Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Metal adhesive recommendation

Hi All,

I'm presently cleaning and relubing a Super-Tak 55/2, (and documenting, will post when finished).

The metal band with the distances in meters and feet is beginning to separate from the focus ring.
Any recommendations for glueing this band back in place?

Thanks!

01-08-2015, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An EVA-based contact cement would be my first choice (Barge is one brand - the Toluene solvent/red label version, not the MEK/green label version).
When used sparingly, it is makes an invisible repair that could last many years.
01-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Barge Cement! That puts a smile on my face. My Grandmother's maiden name is Barge. Her father
and one or more of his brothers, (my great-grandfather and great-grand uncles), invented the original
Barge Cement. There was then a falling out between those brothers and one of my great-grand uncles
took possession of the Barge patents. I've never met that line of the family and from what I've been
told, they moved to Mexico many decades ago and continue to reside there.

My grandmother, (now well into her 90's), keeps a unopened tube of Barge Cement in her top kitchen
draw, always ready to bring it out and show visitors should the opportunity arise.

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 02:41 PM ----------

Sadly, no Barge Cement in the house. Juliet(*) says there's some around somewhere, but can't find
it at the moment. Will try Beacon Magna-Tac 809 and will report in the Super-Tak documentation when
I post it.

( * - My partner. Fellow artist and all around materials guru. She knows more about adhesives than
anyone I've ever met).
01-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Gorilla Glue will work! It is a urethane base, comes out clear and dries clear, sticks to even wet stuff because the urethane uses atmospheric or surface moisture during cure. A couple of drops will do it. Even bonds to old dried up adhesives. Works well for re-glueing chair legs without disassembly and sanding of the two joint members. Available in packets of small single use tubes x 4 tubes and one small tube will fix four chair legs. In construction, urethane adhesives are widely used on different materials. ASTM has a specification that describes their properties if you have doubts. ASTM International on Google will direct you.

01-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like Gorilla Glue for many things, but not this project. Gorilla glue expands on setting and could be
tricky to manage here, even with a very thin application.

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 03:16 PM ----------

Correction. Will be trying Beacon 3-IN-1 Advanced Craft Glue. The Magna-Tac 809 was old and gummed up.
01-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I did not think of the urethane expansion factor. You are correct. My bad.
01-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any "contact cement" available at any hardware store will work ( the generic version of Barge).

01-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a weakness for J-B Weld Kwikweld.