Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2015, 03:37 AM   #1

What lens should I save up for next?

So I literally just sold my k50 and an extra manual 50mm 1.7 lens I had to a friend.

I have a k01 I usually leave another 50mm 1.7 manual lens on as my "compact not in your face setup."

I used the money from the k50 and put it towards a k3 body and a da50mm 1.8.

I currently own :

Smc-m 50mm 1.7

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 ( my usual walk around lens)

Asahi 135mm f2.8

Tokina 35mm -105mm with the close focus feature

Soligar 80-200mm

I mainly shoot cityscapes, I do a lot of light painting, I do the occasional roaming photography at parties, I do creative product photography, and sometimes have fun with macro photography.

I can't decide what I should get next as far as a lens with a 300 dollar budget, I kind of want the wr 18-135mm so I can shoot in the rain and be able to cover a range of focal lengths, I thought about getting the 2.4 35mm but figured my tamron covered that range, and I am quite pleased with the iq from it, is the difference between 2.4 and 2.8 noticeable? I thought about a Samyang / rokinon fisheye also for fun architecture and long exposure shots.

I'm basically looking for any suggestions that can help me get better with the things I do and that wouldn't hold the k3 back. I don't mind manual lens, and I havnt looked into the Ltd lenses much but would consider saving up for the right one. I hear good things about 15, 21, and 77.

01-05-2015, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #2

For cityscapes, I'd strongly consider an ultrawide or fisheye lens; either would open up a lot of opportunities you can't achieve with your existing gear. If your widest to date is 17mm on crop, there's a whole world of funky wideness out there waiting for you.

For products and macro, a 1:1 macro lens would be a good addition to your arsenal (unless you've already decided you like one of the other macro options - reversed lenses or extension tubes being good options).
01-05-2015, 04:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the suggestion, I will probably look into an ultra wide then, i feel you are right in that I am missing out on the wide side.

I've been making due with extension tubes for macro, would love a suggestion for a good macro lens, as with the extension tubes I seem to have a very small focal plane to work with, I think a dedicated macro lens would be something I could get some good use out of, and appreciate.

I once again thank you for the insight, I've been using the same gear for awhile now so am out of the loop as far as what's the latest and greatest, super stoked to get my k3 in this week though
01-05-2015, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mkyyy Quote
I've been making due with extension tubes for macro, would love a suggestion for a good macro lens, as with the extension tubes I seem to have a very small focal plane to work with, I think a dedicated macro lens would be something I could get some good use out of, and appreciate.
FA 100/2.8(has a focus limiter and doesn't need a hood),
DFA 100/2.8(for me the least interesting)
or DFA 100/2.8WR(most current & built like a DA limited with wr; no aperture ring; needs a hood)
of course there are good third party macros as well.

Last edited by Trudger1272; 01-05-2015 at 04:42 AM.
01-05-2015, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #5

I've not used extension tubes, but from my experience - a very thin focal plane is just one of those things you have to live with on macro. As you get closer to the lens, the depth of field gets progressively smaller ... even at f/16 (or smaller; but then diffraction starts to affect your image quality).

You can get round this by 'focus stacking' - taking a series of macro images with slightly different focus, and then combining the sharp areas in post. I've not tried this, but there is software around to help you with it.
01-05-2015, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 15mm limited is really a fun lens. I just picked mine up and it is pretty awesome.

There is a macro focusing teleconverter in the marketplace that might make the macro stuff easier and it is only $50.

There is a non autofocus 15mm for sale for 300 (af lens with disconnected screw drive).
01-05-2015, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's not in your price range at the moment but the 35mm f2.8 macro is worth putting on your list. I like it for its versatility - good for street photography and events, for environmental portraits and for certain kinds of close-up and macro work of course.

The 18-135 is nice for its WR feature but given the other lenses you already have, I'm not sure I'd prioritize that purchase now unless you live in Seattle .

01-05-2015, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
It's not in your price range at the moment but the 35mm f2.8 macro is worth putting on your list. I like it for its versatility - good for street photography and events, for environmental portraits and for certain kinds of close-up and macro work of course.

