Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Backpacking in Arizona: Lens suggestions?

Hi, all.

I'll be doing a four-day group backpacking trip through the Superstition Mountains (east of Phoenix) in March. I've got a K-5 with the 18-55 WR kit lens, as well as 21mm, 35mm, 50mm and 70mm primes.

This will be my first backpacking trip carrying a DSLR rig. I generally prefer shooting with primes, but I've got a couple of concerns about what to take and what to leave behind, and I'm wondering whether I'll want to fool around with switching out lenses while backpacking anyway.

I'm considering the following options:

1: Take the 18-55mm WR and maybe supplementing with the 70mm.

2. Take the 18-55 and purchase a 50-200mm WR, maybe bring the 50mm f1.7.

3. Purchase a 18-135mm WR, maybe supplement with the 50mm f1.7 or 35mm Limited.

I'm also thinking of bringing my Lumix DMC-LX3 with me, mainly to get the really wide shots (~24mm-equiv).

I haven't traveled to the Southwest before (I live in Seattle), so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of vistas (i.e., preferred focal lengths), dust, weather, etc. We're planning for the (probably very remote) possibility of rain, but I'm assuming the more pressing issue will be dust and/or grit, especially if it's windy. That'd probably tip the scales toward the WR lenses. In addition, I'm anticipating lots of sunny days in southern latitudes, so probably not too much open-aperture shooting; sharpness and corner softness shouldn't be too much of an issue with the zooms. Plus, there probably won't be too much opportunity to "zoom with my feet" if we're sticking to a marked hiking trail anyway.

I generally shoot wide to normal FLs. Then again, I also mostly shoot in urban settings anyway. 70mm seemed like a very long FL for me until I got used to it. I've been playing around with an old smc p-m 50-200mm just to get used to the idea of longer FLs, but it hasn't really clicked with me yet; 200mm seems like shooting through a roll of giftwrap!

(To get an idea of my shooting style, here's my Flickr page.)

What do people think? Ditch the primes and just go WR? Will I miss the extra reach if I don't have it with me? Will swapping out lenses be too much of a PITA on the trail? (I.e., should I just stick with one lens--say, an 18-135 WR--and be done with it?) Or will that be too much weight/bulk?

I'm trying (trying!) to keep my kit to a minimum; my tendency is to over-pack. I probably won't be dragging a tripod with me; maybe a beanbag or mini tripod, but nothing more elaborate than that. So shots at longer FLs especially at dawn/dusk might be out of the picture. And anyway I don't want to be That Guy who's constantly holding people up while he switches out lenses and/or meticulously frames shots while everybody else is rolling their eyes and getting annoyed.

And also: What's a good way to keep the camera available for shooting while backpacking without it getting in the way/causing neck strain?

01-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice set of photos!

I would just take the 18-135 and call it a day.
01-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

For lens choice, I'd suggest 18-135mm with a (or two) prime of your choice.
18-135, in my experience, replaces 18-55 and 50-200 well, if you can live with shorter 135mm than 200mm.
A prime or two, just in case for low-light shots or for better sharpness / bokeh on certain shots.

For quick accessing camera, I recommend PeakDesign's Capture Clip style holder, so you can attach your camera on your waist belt or backpack strap for easy access.
Having a good strap on it also could help just for security.
01-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IF I were going I'd take the 18-135 and my 15. I can't imagine that scenery and not having the 15 along. I know, I know - the 15 wasn't an option.

