Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Is the focus screen accurate? You use the same body for your other two 1.2 lenses?

01-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Is the focus screen accurate? You use the same body for your other two 1.2 lenses?

Yes, it is.
01-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure you can't do in-body fine focus adjustment for A series lenses. You certainly have a pretty large discrepancy between Live view and PD focus confirmation.

For what it's worth, when I focus the A50/1.2 through the viewfinder (which is most of the time) I never use the focus confirmation beep - I *look* at the image in the viewfinder until the paper thin bit I want to be optimally focussed is in focus. Just like we did in the olden days
01-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm pretty sure you can't do in-body fine focus adjustment for A series lenses. You certainly have a pretty large discrepancy between Live view and PD focus confirmation.

For what it's worth, when I focus the A50/1.2 through the viewfinder (which is most of the time) I never use the focus confirmation beep - I *look* at the image in the viewfinder until the paper thin bit I want to be optimally focussed is in focus. Just like we did in the olden days
That is what I have been trying to do, and it is starting to pay off. I have taken about 200 shots this afternoon just trying to get the hang of it. Never mind my +2 +2 for reading lens prescription from my optometrist.

Ton answer the question about the camera, I try only to use the lenses wide open. Here is my Chinon Tamioka 55/1.4:

01-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #20
Forum Member

I don't think the focus confirmation is sensitive enough for a 1.2 lens. The first manual lens I used on my K10 was a 1.7 and I used the focus confirmation to adjust focus. I didn't get many shots in focus.
Later on I installed an E-SS screen and have shot my K50mm f/1.2 with about a 75% of the pictures in focus.
Your best bet is live view/focus peaking, or hold the shutter down while slowly focusing. one of those shots should be in focus.
01-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Came across this today, it may be of some help.

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: AF Fine Adjustment: "Apply All" and "Apply One" Fully Explained
01-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Focusing high Speed lenses with standard focusing screen is a very delicate matter. And even slight errors in adjustment - barely noticeable for Your eye - will render Your picture out of Focus. So LV will be Your rescue here.
With my K20D I have a properly adjusted KatzEye focusing Screen with split field and it's the only optical viewfinder of my cams I can get pictures taken with my Revue 1.2 lens with satisfying sharpness at the desired point.

Regards
Stephan

01-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #23

One of the reasons why EVFs (focus peaking in the view finder) vs OVFs are popular.
01-12-2015, 01:31 AM   #24
sTi
Forum Member

Could the problem be related to focus shift?
diglloyd - Focus - Focus Shift and Spherical Aberration

Remember: You never actually see the lens @ f/1.2 even through the viewfinder, it will always appear as if it was stopped down somewhat (the same is true for phase AF, which produces the focus confirmation). You can check this with optical depth of field preview, just compare f1.2, f2, f2.8, f4...
01-12-2015, 04:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The A 50/1.2 is sharp enough at f1.2.

f1.2 on K5. Click to enlarge.

It looks like your images are out of focus.
01-12-2015, 05:43 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
...It looks like your images are out of focus.
Duh? Did you read the thread?
01-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Pentax 50 f1.2??

Yes, its a sharp lens.

On any Pentax DSLR, the issue will be that AF confirm will have a tolerance.
I always found that turning the focus ring from far to near focus hit the 'right' spot more than going from near to far. (on my camera+lens combi)
Its just how it hits the in focus part within the AF confirm 'window'.

The EES precision focusing screen will help too (I used it on a 5D with the K50/1,2 )
There is a version from focusingscreen.com iirc.
01-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Nice images pinholecam!

But anyway, to TS, yes.. you'll need or definitely want, to use the Canon EE-S Screen as it is designed to be used with fast lenses.
The DOF which you see, is accurate up to f/1.2, whereas the stock screen is accurate to about f/2.8 only.

I've been using it ever since i got my Kr and i got it from focusingscreen.com
01-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ouch, those are not only sharp but painful. I took a class at the Leica store, and that is how they tell you to focus, from infinity to close up.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Pentax 50 f1.2??

Yes, its a sharp lens.

On any Pentax DSLR, the issue will be that AF confirm will have a tolerance.
I always found that turning the focus ring from far to near focus hit the 'right' spot more than going from near to far. (on my camera+lens combi)
Its just how it hits the in focus part within the AF confirm 'window'.

The EES precision focusing screen will help too (I used it on a 5D http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westernjournalism.com%2Fschoo...tu9N3x&s=1with the K50/1,2 )
There is a version from focusingscreen.com iirc.
01-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I've got it down!

Well, it is for sure. I have to go by the focus light and sign, then push a bit further the focus ring, and I get it MOST of the time. Here are samples wide open:

Stopped down at f4, no problem: