Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
How do you convert a camera to B&W infrared? How ever it's done, that photo is way cool! Anyway, I'd buy new, unless you wouldn't get it in time, maybe keep the rental for another week or something as insurance?

12-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #17

i would've said buy new because of a longer warranty, but then everyone else's posts reminded me of this article from lensrentals: LensRentals.com - Roger's New Toy Needs a Name

they have the tools to really test their lenses
12-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I think it's sad that Pentax can't provide sufficient quality control for its lenses that seemingly customers would pay the same price for a used/tested lens than for a brand new lens.

One problem with the new-lens warranty is that by many accounts, you'd send it in and wait. And wait. And wait. That greatly diminishes the value of the warranty.
12-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
One problem with the new-lens warranty is that by many accounts, you'd send it in and wait. And wait. And wait.
Certainly true a few months back but recent reports are quite different. They turned my 18-135 around in 3 days. Hopefully they are finally getting a handle on the whole repair thing.
That greatly diminishes the value of the warranty.
I have seen reports of cameras taking 2 to 3 months to fix, which seems to use up a good bit of the warranty 'lifespan' sitting around in the shop, not good. They need to do better, and recent reports seem to indicate they are improving, hopefully enough.

12-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

...I think it's sad that Pentax can't provide sufficient quality control for its lenses that seemingly customers would pay the same price for a used/tested lens than for a brand new lens...
Yep, hence my first post... Got my K-5 II a week ago, took the black-friday deal on a new (first new photographic item I ever bought) just to find out that it doesn't seem to focus at anything over 20 feet - just tried to capture Toronto's skyline under a great sunset yesterday, a few miles away, and the lens' focus plane kept 'stopping' at some houses near by; took around 10, or 15 shots, to confirm, but sadly it will have to go back...
To the OP again, if it works great on your camera, it's tested, so I would not risk a new one...
12-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
How do you convert a camera to B&W infrared? How ever it's done, that photo is way cool! Anyway, I'd buy new, unless you wouldn't get it in time, maybe keep the rental for another week or something as insurance?
The B&W part is done in post, as usual, but there are services that will remove the IR filter that sits in front of your sensor.

Canon sold a few DSLRs with modified (removed?) IR filters for astro work--the 20Da and the 60Da. Pretty cool.
12-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nothing wrong with buying the copy you have rented from Lensrentals.com. The premium you paid went to testing the lens and verifying it's performance. Consider it similar to going to a brick and mortar store and demo'ing one of their lenses from the counter. Not only that but you did it for a while and even processed the images on your computer. That's got to be worth something.