The 18-135 is nice for its WR feature but given the other lenses you already have, I'm not sure I'd prioritize that purchase now unless you live in Seattle .
I agree with both of these but only by reputation on the 35 Macro.
01-05-2015, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Here's another idea. Rather than add a lens to your kit you can upgrade what you have. You didn't mention a budget but here are some ideas.

... Swap your M 50mm f/1.7 for the DA 50mm f/1.8 on sale at Amazon now or a used D-FA 50mm f/2.8 macro if you don't mind the working distance.
... Think about a used FA 43mm Limited.
... How about the DA 12-24 or Sigma's 8-16 for the super wide angles?
... The DA 18-135 is a very nice lens that could cover your Tamron and Tokina. IQ is very good but the lens has a slower aperture (f/3.5 vs, f/2.8).

The DA 35 you mentioned in your posts is a very nice lens too. I'm not sure you'll notice much of a difference in exposure between f/2.4 and f/2.8. The lens is very sharp though. You won't be disappointed.

Pentax smc DA 35 mm f/2.4 AL review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com
01-05-2015, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Here's another idea. Rather than add a lens to your kit you can upgrade what you have. You didn't mention a budget but here are some ideas.

... Swap your M 50mm f/1.7 for the DA 50mm f/1.8 on sale at Amazon now or a used D-FA 50mm f/2.8 macro if you don't mind the working distance.
... Think about a used FA 43mm Limited.
... How about the DA 12-24 or Sigma's 8-16 for the super wide angles?
... The DA 18-135 is a very nice lens that could cover your Tamron and Tokina. IQ is very good but the lens has a slower aperture (f/3.5 vs, f/2.8).

The DA 35 you mentioned in your posts is a very nice lens too. I'm not sure you'll notice much of a difference in exposure between f/2.4 and f/2.8. The lens is very sharp though. You won't be disappointed.

Pentax smc DA 35 mm f/2.4 AL review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com
These are great ideas and you might want to look at the Tamron 90mm macro, it has great IQ and makes a really good portrait lens as well. The site mentioned in the above post has very good reviews it would be worth it to check it out "lens tip.com". Also the Tamron is a much more reasonable cost but no WR.
01-05-2015, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Seems like you know what you are doing, you have a really nice kit already!
Maybe you want some lenses with a lot of character, like Helios 44? Industar 50-2? Flektogon 35mm? And top it with a Pentax A 28mm, still under your budget.
Or a wide angle prime, Samyang 16mm f2.0. MF, but has A setting, sharp, very wide, fast aperture.. can be used for landscapes, indoors, astrophotography, travel

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-05-2015 at 10:54 AM.
01-05-2015, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #12
Imp
Pentaxian

You said you do macro occasionally, and want WR. How about the 100mm WR macro? It is not too much above your budget, and it is a prime if you like primes.
And the 100mm is not a bad length for portraits either.

Amazon.com : Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA smc Macro Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo
01-05-2015, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
You said you do macro occasionally, and want WR. How about the 100mm WR macro? It is not too much above your budget, and it is a prime if you like primes.
And the 100mm is not a bad length for portraits either.

Amazon.com : Pentax 100mm f/2.8 WR D FA smc Macro Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras : Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo
???? 300 is quite a bit below $525. However the non-WR version has been seen in the marketplace here for as low as $300 recently albeit typically a bit more.
01-05-2015, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
???? 300 is quite a bit below $525. However the non-WR version has been seen in the marketplace here for as low as $300 recently albeit typically a bit more.
He did say he'd consider saving up for a Limited and the 100m WR should qualify, so he might as well get the best. Macro, WR with the build quality of a Limited. But it's up to him in the end
I havnt looked into the Ltd lenses much but would consider saving up for the right one.
01-05-2015, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
He did say he'd consider saving up for a Limited and the 100m WR should qualify, so he might as well get the best. Macro, WR with the build quality of a Limited. But it's up to him in the end
That's a point I missed. 100mm is a focal length I use a lot having a 100mm Macro myself (F version) but it is fairly limiting on APSC outside macro work (moderate telephoto). I did recently see a post of someone doing stitched photos using a 100 so I guess it is possible to create much larger subject perspective than it would seem at first.