Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #1

Help looking for a budget wide

I had my eyse set on a Vivitar 17-28mm that I usually see on ebay for around $40, finally got the money but now ebay is bone dry on these.(there's one but it's horrendously overpriced)

is there a similar manual focus lens? in Pentax K, M42,OM,CY, Minolta or FD? Hoping to spend $40-80

It's going to be used on a digital mirrorless(for video work), PK and M42 would be ideal so I could use it on my Pentax film body but mostly needed for the mirrorless.

by some miracle is there a fisheye available for under $80? do the zeniths ever go that cheap? do the Rokinon? I remember seeing them on sale for $120 new last year but I missed the Amazon deal.

Thanks!

01-14-2015, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KEH has a 18-28mm EX and a Vivitar 17-28mm also EX. These are the same lens. I purchased a 18-28mm branded as Phoenix/Samyang. Also goes by other names--look at the Pentaxforums Lens reviews.

BTW a while ago (maybe 6 months about) I purchased an EX Vivitar (17-28mm) from KEH and it was decentered and I returned it. (Hope this isn't the same one--although they refunded my shipping both ways, etc. at the time they put it back into inventory still as EX.)

If you are not sure what you want, and don't mind the weight, it is a good lens to start with. I rarely use wider than 28m (I do have a 21 and 24mm) and I thought sometimes it might be nice to have the option of the wide range. But have not enough use to say much more at this point.

BTW I have a Vivitar 21mm f/3.8 T4 (M42) lens and it is maybe my most used lens. I do theater photography and it is always mounted on one of my cameras. But you will need a M42 to K mount adapter, and you will need to wedge the aperture mechanism to always be stopped down. Resolution is not huge but it's OK and it has virtually no distortion. In photoshop (1.5 cropped dslr) I found the distortion to be 1.0%. Small enough that except possibly for architecture shots it needs no adjustment (anyway not w/ cropped pentax sensor).

Last edited by dms; 01-14-2015 at 07:29 PM.
01-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah I saw those on Keh, but they're selling for more than twice what they usually go for on ebay.

Ended up buying a kit 18-55mm and regret it already. Not wide enough at 18mm and terribly slow at 55mm. Plus I can't use it on the 35mm.

I have a sigma 21-35mm in PK mount, but I took it part to clean and could never reassemble it correctly. Should have just left it dirty!

The main lens I use on my 35mm pentax is a 28mm, which is perfect for street but not wide enough for live music shows. Mostly punk and metal gigs, I'm right on the stage right next to the band at small venues.

Last edited by maverick75; 01-17-2015 at 12:39 PM.
01-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Unfortunately....Wide cost Bucks !
Once you go below 28mm.....the price doubles ....triples..... and quadruples.
I went through the same dilemma . Ended up with a Ricoh 28mm XR for $39 attached to a dead Beater K1000.
Tossed the camera....kept the lens.
It gets good reviews here on the forum so it was well worth it.
Sometimes you get real lucky on ebay.....but not too often.

01-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found one of these at NatCam that should arrive next week, but here's one on ebay. I'm not expecting wonders, but for a fisheye at that price (under your $80 limit) it should be fun to play around a bit. $bay link. There are a number of other clones of this lens for which the asking price is much higher. (Search on 12mm fisheye)
HERE is the review in the PF database, but HERE is a more thorough review
I'm anxious to see how my copy turns out!