Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Last year, I had very good results photographing in Borneo mostly with a couple of zooms (the WR 18-135 and 55-300). I brought the 77 1.8 but didn't use it often. I had better results with the pair of zooms than Mr frogoutofwater did with his super-zoom. I like not having to deal with lens changes and because a lot of what I photograph is animals or people (dynamic situations), if I have to stop and change a lens I miss the shot. I've also had good success with a 2-zoom plus prime combo for all-day excursions at the Catskill Animal Sanctuary (where I volunteer as a photographer) and on a documentary photography workshop.

There are very few landscapes in my favourite photos - it's not something that interests me very much. So I don't think I'll concentrate my photographic resources at the wide end. (And I'm not about to buy any new lenses for this trip - even I think I've got enough for now. ) However, I had overlooked the possibility of photographing people in the street (or similar scenes) at dusk, so a somewhat faster zoom might be a good idea. So I think I'll bring the Sigma 17-70 instead of the Pentax 18-135 - the Sigma also has a shorter focusing distance (22cm vs 40cm) and an extra mm at the wide end. Accordingly, I think I'll revise my camera bag as follows.

My camera bag:
  • K-3
  • Sigma 17-70
  • Pentax WR 55-300
  • Pentax 50mm macro 2.8
  • Pentax 1.4 Teleconverter
  • Pentax 77mm 1.8
  • Pentax AF 360FGZ II flash + Fstoppers flash disc + cable
  • Sony RX100 III (back-up)
Mr frogoutofwater's camera bag
  • K-5II
  • Sigma 18-250
  • DA 15mm
  • Tamron 90mm macro
That all sounds very fine, to be honest more than I would take since I like "light". I might well try a zoom this time after listening to your experiences, though, with a prime or two as well. Madeira is very mountainous and green so it is a landscape/seascape place for me, with some flowers and local places added in. Snow forecast here in the next day or so. Cannot wait to hit the airport really .. same charming small hotel as last year where the staff are so friendly ... And that 50mm macro sounds darn tempting too ... it always gets good write-ups. Another thing I often take is an IR remote. Place cam on a ledge or a rice/bean bag after dark or inside an old church, and use the remote for a long exposure at base ISO. Often works a treat. Can also do with self-timer but a bit more fiddly and no mirror up shots, I think. Hope you have a fab time ...

01-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Puerto Vallarta is a pretty decent place, but I agree with your opinion on that.

While PV isn't Ensenada or Tijuana, it also isn't Maui or Grand Cayman. I'd be most likely to bring a WR and some plastic fantastic gear.
I'd be more worried about Maui than PV. And I have reason to be more worried about credit card fraud without even leaving the safety of my own home.

If we don't have a safe in our apart-hotel, my father will in the condo he has rented.

---------- Post added 01-13-15 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
That all sounds very fine, to be honest more than I would take since I like "light". I might well try a zoom this time after listening to your experiences, though, with a prime or two as well. Madeira is very mountainous and green so it is a landscape/seascape place for me, with some flowers and local places added in. Snow forecast here in the next day or so. Cannot wait to hit the airport really .. same charming small hotel as last year where the staff are so friendly ... And that 50mm macro sounds darn tempting too ... it always gets good write-ups. Another thing I often take is an IR remote. Place cam on a ledge or a rice/bean bag after dark or inside an old church, and use the remote for a long exposure at base ISO. Often works a treat. Can also do with self-timer but a bit more fiddly and no mirror up shots, I think. Hope you have a fab time ...
Ooh. I forgot that we have a Pentax remote somewhere in our pile of gear. Another item added to the packing list.

It is a fair bit of gear but it's split between the two of us, so that makes it a bit easier to carry around. I think that if this were just a sightseeing/family holiday thing, and especially if we were moving from place to place, I would pack less. But since I'm going to try to do some work for the animal shelter while I'm there, I will end up taking a little more than usual.
01-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a Canuck out of water myself (living in Hell-Eh - L.A.), both PV and Maui are reasonably safe. PV is more laid back. Maui (Hawaii in general) is very expensive... then again, most places are relatively inexpensive compared to NYC
01-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The 15, then 17-70 or 18-135.

02-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been back for almost a month and have been remiss in posting a trip report. Here is an abbreviated one:

Although we strolled around the city a fair bit, I didn't end up doing much street photography or people portraiture. I was on vacation and I photographed what I love to photograph: animals. I used the WR 55-300 most often, followed by the Sigma 17-70. I also experimented a bit with the 77mm + teleconverter and with the 35mm macro.

I spent a couple of afternoons volunteering at the SPCA-Puerto Vallarta, a donation-funded, no-kill shelter. I was really impressed with how well-run the shelter was. They undertake some significant medical treatments for certain animals and everyone I saw there was showering love on the animals. If you are visiting Puerto Vallarta and love animals (or know others making the trip), the SPCA loves to receive visitors, who help socialize the animals, take them for walks, etc. They also are looking for people (especially people travelling from Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Victoria - where they have very active foster family networks) who would be willing either to: a) transport a dog from PV to a foster family (who will meet you at the airport), or b) transport a crate from your departure point back to Puerto Vallarta. Find out more by going to their website: SPCA PV | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Here is a link to my photos from my visits to the shelter:
SPCA Puerto Vallarta - frogoutofwater photography

The rest of the time, I mostly photographed birds (especially pelicans) and stray dogs and cats. I haven't photographed birds in flight much before - pelicans were good for practice because they sometimes fly fairly slowly (and make repeat fishing trips so you can get a sense of where they're going to be and what they're going to do). These are cropped and I think I need some re-editing.
Puerto Vallarta - frogoutofwater photography
02-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a recent family trip to Costa Rica I took DA18-135 and DA*300 as I was interested in wildlife and like to shoot street as well.
This turned out to be a great combo with WR coming in handy for humidity and occasional drizzle.
I had the luxury of two bodies so did not have to change lenses and slow down the group.
I missed not having the DFA100WR macro as there were opportunities for insect shots that it would have been perfect for.
Didn't really miss a fast lens, I just used flash when needed or long exposure.
A small tripod came in handy for the long exposure stuff.
02-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
For a recent family trip to Costa Rica I took DA18-135 and DA*300 as I was interested in wildlife and like to shoot street as well.
This turned out to be a great combo with WR coming in handy for humidity and occasional drizzle.
I had the luxury of two bodies so did not have to change lenses and slow down the group.
I missed not having the DFA100WR macro as there were opportunities for insect shots that it would have been perfect for.
Didn't really miss a fast lens, I just used flash when needed or long exposure.
A small tripod came in handy for the long exposure stuff.
Raynox 150 supposedly works well on the 55-300 - I wonder if it also would work on the DA* 300?

02-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Raynox 150 supposedly works well on the 55-300 - I wonder if it also would work on the DA* 300?
hmmmm...