge, the right tools, practice and timing...Old school!!!
But not old fart... Seriously, thank you and I hope you enjoyed them!

You are quite correct: I am very traditional in some ways: hard work, practice+practice+practice, the right tools (makes my job easier, nothing more), timing... and LOTS AND LOTS of patience! Throw skill, experience and a good eye into the mix, and usually the results can be rewarding, sometimes frustrating.

Applying oneself is the way to success, IMHO. I've only been shooting seriously for a year and 10 months, and big chunks of that time were done doing other things, so it's closer to a year that I've been shooting seriously. Did I mention practice?

Please continue to post images or questions/comments ! I will always learn and grow from others' experience(s). You can always learn from old-timers in photography, and the newcomers. Everyone (generally) has something positive to contribute.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 05-26-2008 at 09:45 PM.