Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2007, 03:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wedding Lenses

Ok, here is the story. Im shooting a wedding in mid march potentially followed by another early april. I know that i will need some pretty fast glass to handle fast enough shutter speeds in the low light of the church and reception.

On my list at the moment is the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro and the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 as well as either another k100d body or a k10d. I think only 1 of my current lenses would be able to handle a wedding situation and that is a manual focus 50mm f1.7.

Is there any other lenses that you would recommend for a wedding or even alternatives to the sigma ones ive listed?

Last edited by -spam-; 02-02-2007 at 04:07 AM.
02-02-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Both of those lenses sound good for shooting indoors, I would also think of the FA 50mm f1.4 if you can get one before the wedding. I know the 70-200mm is a very good lens to be able to give you room and also your subjects room to maneuver.

I do find that once the candids are done in the church it is not a bad idea to use your flash at the reception.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
02-02-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think sigma 70-200 f2.8 would do the trick.

I found this lens very capable in producing sharp and beautiful pictures with only thumbs up comments from most pentax users. Hardly hearing any negative comments regarding this lens. This lens is flexible with its focal length, not so heavy (but looks big) and it is sharp wide open (by my standard).

Few examples here (though I had no chance doing any wedding shots using pentax set up yet)

02-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I would also think of the FA 50mm f1.4 if you can get one before the wedding.
I was thinking of trying to find one of these. The trouble is obtaining one locally, everywhere i have looked is out of stock.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I do find that once the candids are done in the church it is not a bad idea to use your flash at the reception.
Ive got a sigma EF-500 dg super flash on the shopping list as well and another to replace the trusty ef-500 ST that im currently using.

02-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
roentarre,

great pictures showing what the lens is capable of. I had heard of some problems with this lens, but they seemed to all be canon related (one of the reasons i jumped ship from canon to pentax ) Such as autofocus issues to name one thing.

Any thoughts on the sigma 105mm f2.8?
02-02-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey, I was in canon camp too

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
roentarre,

great pictures showing what the lens is capable of. I had heard of some problems with this lens, but they seemed to all be canon related (one of the reasons i jumped ship from canon to pentax ) Such as autofocus issues to name one thing.

Any thoughts on the sigma 105mm f2.8?
The typical problem of sluggish AF speed and hunting is present in all sigma HSM. It is inevitable. Luckily 70-200 mm range is not that big. Most of the time, the focus is spot on very quickly. Of course, this lens is not as fast as any of canon L prime like 135L (which is just instant AF). On the k10d, it works smoothly and beautifully.

The images coming out of the sigma lens is typically flat like canon's but I think this lens is good enough.

I owned sigma 150 f2.8 macro and 105 f2.8 macro for canon mount. I think 105 macro is not much different from its own competition (less colour compared to canon 100 macro). Sigma 150 f2.8 macro is superb but I know there is no pentax mount for that.

I was very fond of sigma 70 f2.8 macro a while back. But sigma has not fundamentally changed its own weakness: HSM not being that high speed and inconsistent quality control issue for everything in sigma.

p.s. I sent in my bigma 50-500 to repair 5 weeks ago and I asked the pentax Australia to calibrate the lens for me at the same time. Now the AF is smoother somewhat and spot on focus at 500mm end!

Cheers
02-02-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I had a freind talk me into shooting his wedding this past summer. I used the Sigma for only a few shots in the church and for some formals. Also used the Sigma 500 Super. This was one of the most important tools I had. As far as lenses. I would say I used the DA 16-45 70% of the day. This was not your typical wedding very casual and fun if you want to see the shots you can check here. PhotoReflect - Patrick Brough The 50mm 1.7 should work out for you in the church and the reception but if it is a manual lens it could be challenging to focus if the hall is dark. Good luck.
02-03-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I would say I used the DA 16-45 70% of the day.
Did you find that f4 was fast enough? I had an opportunity to buy that lens a few weeks ago but held back because i didn't think it would be fast enough for what i need it for.

