Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA 70mm vs FA 77mm Limited - speed of autofocus

A 'special' birthday is looming and I've decided to treat myself to a new lens!! I've spent a lot of time looking at reviews and threads on forums regarding the DA 70mm vs FA 77mm Limited. From what I have read image quality/style is a matter of personal taste to many people, however I would be really interested to hear from any owners regarding their experiences of auto-focus speed on both/either lenses - my plan is to use the lens for taking informal shots of my young children (most likely moving around!) both outdoors and in. Many thanks

01-06-2015, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Their AF performance is very similar in practice. Since they're both screwdrive, the one with the longer throw (in this case the FA 77) will sometimes be fractions of a second slower.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2015, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nj1975 Quote
A 'special' birthday is looming and I've decided to treat myself to a new lens!! I've spent a lot of time looking at reviews and threads on forums regarding the DA 70mm vs FA 77mm Limited. From what I have read image quality/style is a matter of personal taste to many people, however I would be really interested to hear from any owners regarding their experiences of auto-focus speed on both/either lenses - my plan is to use the lens for taking informal shots of my young children (most likely moving around!) both outdoors and in. Many thanks
Both lenses would be great outdoors, but not so great indoors, unless you plan is head and shoulder shots...
01-06-2015, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can only comment on the DA70 Ltd. In my experience (on a K-5ii) AF is fast and very reliable. Then again, I habitually centre focus an recompose ...

01-06-2015, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have them both - IMO there is no difference in AF speed between them, at least in real world use.

A.
01-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
I have them both - IMO there is no difference in AF speed between them, at least in real world use.

A.
Thank you for your reply - at the risk of sounding ignorant what does IMO stand for please?
01-06-2015, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for your reply - at the risk of sounding ignorant what does IMO stand for please?
IMO - In My Opinion

A.

01-06-2015, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can only comment on the DA 70mm F2.4. I do like the lens, the focus is accurate. I find I haven't been using it that much though, not sure why.
01-06-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

IMO - In My Opinion

A.
Many of us use IMHO, as in In My Humble Opinion cause god knows we are humble.
01-06-2015, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

The camera body makes a huge difference. I never had a problem with this lens but its night and day between an original K5 and the K3...(I am talking about the 70mm)

It is a fantastic lens but I still might get a 77 anyway.

Of all the limited lenses the fastest focuser is the DA 40mm... The 70mm isn't slow by any means though. Especially on a K3.
01-06-2015, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 77 is a great lens and focuses plenty fast enough. I've also heard great things about the 70. If that's the focal length you're after you won't go wrong with either, but like hjoseph7 said, they'll be tight indoors. I never use the 77 in my house for people, only outdoors or indoors where I have a lot of room to back up (like a gym).
01-06-2015, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The camera body makes a huge difference. I never had a problem with this lens but its night and day between an original K5 and the K3..
That does it. I'm going for the K-3 over a D FA Macro 100 lens. When the price is right Bob
01-06-2015, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
That does it. I'm going for the K-3 over a D FA Macro 100 lens. When the price is right Bob
What is your camera body now?

9 times out of 10 I would encourage people to get the lenses they want FIRST and then get the camera body...but there is no denying the improvements the K3 brings. I try to not be a gear junkie but I can tell you first hand that jumping from a K5 (original) to a K3.. you will see a big difference. For me so far the biggest difference is that all my lenses have new life... which is exciting!!! Before when it was slower and hunting...now it ain't....before when it missed focus... now it doesn't....

A good camera body makes great lenses better.
01-06-2015, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
What is your camera body now?

9 times out of 10 I would encourage people to get the lenses they want FIRST and then get the camera body...but there is no denying the improvements the K3 brings. I try to not be a gear junkie but I can tell you first hand that jumping from a K5 (original) to a K3.. you will see a big difference. For me so far the biggest difference is that all my lenses have new life... which is exciting!!! Before when it was slower and hunting...now it ain't....before when it missed focus... now it doesn't....

A good camera body makes great lenses better.
Just look at my signature. There you will see my camera and all the lenses I own. I'm thinking camera.......
01-07-2015, 01:24 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
IMO - In My Opinion

A.
Thanks