Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Stuck rear cap on Tamron 70-300mm lens

G,day

I have a rear cap stuck. I can turn it thru 15 degrees, cap goes loose buy will not pop off. Any hints out there? ( I tried showing the cap my leatherman, but no luck.)

Cheers
Dale

05-27-2008, 01:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
This is a really cr@p design by Tamron I have also done this before today, a little patience and cajoling are called for But when you do eventually get it off, you will notice that the cap only (or should only) fits when the bit between 'open close' is lined up with the red dot I also find the lens hood a pain in the @rse as well, compared to other lens makes. But for the money, it's a cracker

Serendipity (Mick)
05-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by serendipity Quote
This is a really cr@p design by Tamron I have also done this before today, a little patience and cajoling are called for But when you do eventually get it off, you will notice that the cap only (or should only) fits when the bit between 'open close' is lined up with the red dot I also find the lens hood a pain in the @rse as well, compared to other lens makes. But for the money, it's a cracker

Serendipity (Mick)
Bingo, thanks, it worked. All I had to do was brush the plastic lens cover shavings out of the lens and away I went.

Once apart I could see it fits only one way as you point out.

Cheers and thanks
Dale
05-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If it fit only one way, it wouldn't have gotten stuck. You're lucky you got it off. I had to send mine to Tamron to get it off under warranty (but they thought the PF was ok)-:
It's not just the 70-300. I've heard the 28-75 has this issue as well. Just remember to line up the dot on the rear lens cap. I used to do this by feel but no longer do so....

05-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine was stuck for about 15 minutes the other day, but I finally got it off. I agree, this is not a very good design. I do like the lens though.
05-28-2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
If it fit only one way, it wouldn't have gotten stuck. You're lucky you got it off. I had to send mine to Tamron to get it off under warranty (but they thought the PF was ok)-:
It's not just the 70-300. I've heard the 28-75 has this issue as well. Just remember to line up the dot on the rear lens cap. I used to do this by feel but no longer do so....
Yep, I learned a lesson there.
I love the lens, for the price, it is just so good. I'm looking for a K20D so I can take Purple Fringed hotspotted macros