Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2007, 06:56 AM   #1

First Prime

Just won a auction on ebay for my first Prime Lens - old SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2.0. Not the f/1.4 everyone talks about, but for $20 figure its a good place to start to see if I even like using a 50mm.

Is this a decent lens? For the price just could not pass it up.

Hopefully see it in a few days and can post some pictures up with it. Adding this to my kit lnes 18-55mm and the 50-200mm.

Jon

02-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Ed in GA

I think it is.

My first Camera, a K1000, came with a 50mm F2 lens. I took literaly thousands of photographs with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by buckethead Quote
Just won a auction on ebay for my first Prime Lens - old SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2.0. Not the f/1.4 everyone talks about, but for $20 figure its a good place to start to see if I even like using a 50mm.

Hopefully see it in a few days and can post some pictures up with it. Adding this to my kit lnes 18-55mm and the 50-200mm.

Jon
02-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I have a 2.0 and a 1.7, and in my opinion you'll be hard pressed to see a difference between the two on a K100D. It's a great, overlooked lens, which is why you can pick them up for $20.

It took me the better part of an hour before I got the hang of using -M lenses on the K100D, so don't get frustrated if you don't get great shots the first time.
02-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
I am hard pressed to get great shots period

Glad to hear that I did not just waste some money on it.

02-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

i don't think that you can waste any money on a "M" series lens. i like all of mine 50/1.4, 28/2.8, 200/4
02-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Jon
I tried a M 50 at a camera shop and I found out this:

when the lens is in focus, your camera will beep. also the little red dots will show on the point of focus.
it is very very touchy though. I tried this with my auto focus in manual and it seems to be quite a little trick
he also showed me to hold the DOF preview and then when you line up the lines in your view finder, that will indicate you have the proper exposure.

randy
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #7

I would agree with Roy, you can't really waste your money on these lenses, it is one of the things that makes Pentax a really great deal. I personally have m42 lenses (they are the predecessors to the M and A models). I have a 50mm f1.4 super takumar, a 55mm f1.8 super multi coated takumar, a 55mm 2.0 super takumar, a 135mm f 3.5 super takumar, and a 300mm f4 super takumar. They are all very good with the 50 1.4 and the 300 f4 being the best of the bunch. I also have the 18-55 kit lens and the 50 -200. The manual lenses are a great addition and even the 50mm f2.0 you got is considerably faster than either of the DA lenses.

The A and M series are nice because you do not have to use an adapter as you do with these older lenses.

I don't think you will be sorry. If you get a chance, look at "carpents" site under the lens thread, it shows a bunch of lenses both old and new and photos that were made with the lenses, it is fascinating.

Good luck and have fun,

Ed
02-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I picked up the A version of that lens from KEH and I love it.

Once you get the hang of doing the manual exposure (which is not difficult) I think you'll find yourself very pleased with the lens and even chuckle over having gotten something of great value for a very low price.

02-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Jon
I just bought a 50mm f/2 for a buddy, $20.20 shipped. I myself am getting a 1.4 as soon as I get my m42 adapter in.........
02-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
Just got it today....

Received the lens today and have snapped off a ton of photo's with it tonight. After only using DA Lenses on AF this is quite the change going to Manual Focus. Even though this is the f/2 I am impressed with the low light photo's compared to the kit lens and the 50-200mm. Does the f/1.4 offer that much better?

One thing for sure though is that it is going to help me learn how to take photo's with the correct exposure - albiet with tons of trial and error to start.
02-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Even though this is the f/2 I am impressed with the low light photo's compared to the kit lens and the 50-200mm. Does the f/1.4 offer that much better?
I'd say it's about 1 stop better.

(Which is not necessarily insignificant, depending on lighting conditions. Remember, f1.4 lets in twice the amount of light as f2.)

QuoteQuote:
One thing for sure though is that it is going to help me learn how to take photo's with the correct exposure - albiet with tons of trial and error to start.
To reduce the time spent on trial and error, I recommend you do two things: Buy Brian Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". It may well be the most useful book on photography I've ever read.

Then, visit this website: Ultimate Exposure Computer

You can teach your brain to be a light meter.