Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
We discussed this lens in the other thread. It's the FA* 28-70mm/2.8
Thanks, Mo. I'll try harder to keep up in the future. :-)

That's a lot bigger lens than my Sigma 28-70!

Will

02-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Do you have the DG 2.8-4 version or the EX DG 2.8 version?

The power zoom makes this FA* big, but it's well worth it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I noted that Mo's lens is quite a bit bigger than my Sigma (same focal length range) and he replied:

Do you have the DG 2.8-4 version or the EX DG 2.8 version?

The power zoom makes this FA* big, but it's well worth it!

I have the EX DG fixed f/2.8. I got it to help with shoots of my daughter's basketball games. I rather like it.

What's a "power zoom"? Sounds like something worth having, but I don't know the term.

Will
02-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

What's a "power zoom"? Sounds like something worth having, but I don't know the term.

Will
Will,
The "power zoom" is a switch on the lens that engages a motor in the lens that controls the zoom rather than having to twist the zoom ring. As a result you just turn the zoom collar slightly in the direction you want to zoom and the lens zooms with a sound like a robot. I believe only the FA*28-70 and 80-200 had this feature. Others should feel free to correct or clarify my explanation. Technical writing is not my specialty
I had the FA*28-70 for a while but sold it because of the weight (partly due to power zoom feature) and because I never used the power zoom feature. Nonetheless as Adam will undoubtedly report, it helps the user produce a beautiful photo.
Regards,
Erl

02-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
The "power zoom" is a switch on the lens that engages a motor in the lens that controls the zoom rather than having to twist the zoom ring. As a result you just turn the zoom collar slightly in the direction you want to zoom and the lens zooms with a sound like a robot. I believe only the FA*28-70 and 80-200 had this feature.

Erl,

Thanks for the explanation. I am wondering though, how does this help? On my Sigma 28-70, to go from 28 to 70 or vice versa is about a one-fifth (~70 degree) turn, no more. In other words, it could hardly be simpler. So I'm missing the point of the motor. I appreciate your patience - I really do want to learn about these different things.

Will
02-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Hi Will,

Power zoom is a great to have on heavy lenses, especially the FA*'s. Instead of wasting energy to turn the zoom ring, you can focus on holding the lens steady while taking the shot

I'm pretty sure that only the following lenses support power zoom:
FA* 28-70mm/2.8
FA* 80-200mm/2.8
FA* 250-600mm/5.6
FA 28-80mm/3.5-4.5
FA 28-105mm/4-5.6
FA 70-200mm/4-5.6
FA 100-300mm/4.5-5.6

BTW, I'm about ready to start writing a review of the the 28-70. It's one of the greatest zooms I've ever shot with!

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Power zoom is a great to have on heavy lenses, especially the FA*'s. Instead of wasting energy to turn the zoom ring, you can focus on holding the lens steady while taking the shot.
Oh, I see. Not for me, really. The effort involved in turning the zoom ring is an important part of my physical exercise regimen.

QuoteQuote:
BTW, I'm about ready to start writing a review of the the 28-70. It's one of the greatest zooms I've ever shot with!
I'm looking forward to your review, Mo!

Thanks,

Will
02-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Erl,

Thanks for the explanation. I am wondering though, how does this help? On my Sigma 28-70, to go from 28 to 70 or vice versa is about a one-fifth (~70 degree) turn, no more. In other words, it could hardly be simpler. So I'm missing the point of the motor. I appreciate your patience - I really do want to learn about these different things.

Will
Will,
I do not think you are missing the point; I never really saw the need to use it. However, I am sure some people swear by its advantages and they are no doubt better photographers than I. For me the inconvenience of the lens' weight/size, especially when mounted on the small ist Ds, "outweighed" the "powerzoom" feature. As I mentioned I sold the lens and bought several other pieces of equipment with the proceeds. Though sadly I did not sell recently enough to reap the rewards of the current buying frenzy. All that said I do not mean to denigrate the lens. It took wonderful photos. However I am equally pleased with the images from my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 DI

Regards
Erl

02-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've now written the review and posted today's photos! Enjoy!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/2925-arizonan-landscape.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showproduct.php?product=219&cat=44

Adam

02-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

A nice review. Your photos really say it all. The color is rich, especially the cactus branch against the blue sky.
I also enjoyed the A 200 f2.8 photos. There was/is one of those on Ebay and I may have to check it out.
How did you find the weight of 28-70? My guess is it balanced well on the K10D.
Regards,
Erl
PS: I lived in Tucson for a while and your photos, coupled with 30 degree temps in Maryland, made me long for a southwestern winter.
02-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

There is another FA* 28-70 f2.8 for sale on ebay for those who are so inspired by Adam's photographs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%...3298&rd=1&rd=1
Maybe it is time to call the bank about a line of credit!
02-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Erl,

The lens is still a bit on the heavy side, but it feels great on the K10D. I really don't mind the weight as much as the overall diameter.

eBay's really been filling up with great lenses, I guess

Adam

02-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Where the powerzoom function really shines is when you use it with the big & heavy 80-200/2.8 and doing action/sports photography. Just set the camera to "sports" focus mode and zoom in/out by lightly pressing with your finger. Then mount the whole thing on a gimbal. Voila! Photography becomes fun and you don't fight the camera to take a picture.
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The 80-200mm is definitely the ultimate lens for sports photos, and I'm looking forward to using one!

IMO, however, the 28-70 would be much more useful for everyday shot, especially on DSLRs.

Adam

02-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

WOW that thing is huge! Not quite as big as the other monster lenses you've got, but for a 28-70 that thing is scary. Curiosity is killing me though - I'm wondering how this lens would look like on a K100D?