Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

31 ltd in the hands of a hack...

Bought my first prime (DA50 1.4) a few weeks ago... liked the lens, mostly the speed for indoor shots. I then started thinking long range to begin charting out a roadmap of potential lenses. After delving into the threads and seeing all the positive feedback re the FA31ltd, I thought at some point this would be a lens to get. Then I thought, because of it's speed, it would probably overlap my only existing prime (the 50). Being very much an amateur, I have an extreme learning curve ahead of me, but I thought if I'm only going to have a limited number of lenses, why have both?...Therefore I returned the DA50 for a full refund and bought a 31ltd.
Yesterday was my first day with it. As mentioned, I am a rookie, but attached is a shot which I think shows the capabilities of this lens even in the hands of a hack. While it is cropped, it was taken in JPEG format without any other changes.
I now have the kit lens (which I will likely put on ebay), a DA 18-250 which I am extremely happy with from a "usefullnes" perspective, and the FA 31. (I think the DA70 is probably next, later this year.)
Thanks to all that have contributed to these threads as it is one heck of a resource library. (Wish me luck.)

Last edited by beaumont; 02-07-2011 at 07:49 PM.
05-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
cmv

Great photo to show off the out of focus blur with that lens. You might end up missing the FA50 though but only you can decide that . Right now, I'm missing something in the area of the 31 LTD but so far have resisted the urge.
05-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very good skin tone and overall look. Congradulation on the lens.
05-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[QUOTE=roentarre;252147]Very good skin tone and overall look.

Not really, although you can't tell from the photo, she's actually Caucasian. Just kidding. Yeah, I'm very happy with the tones. I'd be interested to learn how many of the really great photos that are posted on the site are "tweeked", but that's another thread...
Thx for the feedback.

05-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
I think the DA70 is probably next, later this year.
I think instead it will be the FA77.

Oh yes and good luck... LBA kicking in in 3, 2, 1....
05-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

nice shot, lens and humor... welcome Mr Hack.
05-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think instead it will be the FA77.

Oh yes and good luck... LBA kicking in in 3, 2, 1....
Yeah, you could be right re the 77 vs the 70. Part of my rationalization re the 31 price tag was that I would save a few dollars going with the 70 vs the 77. However, now I'm begining to think the opposite....Probably one of the first symptoms of LBA I'm guessing. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
05-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Yeah, you could be right re the 77 vs the 70. Part of my rationalization re the 31 price tag was that I would save a few dollars going with the 70 vs the 77. However, now I'm begining to think the opposite....Probably one of the first symptoms of LBA I'm guessing. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!
Congrats, Beaumont
Is she your daughter? She is lovely.
So you think the color is wrong? Hmm, my suggestion is, tell her to move out from the shade, how about that?
31 Ltd is an amazing lens indeed. Ihave the 43 Ltd and love it so much.
One day, I want to have all the Limiteds

Happy shooting,

05-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont;252113[B:
]Bought my first prime (DA50 1.4)[/B] a few weeks ago... liked the lens, mostly the speed for indoor shots.

you meant fa 50 1.4?

nice shot anyway.
05-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Syb
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmv Quote
I'm missing something in the area of the 31 LTD but so far have resisted the urge.
Here is my advise: consider the DA35mm Macro. Lots cheaper, yes, a little bit slower, but with the added value of a macro lens! I love that one!

Sorry, no intention to hack this thread. Congrats on nice pic and wonderful lens!
05-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
you meant fa 50 1.4?

nice shot anyway.
Oooops, you are correct, the FA. Nice lens, (and probably the best bang for the buck) but as mentioned with my potential roadmap, I thought the 31 would be fast enough and I was able to get the full refund. (If I have too many lenses, the Mrs will likely start a collection of something...)
05-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Here is my advise: consider the DA35mm Macro. Lots cheaper, yes, a little bit slower, but with the added value of a macro lens! I love that one!

Sorry, no intention to hack this thread. Congrats on nice pic and wonderful lens!
No offense taken. (A couple of great reviews on the 35 macro on this database.)
thx
05-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This very much confirms why I think the 31 ltd. is the best lens there is.
05-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=beaumont;252177]
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
...snip...I'd be interested to learn how many of the really great photos that are posted on the site are "tweeked", but that's another thread...snip.
Beaumont, you'll find that many of the folks who post photos on this site at all frequently are pretty explicit about what they have/have not done to their images prior to posting.

There're those who offer up nothing more than conversion from RAW and a crop (and some who object strenuously if the EXIF data has been removed in the conversion). Still others are happy post-processing to get the image to look the way they have in mind. It takes all sorts!

Congrats on your acquisition of the 31 LTD! A well-regarded prime.
05-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
Inactive Account

As Christine says, I think most people want you to know that they haven't done anything to a shot when they haven't. Most of the rest can be assumed to have some, which is usally mentioned. Even if a shot is tweaked though, its still working from the quality base of the original capture, so even if you can end up with a final result 90% as good, taken with a lens 90% cheaper, correcting for poor quality will take twice as long to edit it and you still won't get 100% results.

The FA31 will give you years of consistant, predictably good (and easy to edit, if thats your bag) shots.