Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I like mine a lot. Very sharp. But the weight and size sometimes get to you. And you get a lot of attention when you show up with this beast.

When I was whale watching I also would have liked something wider than150 minimum. The 50-500 would probably be better but costs twice as much.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to pay twice as much... if it's Pentax WR.

01-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Nice photos, darn nice photos. What are you shooting the 150-600 on?
Thanks. At first a used 40D, now something from this decade (new 70D), or the last one (used 5D original).

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Thanks for samples.
I thought Tamron 150-600 is not available in K-mount. How do you fix it then?
You have to go with a different brand body. This also has possibilities for other lenses (such as the 17mm TS-E).

That's what I did.

Tamron 150-600 seemed me to be part of the Pentax list...
Actually, part of the Tamron list :-)
01-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now when the price of this lens is fairly good (and 4 years warranty on top), I start thinking about it.

But... I've read several reviews and it seems like there're many contradictory opinions of existing owners.

So let me ask once again - what are the pros and cons, what would be your verdict?

Should I buy one or rather something else (and namely?)?
I think whether this or any other lens is worth your purchasing really depends on what your shooting requirements are. Are you shooting passive things like mountain tops, or do you have a need to freeze the action of a bird in flight? Very different performance requirements that may or may not require different solutions.

M
01-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I think whether this or any other lens is worth your purchasing really depends on what your shooting requirements are. Are you shooting passive things like mountain tops, or do you have a need to freeze the action of a bird in flight? Very different performance requirements that may or may not require different solutions.

M

The primary goal of this telephoto should be wild life, including birds (sometimes BIF). Can't avouch that I won't shoot mountain tops from time to time as well (as I like moutain hiking a lot).
I'd love to have 5 different long lenses, each for every situation, but man can't have (and carry) everything, right?

01-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I bought one about a year and a half ago. I'm generally pleased with it. It's not perfect, but then what is in this world of ours.

I use it primarily for wildlife photography and photos of competing cars at drag racing tracks. I find the AF smooth and relatively quiet and unobtrusive...which is good when photographing wildlife. Pictures are good, sharp....I have no complaints.

Settings I use, are generally around F 8 - F 11, ISO around 800 to 1600 and I try to keep the shutter speed over 1/000th of a second due to the size and weight of the lens. It's best during bright, sunlit days, although overcast is still workable. The Sigma 150-500 has it's own internal shake reduction system and although I've used it and it works fine....I generally leave it switched off, preferring to use the Pentax SR.

I generally hand hold the lens (my preferred style) when I take it with me during my forest walks. I'm good for about 45 minutes to an hour before the weight and size, starts to get to me. I'm a relatively big guy, but I find it very workable, for the kind of photography that I use it for.
01-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I just bought one in November, taking advantage of a very good price. I really haven't used it much yet but the few shots I have taken look good. It's a big heavy beast but I knew that. It will get a lot of use next summer and I will have a better opinion then. Unfortunately, the way lens pricing is these days, we have to take advantage of deals and rebates around the year end holidays even if we won't be using them for several months. If the ice gets thick enough, I hope to get some motorcycle and ATV racing shots but even after this cold snap, the lake is only six inches thick and this weekends races are cancelled.
01-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter

The primary goal of this telephoto should be wild life, including birds (sometimes BIF). Can't avouch that I won't shoot mountain tops from time to time as well (as I like moutain hiking a lot).
I'd love to have 5 different long lenses, each for every situation, but man can't have (and carry) everything, right?
I think you hit the nail on the head here. If we could carry (or afford!) enough luxurious primes, we wouldn't need these zooms! I've had my Sigma for a little over a year and like it very much. How else can I get that kind of reach for the money? I do wildlife photography and carry this lens on a tripod, though I've hiked with a monopod that worked just fine. The image quality is very good IMHO, especially if you're willing to take care with stabilizing. The lens really isn't very heavy, given what's inside. And the build is strong and lovely at the same time. I'm still impressed every time I open the case.

Below are a few photos I took with it last winter. I'm on my ipad at the moment, so these are not the greatest quality, but they might give you some idea of the types of shots I've used it for. I would buy this lens again in a heartbeat.

Addendum: Sorry, it seems the Ipad won't let me add more than one photo. I'll try to add more when I'm back on my laptop.

Attached Images

01-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Below are a few photos I took with it last winter

This is a very nice bird! Looking forward to some more... Thanks.
01-09-2015, 09:48 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a few...I missed the best of the Warbler migration because I didn't have the lens until June.

Sorry if I get a bit carried away...
01-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just a few...I missed the best of the Warbler migration because I didn't have the lens until June...
Very nice! Especially like the 6th one. Is that some kind of flycatcher?
01-09-2015, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Very nice! Especially like the 6th one. Is that some kind of flycatcher?
Juvenile Tree Swallow. It will be blue when it returns in the spring
01-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just a few...I missed the best of the Warbler migration because I didn't have the lens until June.

Sorry if I get a bit carried away...

Beautiful! Tripod or monopod or handheld?
01-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful! Tripod or monopod or handheld?
Some on a monopod, some handheld from the car. I'm getting a window mount for next spring.
01-09-2015, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #29

Photos: Albums
On the topic of using monopods and tripods i think it depends on the person, situation and subject. For example, i if i go to Oxley creek (open bush area with lots of room to move around) i may take the monopod for the bigger birds. But because its quite bright and the small birds are usually on the ground and moving fast, a monopod or tripod is going to slow your movement down way to much. However if im going to somewhere like a rainforest and im shooting birds like a casowary where they generally move slowly and its dark and you need slower shutter speed, then the monopod will be necesary ( its a completely different story with fast moving small birds near to you when you need to use a external flash and fast shutter speed) When using with the monopod on still birds at 500mm.

Monopod used and 1/200th with fill flash 500mm

Handheld at 1/640th 500mm

Handheld at 1/250th 310mm with fill flash

01-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, so I bought one today...

First impression... it's huge, especially at 500 mm with the hood. The construction seems to be solid enough.
Hopefully the "hurricane" which we've had here since Friday will quiet down and I'll be able to go out tomorrow and make a first test.

First questions...
- would you recommend me to use a UV filter?
- do you use the shoulder strap?

In general, are there some special user instructions related to this lens? Something I should pay attention to or take care of?