Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #1

See some fungus dot in my lens

Hi everyone,
I see some fungus dot in my FA43 and FA77. FA77 I don't use it very often so I put in my pouch with some desiccant, but it still grows a dot.
FA43 I use quite a lot so there are some dust in it even. I am very sad and worried about my babies. What should I do? Will they harm my lens a lot if I take no action?

Have any one tried Erik hendrickson? I see lots of people send in their camera for repair and get good result, but seldom see people send in lenses.

Need help, thank you

01-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atalashi Quote
I don't use it very often so I put in my pouch with some desiccant, but it still grows a dot.
Desiccant only removes a small amount of moisture and then is useless. If it is used fresh inside a sealed package it works fine. Used in an environment where moisture (humidity) can still enter it will soon be used up and have no value unless it is dried out again.
What should I do? Will they harm my lens a lot if I take no action?
Fungus can and will completely ruin a lens if left alone to grow. If you are in an environment that has high humidity you might try a warm box. This is just a box or cabinet with a small light bulb in it, the light bulb heats up the interior and keeps the lenses warm and dry. There are plans on the web for building one safely.
Have any one tried Erik hendrickson? I see lots of people send in their camera for repair and get good result, but seldom see people send in lenses.
Eric has repaired a number of lenses for me, highly recommended. He has always been fair and never charged more than needed.
01-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have never tried it but I've been told that a few minutes exposure to bright sunlight will kill the fungus. It won't remove the existing spots but it will stop it from growing. It's not a huge problem where I live.