Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bm777 Quote
Thanks Jim...However leave to UV on at all times...
They can degrade images too. I use them, but judiciously. If there are issues in the environment or situation that might result in front element damage I certainly put one on (the beach) but I often rely on the hood to protect the front element under normal circumstances.

02-12-2015, 08:02 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Filters

I use CPLs so often I usually leave them on the lens and take them off as necessary. I usually carry NDs in the bag, and for B & W film work, I still have red, green, yellow.
02-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks Jim...However leave to UV on at all times...
You will hear differing opinions but I do, as do many top pros I know. I have seen extensive test results that show pretty clearly that high-quality clear filters have little or no impact on image quality, even when stacked. The key there is high quality. I use only multi-coated, optical glass filters from respected makers. Cheap filters are more likely to cause image problems.
02-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #34
Inactive Account

The Australian sun is particularly harsh. Haven't seen much difference with/without the polarizers. I use Hoyas, but not the cheap ones..if I can mention names...if not, I humbly apologize!

02-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #35
Veteran Member

The Australian sun is particularly harsh. Haven't seen much difference with/without the polarizers. I use Hoyas, but not the cheap ones..if I can mention names...if not, I humbly apologize!
I don't see anything wrong with mentioning a brand name. We do it all the time here.

That said, I have to say that if you don't see any difference using a polarizer outdoors or not using one, you are probably not doing it correctly. When used correctly, intense sun will make the effect even more pronounced. The key is to use a polarizer when shooting at 90 degrees to the path of the light, or as close to 90 degrees as possible. As the angle is gradually reduced, so is the polarizing effect until no visible effect at all will be seen when shooting directly into or away from the sun. Perhaps you have been shooting with the sun over your shoulder and not seeing the effect. Try shooting at an angle to the light.
02-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
You will hear differing opinions but I do, as do many top pros I know. I have seen extensive test results that show pretty clearly that high-quality clear filters have little or no impact on image quality, even when stacked. The key there is high quality. I use only multi-coated, optical glass filters from respected makers. Cheap filters are more likely to cause image problems.
It's probably the topic most likely to start a fight on any photography forum.

I too use high quality filters on all my lenses. I see no benefit in not doing so: no amount of "careful" can prevent the kid who throws a rock that manages to hit your lens, the clumsy tourist who walks into your camera despite your attempts to dodge her, or the accumulation of dust, dirt, and pollution that floats around most populated area.

It's a bit like buying $500 audio cables to me: yeah, there's a small difference without the filter I'm sure, but you really care that much about a 2% image quality difference or 1% light transmission loss? If your images aren't making you thousands of dollars, you're spending a lot of time worrying over very little.
02-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Australian sun is particularly harsh. Haven't seen much difference with/without the polarizers.
I find it's a big difference in Oz, where there's so much sunshine (though, looking out the window, not at the moment! ).

As for UV, AFAIK one of the glass layers over the sensor is a filter.

02-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #38
Inactive Account

I think I haven't explained myself properly...When I said I didn't see much difference I meant in picture quality. The polarizer makes a heck of a difference when used/turned properly, especially on sea/sky, yessir!!

Was just curious as to what you guys (who are more advanced than me) were using...
02-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I use B+W ...either UV or clear filters on my lenses, for protection of the lens. I don't have filters on any of my three Limited lenses...21,40+70...for the simple reason that I've had difficulty fitting filters on these lenses. All my other lenses, I've fit filters on, with the obvious exception of the 10-17 FE...which won't take a filter.

So have 12 digital lenses...8 have filters...4 none. Eleven Pentax digital, one Sigma.

If you are going to use a filter, use a top quality like a B+W. What's the point of putting a cheap filter with a cheap piece of glass in front of your very expensive lens.

BTW, I've experimented taking pix with some of my lenses...with and without filter (B+W) and I find that I can't see any difference...even when the pix is blown up to 11 X 14. I don't enlarge more than that....we just have a regular size house and only so much wall space.