Great photos by the way, my favourite would be the one of the groom stepping out of the stretch hummer with the glass of champagne in his hands. Great expression on his face too

02-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #9

If you can wait some weeks i think you can buy a FA50, but use f2,8 or at least f2 for charp pics. I have useed a M85/2 (with analog 55=with digital)in a church in font and right of the couple, distance perhaps 3-5meters.
Sigma 105 is useful if you have a big distance in church. A DA14/2,8 or DA21 can bee nice in a smal room after.
Instead of DA21 you can use Sigma 24/1,8 but you have to use 2 - 2,8 for charpness. Sigma 18-50/2,8 DC Macro comming out "soon" too - itīs charp.
02-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would seriously consider a lightsphere. It does a great job on softening the light. choose the clear, not the cloudy.
If you need to diffuse the light with the clear, all you have to do is put some wax paper inside. some also use cotton balls.
.If you already have a good under 70mm lens, then if the new pentax lenses are out before your weddings the 70-135 2.8 should cover all of your bases.
If it is a big church, the extra range of this lens should get you up close enough and the 2.8 with a higher ISO should enable you to get some clear non flash shots.

good luck on your choices

randy
02-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Did you find that f4 was fast enough? I had an opportunity to buy that lens a few weeks ago but held back because i didn't think it would be fast enough for what i need it for.

Great photos by the way, my favourite would be the one of the groom stepping out of the stretch hummer with the glass of champagne in his hands. Great expression on his face too
Thanks for the compliment. For use with the flash the 16-45 was great. I agree with the others if you are not a 50mm 1.4 or even 1.7 would be more usefull in low light. I used a flash even in the church. SOme churchs have issues with that so you may want to check ahead. Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
02-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Spam,

Your 50mm should be a great lens to use. Just make sure to have lots of practice with it beforehand, especially in situations with a lot of movement.

I prefer shooting candids with available light and at a birthday party today, a 55mm f/2 and a third party (Gemini) 135mm f/2.8 that I borrowed from a K1000 owner a couple weeks back quickly became my most used lenses. I had a chance to try all my lenses this afternoon pretty extensively.

I set the 55 mm lens for a distance of 5 feet (or 10 feet with the 135mm) as a starting range. As I get the lens to my eye, I'm already twisting the focus for the proper range (whichever direction) that way I don't spend too much time trying to get the proper focus.

I've attached pictures taken from today as samples of what you will expect. The indoor lighting was quite poor. 60W max bulbs and a really bad mix of fluorescent and incandescent light throws off the WB. One indoor daylight shot.

I don't have one yet, but a magnifying eyecup will really help if you are using manual focus - useful in lower light situations.

Happy shooting!

All shots - SR on, handheld, resized for screen using Windows Image Resizer Powertoy, no retouching otherwise.

1 - K series Pentax SMC 55mm f/2 lens. ISO 800, 1/30 sec, f/2, no flash. Incandescent WB.
A baby (guest) with the father of the birthday girl.

2 - Gemini MC Auto 135mm f/2.8 MF (1:5 macro) lens. ISO 800, 1/20 sec, f/2.8, no flash. Incandescent WB.
An uncle and aunt of the birthday girl

3 - SMC Pentax FA 80-200 f/4.7-5.6 lens at 80mm, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/100 sec, exp. comp accidentally boosted +0.7. Onboard flash on. Flash WB.
My goddaughter, the birthday girl, eating one of her birthday cakes

4 - K series Pentax SMC 55mm f/2 lens. ISO 400, 1/50, f/2.8, no flash (daylight), Auto WB.
Cousin of the birthday girl and his girlfriend.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by Alvin; 02-03-2007 at 09:40 PM.
02-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #13

FLASH... FLASH... FLASH

I think a good and effective flash is the most important factor in the wedding. Here is what I would do:

Two bodies:
K100D

Two Flashes:
AF 540 FGZ on both bodies

On Body one:
DA 16-45 f/4 /swap/ Sigma 70-200 f/2.8

On body two:
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8

with this setup you will have redundant fail proof systems. Most of the time you would be shooting with the Tamron/body. And depending on the time/location/room size you would have either the Sigma or the 16-45 on the second body.

Also look into the LightSphere:
Lightsphere-II CLEAR w/DVD

and shoot in Raw and use a white/gray card to set the white balance:
WhiBal Gray Card for Digital Photo White Balance - RAW Workflow

You should also learn the "Standard" poses. It will be very difficult to come up with poses on the spot. Make sure you have a few in mind (and practice before hand). And, make sure the mother-in-laws are happy
02-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good suggestions .SAM.
02-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by .Sam. Quote

and shoot in Raw and use a white/gray card to set the white balance:
WhiBal Gray Card for Digital Photo White Balance - RAW Workflow
or an expo disc