Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Removal of aperture control lever and the guard

I have a question for K-mount experts. I own a manual Pentax lens (50 mm f2), which I would like to adapt for use with Canon EF mount. To do this I will have to remove the aperture control lever and the guard that protects it. I still have a Pentax DSLR, which is now used by my daughter, so I would like to retain the possibility to use this lens also on Pentax cameras. Will it work on Pentax cameras with the aperture control lever and the guard removed? I know that the aperture control lever can be removed and then installed back when needed so, can I find somewhere instructions for removing the lever so that it could be reinstalled later? I found instructions for converting K-mount lenses for Canon, but according to them it is necessary to cut the protruding part of the lever with clippers and I would like to avoid that. However the guard will definitely have to go as it will interfere with the mirror in my Canon.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
12-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It will still work on Pentax DSLRs, but the diaphragm will be fully manual so the viewfinder will get darker as you stop down.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

Why not pick up a screw mount lens and adapters for the Pentax and Canon. You can leave the f/2 for your daughter the use and you both can use the screw mount lens. All without modification.
12-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some k-mount lenses, you can remove the aperture control lever from the lens (this process is reversible), so it behaves more-or-less like m42 lens (yet with k-mount) and use Av mode instead. Of course, then you will use stop-down metering, and not worrying about hitting the 'green' button, and it also supports exposure compensation. However, if you plan to use the lens to stop-down to f8 or more, then you will have a hard time getting the focus as it will be too dark looking through the viewfinder.

12-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alegznn Quote
which I would like to adapt for use with Canon EF mount
alegznn, I use numerous Pentax K lenses on multiple Canon and Pentax bodies, and I often carry both brand bodies and interchange the Pentax lenses between the systems. Before you even think about modifying the lens, please first confirm the model Canon you want to use this with. Most of the APS-C Canon bodies do not require any lens modification. The mirror is smaller on the these, and it clears the lever. If you want to use it on a Full-Frame sensor body (6D, 5D, 1D...) you only need to modify the lens if you want to use the optical view finder. You can even use an unmodified Pentax lens on the Canon Full-frame body if you activate live-view mode before attaching the lens, and then detach the lens before deactivating live view. If you are shooting on an older Canon film body, you must modify the lens.
12-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
jbondo, I own a full-frame Canon 6D. I was surprised to learn that I could use the lens without modification in live view mode, thank you for the information. Still, I think I better perform this modification just to be on the safe side.

---------- Post added 12-30-14 at 10:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Why not pick up a screw mount lens and adapters for the Pentax and Canon.
Not a Number, I haven't been able to accumulate a collection of old Pentax lenses yet. I really like the photos I was able to shoot with that 50 mm lens on my Pentax that's why I would like to try it on Canon.
12-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #7

I really like the photos I was able to shoot with that 50 mm lens on my Pentax that's why I would like to try it on Canon.
Well the black part with the shield is held in place by 3 or 4 screws on barrel of the bayonet. You can remove it and probably leave it off but you might get some light reflecting around inside. The lever is sometimes held on to a ring with a couple of screws. It might be spot welded on budget lenses.

Here are some disassembly instructions for the M 50mm f/2.0
Pentax 50mm repair 1

An exploded parts diagram for the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 can be found here (Password: Pentax)
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/smca5017.pdf
The screws that hold the shield part are labeled T-CSS in the diagram. Though different lenses there should be some similarities.

Get yourself some JIS drivers and maybe a lens spanner and have a go at it. Heed the warning about the little ball bearing.

12-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The guard is just 3 screws.
That's pretty obvious.

The lever though is attached my some sort of weld or riveting.
So you got to snip it off 8f you want to user it on the 6D
12-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #9

I think you can leave the whole ring and lever assembly (O-X76 on the A f/1.7 diagram) out. I didn't drip down my f/1.7 down that far to see.
12-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
Many thanks to everybody for the advice and info!
12-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
modification just to be on the safe side.
Good plan. The 6d takes longer to cycle after stopping a burst (or single for that matter) in live view, so you get faster shooting rates if you do the lens mod. Also If you are using a chipped adapter, the focus confirmation only works when using the optical viewfinder.