Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The only people I know who use Canons are idiots, novices or women, and NO I am not implying anything. To me Canons are like Hondas, made for people who don't know and don't want to.

05-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Humor me anyway.
05-28-2008, 05:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Is there any lens found bad in pop photo's tests ?
05-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
The only people I know who use Canons are idiots, novices or women, and NO I am not implying anything. To me Canons are like Hondas, made for people who don't know and don't want to.
OUT OF TOPIC:
have you ever driven a Honda Type-R the spirited way?

05-28-2008, 05:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
Is there any lens found bad in pop photo's tests ?
Suppose that depends on how much adverts they have sold.

Personally I think product tests are crap, no matter who test and what tests they do, they are all subjective and in most cases don't say anything to people that know what they are doing. Not only in photography, but I find the same with computers. Tests are done to lure newbies into different systems or to use halfassed products, but most importantly, they are made to sell magazines and get people to visit websites, so that the publisher gets alot of money from adverts.
05-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Why Honda's? I think that would fit Toyota a little more considering Honda puts things they learn from their F1 team in their cars (and have some of the best hp per liter engines out there).

BTW when i was taking pictures of the tornado damage here in Atlanta atleast 2 Canon users came up to me asking me how to use their cameras... both had 40d's with L lenses!!! at first when I asked I was kind of just dumbfounded. One even mentioned she takes pictures for her daughters school.

Anyways this looks like an amazing lens :P too many lenses on my buy list now
05-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Suppose that depends on how much adverts they have sold.

Personally I think product tests are crap...
I totally disagree with you on that… There are many decent technical- hobbies magazines worldwide, in all markets, mainly printed but online as well, that respect their readers and the money they pay for buying them. They simply write their editors mind but –on the contrary to what you believe- have a lot of advertisement because they tent to have the most readers for obvious reasons.
The lab-tests, when performed well, are invaluable for determining the bad aspects of a product (if not the good ones). It’s the scientific way. Anything else is an “opinion”, perhaps valuable and trust worthy, perhaps not.
The fact that I find PopPhoto never writes bad for any lens make me suspicious that the editors either don’t speak their minds (for some questionable reason), or they do lousy tests. I suspect the first, because if you read “between” the lines you may find a piece of the truth.
Other sites on the net, and other magazines I read, don’t hesitate to write their mind even for huge advertised in their media.

Sorry ... lengthy
05-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
OUT OF TOPIC:
have you ever driven a Honda Type-R the spirited way?
I drive everything the spirited way.

05-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I drive everything the spirited way.
Good for you and the ... everything
Keep it up that way!
05-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't know how many reviews I have read the past few months which only piss me off. It might be the overall impression, it might be some small details. But I am never happy with tests. A few examples that I come to think of;

..is a numerous of tests that bash the K20D for not having a dedicated button to change the ISO and that you have to go into the menus to change it.

..a test of the K10D which had a comment to a picture that said "The whitebalance look strange, but it can probably be altered to be better."

..a test that stated that K10D had bad JPEG's out of the camera and that lowered the overall score. But if you take pictures in RAW the quality is superb.

First test and second shows exactly what I mean, it's subjectiv, the buttons that they are used to, arent there, therefor it does not work. They could spend a few moments reading the manual and they would see that their problems were NONEXISTANT. The third one piss me off to such degree that i don't even want to look at testshots and comparisons anymore. Why the hell would they want to test in JPG and not RAW? Who on earth if they want good quality pictures, shoot incamera JPG? I'll tell you, the average joe that goes to Kwick-e-mart and buy a camera, the masses that produce great salesnumbers and therefor increase advertprices.

Anyone that have knowledge of photography (especially digital), knows that it does not matter what system you use or what camera you use (in the same segment) the end product, the picture will look the same. And anyone using Pentax DSLR's know to hold in the OK and spin a wheel to change the ISO. And who cares about how to change the ISO on a pentax DSLR? THose that already know it, those that don't, read that you can't.

Ofcourse there are reasons why magazine tests are crap. Because they have to make money too, making money by selling alot of magazines as quick as possible. Therefor their testpeople do not have time to read manuals. They take the camera, put it on a tripod and shoot three pictures. Then they write something that vaguely describes the camera they have and put a few stars on it. Then its off to be printed before the magazine next door does it.

A real test of the camera would be to hand it to a journalist or a professional photographer and wait for 6 months. When it gets back, ask him, "Was it a good camera?". He will then automatically spit out a 15000 word essay about whats good and whats bad with it and how it is to use in real life. In opposite of lab enviroment, I am sure that would give some pointers to the truth.
05-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ofcourse there are reasons why magazine tests are crap. Because they have to make money too, making money by selling alot of magazines as quick as possible....
A real test of the camera would be to hand it to a journalist or a professional photographer and wait for 6 months. ..
You seem quite adamant ...
It takes a lot of debate ... Probably on a new thread on another segment of the fora.

Last edited by gkopeliadis; 05-29-2008 at 05:59 AM.
05-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I don't know how much relevance their reviews have, but this is where I got the info from. Pentax SMC DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report
PF is camera sensor, not lens. The K10D PFs everything, I find. My M 400/5.6 adds some beautiful red fringes to make things more interesting. There are many, many software products that remove PF quite well, Lightroom not being one of them. It's CA/PF corrections are non existent, I find.
05-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
PF is camera sensor, not lens. The K10D PFs everything, I find. ...
Its a great misconception that Purple Fringing -as we perceive it- is totally sensor’s play (and Imatest has anything to do with this misconception) . Mainly it’s a kind of Chromatic Aberration. Chromatic aberration is peaking at shorter wave lengths, that are to say violet and ultra violet. So violet and UV rich sources that pass through a lens tend to create a halo around them, especially against darker neighbouring objects. This is a halo that masks every other type o CA. A bright overcast sky or halogen lamps are VERY V-UV rich sources. The phenomenon was known and studied before photography was invented, much more digital photography.
The same play takes place on sensor’s individual pixel lens, but more unlikely, because each element is monochromatic. Only a fraction of purple fringing can be accounted to electron leakage from one sensor element to the next (due to the high energy of UV photons).
My K10D doesn't PF every lens I tried on, to the same degree (that would be the case if PF was only sensor related). With my kit lens PF is visible, the DA* 50-135mm I tried PFed less, my Sigma 105 is almost PF free, and so on.

Last edited by gkopeliadis; 05-29-2008 at 05:49 AM.
06-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #29
Forum Member

And anyone using Pentax DSLR's know to hold in the OK and spin a wheel to change the ISO. And who cares about how to change the ISO on a pentax DSLR?
errr, heh heh, did not know about that neat little shortcut to change ISO. Thanks, that's a gem of a tip!!

Last edited by sweetpapa; 06-29-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: grammar