Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
DPReview is saying:
The Pentax K range has clear gaps for the 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3-type lens other manufacturers have found so popular, as well as something like a 70-200mm f/2.8. Interestingly, the high magnification super-telephoto lens model appears to have space for two switches - one would usually be for changing between manual and auto focusing modes, while in some other brands the second switch would be for image stabilization or image stabilization modes.

Err....Zoom Lock anyone?
I don't see a benefit of a zoom lock on a internal zoom lens. It's less likely to have zoom creep. It could have focus lock positions for fast focus racking, if it has close focus.

And DPReview obviously is ignoring the 18-270.

01-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I don't see a benefit of a zoom lock on a internal zoom lens. It's less likely to have zoom creep. It could have focus lock positions for fast focus racking, if it has close focus.

And DPReview obviously is ignoring the 18-270.
Well, we don't need in lens IS, and if its not a Focus Limiter then what other switch would it be? SDM/Screw toggle?
01-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Well, we don't need in lens IS, and if its not a Focus Limiter then what other switch would it be? SDM/Screw toggle?
It actually might be lens IS. On the basis that it could be more advanced than the IBIS for a telezoom, and perhaps it's more useful on a premium heavy lens than on a standard telezoom (55-300), even if we don't really need lens IS.
01-06-2015, 06:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Judging after the form of the long telezoom, is IMO, a lens that's extend, not an internal zoom. So, a zoom lock would be necessary. Also, at long focal length, over 200mm, optical stabilization is more efficient than SR. So, both use are possible. but I doubt that is OS, rather a zoom lock.

01-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Ah my mistake, I conflated the two. I thought DPReview was saying zoom lock for the 70-200.
01-06-2015, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hope its a 100-600 with apertures faster than Sigma and Tamron. That would show them Pentax does things better.
Actually, it's a 45-900mm f/1.2-1.8.
01-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #22
Pentaxian

It's a 100-400mm f4 with a built in 1.4x teleconverter. ;-)

01-06-2015, 06:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Ah my mistake, I conflated the two. I thought DPReview was saying zoom lock for the 70-200.
Too much information that is too vague about an intensely interesting (to us anyway) subject can mean its easy to blend the information.

I still think, looking at it, that its a Focus Limiter. While IS for superzooms does appear to work better than SR (and I love SR for my MF lenses) I do not think it would be wise for Pentax to undercut its own SR in that way. My 150-500 IS works better (I took my best moon shot the first time out with the new lens with the IS set instead of the SR) and I know its a possibility but it just doesn't make sense from a Brand Identity standpoint IMHO.
01-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Maybe somebody should visit CES and take pictures. Any Vegasdwellers on the forum?
01-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

The EXIF on both of the 70-200 looking images (2nd and 4th images listed) is all but the same.. down to a few seconds difference on time at 11:33:34 and 11:33:55 ...very odd. Why would they do that?
01-06-2015, 06:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

space for two switches - one would usually be for changing between manual and auto focusing modes, while in some other brands the second switch would be for image stabilization or image stabilization modes.
I noticed that, as well. But like you said, it could be a number of things. In lens stabilization, focus limiter, zoom lock, focus lock, AF/MF switch, maybe even more exotic things like SDM/screwdrive switch (I think lots of people would like that, though i doubt Pentax would do it).. heck, maybe even powerzoom On/off switch

All in all, exciting times for Pentax. Quite a big lineup of new lenses, and they all seem to be fairly high end! No budget materials, no slow, variable apertures. And the new kit lens. Seems like big things are brewing!
Oh, and I don't mind if Pentax did another collaboration with Tokina or some other brand, as long as the Pentax version is priced fairly (I really hated it when some Tokina lenses were rebadged, they lost some features, but cost much more. I doubt the different lens coatings cost that much extra.. just doesn't seem like you are getting a fair deal, so I would be reluctant to buy such products)
01-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

This long zoom has three switches, one on the right side, and three buttons (???). Strange

I thing that this on the right side is for zoom lock. Usually, there is positioned.

But the buttons?

01-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
This long zoom has three switches, one on the right side, and three buttons (???). Strange

I thing that this on the right side is for zoom lock. Usually, there is positioned.

But the buttons?
The four round buttons are focus hold/lock buttons.
01-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
other switch would it be?
FF or other.
01-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Too much information that is too vague about an intensely interesting (to us anyway) subject can mean its easy to blend the information.

I still think, looking at it, that its a Focus Limiter. While IS for superzooms does appear to work better than SR (and I love SR for my MF lenses) I do not think it would be wise for Pentax to undercut its own SR in that way. My 150-500 IS works better (I took my best moon shot the first time out with the new lens with the IS set instead of the SR) and I know its a possibility but it just doesn't make sense from a Brand Identity standpoint IMHO.
Ricoh may have determined there's no feasible way to implement IBIS on a FF K-mount camera when shooting at long focal lengths. The amplitude of the sensor movement, which increases with focal length, may be too much for reasonably sized image circles. OIS eliminates this problem. Perhaps the delay in revealing a FF camera is linked to them having to go back and rework the FF telephoto lens strategy?