Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2015, 12:38 AM   #136

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have only had my lens for 4 days although I have used it a lot already. I Can't say much about being soft on the edges. I think you will find that will all zoom lenses at some point. It is very sharp through the center and the center on this is pretty wide. I am real happy with it. I took about 250 shots with it Sunday in low indoor lighting at ISO 2500 and 3200. It did a nice job. I think having the lens dock changes everything. Now you can tweak you lens yourself. That to me is very new and really nice. When I updated the firmware using my dock, it changed the lens for the better.

02-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Good to hear Sigma was able to fix this quickly. I wonder why they haven't fixed the inconsistent AF performance on the much more expensive 18-35/1.8? I would like to get this lens, but not until they sort out the AF issues.
02-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #138

Is the dock worth getting? Even though it's probably cheaper to buy the dock than send the lens off to be calibrated, I just have a resistance to buy it. Possibly because I have no interest in the other currently compatible lenses, the one I'd be realistically interested in (30mm) isn't in k-mount.
02-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
... I have no interest in the other currently compatible lenses, the one I'd be realistically interested in (30mm) isn't in k-mount.
Huh, you mean this one?

02-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #140

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Huh, you mean this one?
Lol... Yeah just like that! Man, teaches me to do more research than just trust the manufacturers website!
02-04-2015, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #141

I think the dock is worth the 50 bucks. You don't have to send it in and you save a ton of time. I did the update in a couple of minutes. You can learn to tweak it if you wish. This is way better than sending it out and not having it for 2 weeks.
02-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
I think the dock is worth the 50 bucks. You don't have to send it in and you save a ton of time. I did the update in a couple of minutes. You can learn to tweak it if you wish. This is way better than sending it out and not having it for 2 weeks.
+1 to that.

02-13-2015, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
now that's service !

Neither of my two area Sigma dealers could update my firmware for me at their stores because they didn't have a Pentax specific dock. So I sent my lens out to the Sigma service facility in Ronkonkoma, NY where UPS tracking showed delivery on 2-10-15. Today, only 3 days later, my lens was back in my hands. I realize a firmware upgrade is a quick job, but i never expected such an exceptional turn around time. Kudos to Sigma from a very appreciative customer.
02-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #144

QuoteOriginally posted by Manituwa Quote
Just finished updating the firmware for the 17-70 (v1.01), and calibrating the focus. It's not that hard.

This is how I did the auto-focus adjustment. You don't have to take a single picture during this process. Using a tripod, aim your camera perpendicular to a flat surface with contrasty edges for each of the 4 distances. Use live view to focus at 17mm. Switch to contrast and watch where the lens moves to focus. If it doesn't - yippie! If it's short (near) then you'll have to add a positive number for calibration. If the lens goes long you'll have to put in a negative number for that zone. Write it down. Do this for all sixteen combinations of zoom and distance, then dock up your lens and put in the offsets. It won't take you long to figure out if a 2 is too much or too little, and you'll get a sense of how to adjust them all.

If you're only using one camera, it would make sense to me to put the AF Fine Adjust to zero before you start.

Thank you very much for explaining this procedure. I will test my lens and see if it is adjusted correctly. I did use the dock and I have the firmware update. I posted my results in another post and the results was excellent for the SR.

So we should trust the live view as the absolute focus?
Thank you,
03-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #145
Pentaxian

What was the final outcome on these please?

If one purchases a Contemporary version of this lens for Pentax, will it work with a K-3 SR or does it require a dock fix etc?

Thanks.
03-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #146
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
If one purchases a Contemporary version of this lens for Pentax, will it work with a K-3 SR or does it require a dock fix etc?
There were two issues addressed in the firmware update. One was a problem with AF and the other with the lens not reporting the proper focal length to the body. One can easily check to see if the second issue is a problem by monitoring the displayed FL in the EXIF or detailed review screen as compared to the position on the lens barrel. The value used by the SR system is not particularly sensitive as long as the FL is reasonably close.

FWIW, I have been shooting with the "C" version on the K-3 since Spring of 2014 with its original firmware and have not had any problem with SR at the wide end. I would expect that current production "C" version lenses will have the proper firmware version flashed, though that is difficult to assess without a dock. Perhaps a note to Sigma might provide the answer?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-22-2018 at 08:11 PM.
03-22-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
What was the final outcome on these please?

Thanks.
If you are considering purchasing this lens (I have it and it is one of the best lenses I own!) then I suggest that you hurry and get one that is in stock somewhere because Sigma have discontinued the lens. See here: 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Sigma Corporation of America

I have no idea why they would do such a thing. And it is not just Pentax mount, it is all mounts. Very sad. I'm glad that I have mine.
03-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
...Sigma have discontinued the lens. See here: 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Sigma Corporation of America
This is incorrect and the link you provide is to a much older version of the lens. The current "Contemporary" lens is right here and is not discontinued, AFAICT.

When buying a used one, it might be difficult to make sure the lens you're buying is running the latest firmware without the dock. On the other hand, it might be possible to find a nearby Pentaxian with a dock that would be willing to check and help you upgrade if necessary...
03-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #149
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
If you are considering purchasing this lens (I have it and it is one of the best lenses I own!) then I suggest that you hurry and get one that is in stock somewhere because Sigma have discontinued the lens. See here: 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Sigma Corporation of America

I have no idea why they would do such a thing. And it is not just Pentax mount, it is all mounts. Very sad. I'm glad that I have mine.
FWIW, the discontinued lens is an earlier version from some years back, not the current "Contemporary" 17-70/2.8-4.

Steve
03-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #150
Pentaxian

Yeah there seem to be 3 or so similar lenses. The 17-50 2.8 throughout, 17-70 2.8 - 4.5 ish and 17-70 contemporary.

Feedback seems really good on all of them, with perhaps the original 17-50 being slightly sharper?

Hoping to find a deal on one for an upcoming holiday. Not WR but seems a solid upgrade from the kit lens, and much cheaper than the 16-85 pentax.