Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hoods for M 50 1.7 SMC?

The impulse eBay purchase has arrived! It was dirt cheap, but appears to novice eyes to be in excellent condition. I'd like to keep it that way, AND maximise image quality (now I'm learning all about such things, thanks to you wonderful people!) However,.. given the apparent scarcity of original hoods, I'm wondering: is the UV filter I got good enough to do the job? Are there any newer hoods suitable for this lens?

Thank you!

01-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could try a screw-on hood with a 49mm thread.
A filter is not going to cut it.
Anyway I'm usually shooting it without a hood, and didn't notice major issues so far.

Edit: it's by far my favourite lens, and the one I use the most. That was not an "impulse purchase", it was a mandatory/compulsory one...

Last edited by LensBeginner; 01-15-2015 at 02:13 PM.
01-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need the UV filter, unless you want to use it as a lens cap. As far as hoods go, I'm using a "standard 49mm" metal screw on hood, found cheaply at that auction-site. Works very well on my 50s.
01-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trip Quote
The impulse eBay purchase has arrived! It was dirt cheap, but appears to novice eyes to be in excellent condition. I'd like to keep it that way, AND maximise image quality (now I'm learning all about such things, thanks to you wonderful people!) However,.. given the apparent scarcity of original hoods, I'm wondering: is the UV filter I got good enough to do the job? Are there any newer hoods suitable for this lens?

Thank you!
A generic rubber hood should do.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The metal takumar 49mm hood for 135mm f/3.5 and 200mm f/5.6 works w/ this lens on a cropped sensor pentax dslr --even w/ a regular filter (not sure about PL). Gives excellent physical and flare protection. They are usually around $10. at KEH.