Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What does "R" stands for in a Helios lens?

I got my first Russian lens today: Helios 44K-4, and I'm baffled by the inscription "R" in the aperture scale right before f/2. What does it stands for? (Wild guess: "Rewind"? during the film era?) What does it do?

First impression: Other than focusing ring going counterclockwise, and a bit tight nearing the infinity, I think that I'm going to like the lens' very unique rendering,

01-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I got my first Russian lens today: Helios 44K-4, and I'm baffled by the inscription "R" in the aperture scale right before f/2. What does it stands for? (Wild guess: "Rewind"? during the film era?) What does it do?

First impression: Other than focusing ring going counterclockwise, and a bit tight nearing the infinity, I think that I'm going to like the lens' very unique rendering,
That is for infrared (*hyperfocal) focusing, isn't it? I believe other manual lenses will just have a red mark, not always noted with an "R".
01-12-2015, 08:37 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I looked up google translate and "Rоблин" is Russian for goblin. I think the goblin / pixie dust is activated at the R on the scale. Hope this helps... ;-)
01-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
That is for infrared (*hyperfocal) focusing, isn't it? I believe other manual lenses will just have a red mark, not always noted with an "R".
In the film days if you were shooting infrared film, you would focus normally and then "shift" your focus point to align with the red line or in your case the red R.

01-13-2015, 01:18 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by alexcam Quote
In the film days if you were shooting infrared film, you would focus normally and then "shift" your focus point to align with the red line or in your case the red R.
Absolutely correct.

In the lens manual, the focusing description includes (in my rough translation):
"When working with an infrared film, the reference index of the distance scale is marked by a red line with "R" letter. After the focusing, you should shift the focusing ring so the distance scale value pointed by the regular index would align with the red line with "R" letter."
01-13-2015, 02:05 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I looked up google translate and "Rоблин" is Russian for goblin. I think the goblin / pixie dust is activated at the R on the scale. Hope this helps... ;-)
I'm going with this answer.
01-13-2015, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Calsan is such a kidder. But he is very likely right as well.