Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DO NOT GET the 24-70 and my other ideas too

I had it, its about as soft as shooting through nylons at F2.8 and doesnt get sharp till about 5.6
Anyway My recom. are:
something wide, I have really come to love my 16-45 F4, and wish I had gotten it sooner. a good fast lens, like a 50 F1.4 and the sigma 70-200 F2.8 is a great lens too. I would also recomend getting the 1.4x dedicated sigma converter, and a set of extension tubes, but you only need to have with you the 2 smallest. These are for detail shots of the rings, flowers etc. Also putting the 12mm tube on provides great broke on the background for some mid-macro detail work.
A good "back-up or second body lens for some things is the Pentax 28-105 F3.2-4.5 Its not built like a F2.8, but is your best "pentax" option in the area. Great for portoraits too.
If you insist on a 28-70/80 F2.8 range get a Tokina ATX Pro. I abused mine for 5-6 years before it gave up the ghost.

A stroboframe/flash bracket is good, but not nes., but remember batteries, atleast 2 sets for "dedicated" batteries like for the K10D, and for AA's I do the rechargables, but always have atleast one 4 pack of Lythums in my bag. They take 10years to discharge w/out use so your safe keeping them in your bag for a long time for emergencies.

08-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been contemplating this and I thought of perhaps the 43mm f/1.9 and the 77mm f/1.8 along with/or maybe the Sigma 17-70mm and a zoom...the Sigma 70-200 sounds good. And also flashes. I've noticed very few recommendations for primes although they tend to be sharper. Maybe just not wanting to move as much?
08-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
I was thinking of trying to find one of these. The trouble is obtaining one locally, everywhere i have looked is out of stock.
Went to my local camera shop ... and he said there are some FA50/1.4s in Australia already ... I am awaiting mine to come in.

I was going to get one from overseas ... had a little financial difficulty at the time ... and had to decline ... found I could get it here for less brand new. So am am getting one.

Hoping to having it by Sept 22 (which is my friend's wedding I am attending) ... I will be doing candid walk-around shots ... they already have their pro-photographer there anyway.

It'll get in before the 75-300 though ... and that's been on backorder since the start of July ... apparently will be in soon.
08-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote

Im shooting a wedding in mid march potentially followed by another early april. I know that i will need some pretty fast glass to handle fast enough shutter speeds in the low light of the church and reception.

On my list at the moment is the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro and the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 as well as either another k100d body or a k10d. I think only 1 of my current lenses would be able to handle a wedding situation and that is a manual focus 50mm f1.7.

Is there any other lenses that you would recommend for a wedding or even alternatives to the sigma ones ive listed?
I would forget the Sigma 70-200, and instead get the Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. The SDM focusing is quiet, fast and reliable. It is usable wide open, and it gives good results throughout the focal range. The 50mm on the short end is handy, and you will not need anything longer than 135mm. It is also msaller and lighter than a 70-200 f/2.8 lens. The Sigma is NOT available with HSM for Pentax mount at present. My DA* 50-135mm arrived today, and it is wonderful. Trust me - this is the lens you want for the longer zoom. It is THE zoom for portrait work on the Pentax mount.

For a wide angle to normal zoom on a second body, you want something wider than 24mm. A Pentax DA 16-45mm f4 would be fine, or the DA* 16-50 f/2.8, or something else that goes to at least 18mm. Stick a flash on the camera with this lens and get in close at the reception.

Skip the prime lenses: you don't want to be fumbling around changing lenses, and you want the instant crop and composition flexibility of a zoom.

Ideally: two bodies, two zoom lenses, two flashes, extra SD cards, extra batteries. An assistant wouldn't hurt either.