01-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Been in the Superstitions and you will have long vistas for which a wide angle or a tele will both work. The 18-55 WR is okay. The 70 is stellar. Of your listed lenses that you own, my best choice recommendation. On the other hand, I would buy the 18-135 and take that lens. I have this lens and love the colors and sharpness from about 24mm to 135. It is not bad at 18mm either, if stopped down to at least 5.6.
01-08-2015, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Expect DUST. And more dust. Then some more. It will find it's way into your camera. Even if it's not windy. It's just evil. Bring the WR gear, and go for whatever zoom you have that has the most range. Whatever it takes to avoid taking off the lenses too much when "out in the wild." Let me tell you, the WR gear really pays off here in AZ. ( I went from a K-r to a K-3 & some lens upgrades - what a difference!) If you want a wider angle... go for the multishot panoramas and stitch them together later. (try portrait mode !) I'd rather spend my time honing my PS skills stitching than zapping out the bazillion dust spots you'll get. Invest in the small size rocket blower for your field kit. Also... a polarizer is wonderful thing here. We have a surplus of sun & glare. A good CPL helps alleviate the potential for blown out sky. (not good for pano-stitching though).

I do a lot of outdoor trekking & air shows... I really like my Black Rapid CrossShot. The rubber shoulder holder really stays put, and I can position it right on my hip where I need it. (Never used w/ backpack, you'll need to find your best hanging spot that won't interfere with the rest of your gear.)

As a SEA to PHX transplant myself, I'm sure you will enjoy the contrast of environment you're going to have. Enjoy the desert!
01-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Take the DA21 and DA70 primes. And take the LX3.

01-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
Expect DUST. And more dust. Then some more. It will find it's way into your camera. Even if it's not windy. It's just evil. Bring the WR gear, and go for whatever zoom you have that has the most range. Whatever it takes to avoid taking off the lenses too much when "out in the wild." Let me tell you, the WR gear really pays off here in AZ. ( I went from a K-r to a K-3 & some lens upgrades - what a difference!) If you want a wider angle... go for the multishot panoramas and stitch them together later. (try portrait mode !) I'd rather spend my time honing my PS skills stitching than zapping out the bazillion dust spots you'll get. Invest in the small size rocket blower for your field kit. Also... a polarizer is wonderful thing here. We have a surplus of sun & glare. A good CPL helps alleviate the potential for blown out sky. (not good for pano-stitching though).

I do a lot of outdoor trekking & air shows... I really like my Black Rapid CrossShot. The rubber shoulder holder really stays put, and I can position it right on my hip where I need it. (Never used w/ backpack, you'll need to find your best hanging spot that won't interfere with the rest of your gear.)

As a SEA to PHX transplant myself, I'm sure you will enjoy the contrast of environment you're going to have. Enjoy the desert!
Yes, dust is a problem there. I hiked part of the area in the monsoon season, with a window of no precip. But agree that a WR zoom like the 18-135 or 16-50 is best choice. The 16-50 of course is not on the OP's list of possibles.
01-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With that much dust and hiking I'd stick to WR lenses myself. Have done that before and the camera needed a professional cleaning. WR lenses and body are the way to go in that environment. Good advice from astonm.
01-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You will want a wide prime, I can promise you. The 18-55 is OK, but it's not the greatest lens and probably won't do justice to what you'll be seeing. By all means take it, for the WR if nothing else, but also take your widest prime and your longest prime. If you buy the 18-135 then of course you won't need the 18-55 but still take a wide and a long prime. Above all, enjoy!

01-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Backpacking and your normal shooting choices/style are not that different, except that backpacking is either (1) an extended photo session, or (2) an activity in which carrying a camera and changing lenses is hugely problematic. And you are in the second category--or you wouldn't be asking.

I suggest you take one or two lenses--and figure only one of them will be on the camera--99.9% of the time.

For me (backpacking) it would likely be a small 28mm or 35mm (Takumar f/3.5), and possibly the (smallish) (K) 50mm f/4 macro. And a smaller size, no problem if it breaks, dslr (Pentax K-x in my case).

Oh--I generally carry it on a neck strap w/ a second strap around my back--so it doesn't bounce, w/ a quick open connection (small plastic carbiner/ etc.) so the second strap is left hanging from the camera (when I am using the camera); or packed in a plastic bag in the top of my pack/or in pack pocket. Anywhere else it bounces, or keeps you from seeing your feet/ground, or tends to bang into things.

Last edited by dms; 01-08-2015 at 08:05 PM.