Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA-L and non * / non ltd lenses to be DC ?

Just a personal observation/thought here... but seeing the slow move to DC for some lenses (kit or typical use lenses), it Ricoh/Pentax on its way to making most lenses KAF3 ?

Current DC lineup:
DA 18-135mm WR
DA 16-85mm WR (new)
DA 18-50mm WR (new) - replaces DA-L 18-55mm ?
DA 20-40mm ltd WR

Existing screwdrives (possible change or replace ?)
DA 18-55mm WR
DA 50-200mm WR
DA 55-300mm / DA 55-300mm WR
DA 12-24mm
DA 16-45mm

For many new cameras, KAF3 may be the way. I'd hope that Pentax keeps at least its * line with screwdrive option, and keeps screwdrive available on the higher end cameras.
Almost all primes are screwdrive, with the exception of DA * 55mm, 200mm and 300mm - and relatively new DA 560mm being DC (first in a prime).

01-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Just a personal observation/thought here... but seeing the slow move to DC for some lenses (kit or typical use lenses), it Ricoh/Pentax on its way to making most lenses KAF3 ?

Current DC lineup:
DA 18-135mm WR
DA 16-85mm WR (new)
DA 18-50mm WR (new) - replaces DA-L 18-55mm ?
DA 20-40mm ltd WR

Existing screwdrives (possible change or replace ?)
DA 18-55mm WR
DA 50-200mm WR
DA 55-300mm / DA 55-300mm WR
DA 12-24mm
DA 16-45mm

For many new cameras, KAF3 may be the way. I'd hope that Pentax keeps at least its * line with screwdrive option, and keeps screwdrive available on the higher end cameras.
Almost all primes are screwdrive, with the exception of DA * 55mm, 200mm and 300mm - and relatively new DA 560mm being DC (first in a prime).
They said in an interview that they'd continue using both systems depending on the lens design. That makes sense, since ultra-compact lenses like the DA 40 or some of the other Limiteds wouldn't be possible without screwdrive AF.

On the other hand, I would expect in-lens motors to slowly make their way into all larger lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I can't imagine them eliminating screw drives from the bodies. That would undercut one of the prime reasons to buy Pentax - legacy lens support via K mount.
01-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Eliminating screw drive AF would render the FA Limited lenses into MF glass. That would alienate a large part of their customer base.

01-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree that removing the screwdrive would alienate many Pentaxians. . But I wonder if Pentax would have an 'entry level' that came w/o screwdrive in the future. E.g. a ks-01 or k-01 w/o a screwdrive but k50/k-3 size with screwdrive
01-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree that removing the screwdrive would alienate many Pentaxians. . But I wonder if Pentax would have an 'entry level' that came w/o screwdrive in the future. E.g. a ks-01 or k-01 w/o a screwdrive but k50/k-3 size with screwdrive
Why? What purpose would it serve?
01-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nikon can remove the screw drive from low end bodies to force users to upgrade to a more expensive body. Pentax doesn't have that luxury. Nikon also knows that the majority of low end camera users are not going to buy any more lenses than come with the kit. At most they will buy a 50 1.8F or the 35 1.8G. Most would rather have a slow super zoom than a prime anyway...

01-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Why? What purpose would it serve?
The purpose that I 'could' see it serving would be to make a less expensive entry level SLR (mirrorless or base entry) that helps sell 'newer' lenses (DC or SDM), and keeps a slightly better than entry level at a higher price point.

Think of this as similar to the K-500 not having weather sealing or a focus point indicator on the OVF. It doesn't cost 'much' to put in the screwdrive, but for those that are somewhat serious, they'd pay the few dollars extra.
Now that the base kit lenses are becoming DC, I personally see it only as a matter of time.
01-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The purpose that I 'could' see it serving would be to make a less expensive entry level SLR (mirrorless or base entry) that helps sell 'newer' lenses (DC or SDM), and keeps a slightly better than entry level at a higher price point.

Think of this as similar to the K-500 not having weather sealing or a focus point indicator on the OVF. It doesn't cost 'much' to put in the screwdrive, but for those that are somewhat serious, they'd pay the few dollars extra.
Now that the base kit lenses are becoming DC, I personally see it only as a matter of time.
I see you reasoning but am not persuaded. I appreciate your detailed reply.
01-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No problem... I'm not attempting to persuade. I personally like having screwdrive, especially for legacy lenses, and I 'hope' that Pentax will keep all the legacy features in their cameras for the future. You never know with bean counters though. From a consumer point of view, the screwdrive option is what keeps a Pentax DSLR a Pentax DSLR.
01-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No problem... I'm not attempting to persuade. I personally like having screwdrive, especially for legacy lenses, and I 'hope' that Pentax will keep all the legacy features in their cameras for the future. You never know with bean counters though. From a consumer point of view, the screwdrive option is what keeps a Pentax DSLR a Pentax DSLR.
On each of those points we agree