Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I rented one from Camera Lens Rentals and didn't send it back.

It's amazing how much the performance of my K10D improved when I put that FA50 on it.

05-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
jro

This was the first lens I bought besides the kit lens and 50-200. It's really a no-brainer. With this lens, the (admittedly grainy) ISO 1600 setting of the K100D, and the in-camera SR, I can take low light no-flash concert pictures that I just shouldn't be able to, especially for a system this affordable.
05-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I concur - it is a 'must have' lens in the camera bag. You can't beat it for price or quality. It also works happily in my MZ-5N, too.
05-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K100Dave Quote
This lens is a no brainer for Pentaxians. If you've got the LBA fever, and don't have this lens. Shame on you, b/c you're missing out on one of the best bargains out there.
Argh it is true, the shame is upon me!

Please forgive me as I hate the look of the FA series... they might fit on my camera but they do not fit inside my head. They would chase all the ghosts away. And don't think any the less of me for using a 43LTD instead.

05-27-2008, 05:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I once owned a FA 50 f/1.4. Sold it to my friend. Realized I made a bad mistake selling it, bought another copy, and another copy as well for a client.

Got the FA 43 f/1.9 Ltd, liked the colour rendition but hated the so-so performance wide open and the horrible purple fringing. Now I feel I it makes more sense to have the FA 50 f/1.4 considering the next lens to have is the DA 35mm Macro as it gives a better spacing of the focal lengths.
05-27-2008, 06:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Got the FA 43 f/1.9 Ltd, liked the colour rendition but hated the so-so performance wide open and the horrible purple fringing.
While any fast lens will perform better stopped down a bit, I have not been bitten by this problem. This is wide open on the streets at night. You can follow it and grab all my photos tagged with that lens to see many more.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Now I feel I it makes more sense to have the FA 50 f/1.4 considering the next lens to have is the DA 35mm Macro as it gives a better spacing of the focal lengths.
Fair enough. I think price would be another serious consideration. The only thing that stopped me from getting the DA 35mm Macro was that it did not exist at the time. Now I see little reason to change, though maybe somewhere down the line I might. The fact that I own 2 macros plus the V2XMFTC is disincentive.
05-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miniman82 Quote
Seriously!

I wasn't even considering buying this lens, because all the internet adds make it look like some cheap plasticky looking thing. That, and the price at some of these online places in NY seem to reinforce the idea. BUT-I was at the camera store in Fresno looking to buy a replacement for my recently sold *ist body, and they had one on the shelf. WTH, I figure. As long as I'm here I might as well check it out, and see if it's as cheesy as the pictures make it out to be.

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong people, and I apologize for even thinking it. I figured I'd end up with an older 50 someday, maybe a Super Tak or something along those lines. It's got some weight to it, it's tack sharp, goes wide as I'll ever need, and the price is oh so right.
I took some quick shots in the store, and they even let me go into the dimly lit stockroom to try out that fast aperture! Needless to say, I bought the lens without even thinking twice about it, and I couldn't be happier.

If I can figure out what's wrong with my Pentax photo software ATM, I'll post some shots.
Again, I'm dumbfunded I didn't buy this sooner.
If you're serious about not knowing the rave reviews about this lens, then I'm guessing you may not know about thoughts re the others? If so, I'd recommened to anyone to make sure they check out the lens reviews on this forum as there is some very good feedback and advise...
Congrats on seeing the light (and low light)...
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
honestly, if you want a toy try the Canon EF 50/1.8- their 50/1.4 is great, but the 1.8 costs less than $100, and you can definitely feel it.
Yet despite this it supposedly has pretty good IQ, resulting in it being nicknamed the "plastic fantastic".

It seems that on any system, it's nearly impossible to go wrong with a fast 50.

05-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #24

can you tell me about a Lens Hood for pentax 50mm?

rubber? metal? flower?
05-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

(Groan!)

Why did I click on this thread?

I'm on the verge of buying a 50 or 100mm macro, but reading this thread makes me want to run out and get an FA 50 f1.4 - a lens which I do want!

Must do more thinking.

Mike
05-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
(Groan!)

Why did I click on this thread?

I'm on the verge of buying a 50 or 100mm macro, but reading this thread makes me want to run out and get an FA 50 f1.4 - a lens which I do want!

Must do more thinking.

Mike
Mike, I see your passion with portraits work, and I highly recommend this least expensive prime from Pentax. I answered these in another thread:

• Least expensive prime NEW from Pentax with AutoFocus
  • Good for both digital, film and full frame
  • Great speed at f/1.4, but I use it mostly at f/1.8 and f/2.0 for the widest
  • Ideal speed for focusing for night time shooting
  • Great and smooth bokeh for portrait
  • Good color and contrast for daytime photos
  • Good sharpness when stopped down to f/2.0 in my experience. Some people go higher as in f/1.8
  • least PF/CA noted in my use
  • Reasonable AF, and manual focus is NOT bad on this prime

I have an older write up that summed up my amateur impressions on this lens

The other alternatives will be Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0, DA 40mm f/2.8, and the latest DA * 35mm f/2.8 Macro. But none are as inexpensive as the FA 50 f/1.4. And for my amateur needs for nighttime photos and portraits, the lens does more than I can ask for.

Last edited by hinman; 05-27-2008 at 07:12 PM.
05-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Here's a shot from a favourite series of mine .... sorry to make everyone drool (over the lens or the food ... whichever).

05-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Mike, I see your passion with portraits work, and I highly recommend this least expensive prime from Pentax. I answered these in another thread:

• Least expensive prime NEW from Pentax with AutoFocus
  • Good for both digital, film and full frame
  • Great speed at f/1.4, but I use it mostly at f/1.8 and f/2.0 for the widest
  • Ideal speed for focusing for night time shooting
  • Great and smooth bokeh for portrait
  • Good color and contrast for daytime photos
  • Good sharpness when stopped down to f/2.0 in my experience. Some people go higher as in f/1.8
  • least PF/CA noted in my use
  • Reasonable AF, and manual focus is NOT bad on this prime

I have an older write up that summed up my amateur impressions on this lens

The other alternatives will be Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0, DA 40mm f/2.8, and the latest DA * 35mm f/2.8 Macro. But none are as inexpensive as the FA 50 f/1.4. And for my amateur needs for nighttime photos and portraits, the lens does more than I can ask for.
Thank you very much for remembering some of my portraits, Hin.

Yes, they are my passion.

And after reading some of your reviews, it's apparant that you are very knowledgeable on lenses and lens performance. You are a true asset to this forum!

I am really reconsidering what I will buy next.

Thank you again for your advice, and your kind words.

Mike
05-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Ok, ok!!!

LBA has struck! - I had to go look at this little gem and try it for myself, once it was on the cam it just seemed to stay on the cam and I left with a little less cash in my pocket. First impression, WOW! The DA50-200 has lost it's space in my carry kit. Also seems pretty good at the shoot from the hip shots on the street. Less seeking on the focus as compared to the DA18-55.

DEVS
05-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Here's a shot from a favourite series of mine .... sorry to make everyone drool (over the lens or the food ... whichever).
Hey Simon, you gonna put any meat on the barbie? It's looking a little empty.