Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 04:41 AM   #16
RaduA

I have the FA 50 since spring last year. I use it first on K100D and latter on K20D. I would sum it up in couple sentences:

PROs:

- Great value for the money;
- coming from the kit zoom most certainly opens up a new dimension of low light creative photo;
- Obviously very good for portraits;
- Very good for indoor and product shots in studio;
- Very sharp on center at f4 and f5.6;
- Full frame (for whom that matters I personally don't think it will be a good performer on an over 20 MP full frame anyway).

CONs:

- Low contrast and resolution from f1.4 till f2 (f2 is usable but not as good as Zeiss ZK 50 or Voigtlaender Nokton 58)
- Not that good for sunny outdoor in some circumstances due to intrusive PF;
- I find the colors and contrast of my DA* 16-50 more pleasing outdoor in sunny weather;
- According to photozone.de review it is very sharp in center from f2.8 but not very uniform even at f4 or f5.6;
- Build is ok but nothing too spectacular;
- On my cameras (both) the AF was so-so in terms of speed;
- for 2.5x price you can buy FA43 LTd a truly awesome lens in every way better than FA 50 and also full frame;
- DA* 55 is looming on the horizon - when the performances and price will be known one can make a judgment according to his own needs.

Radu

Pentax SMC-FA 50mm f/1.4 - Review / Lab Test Report

05-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for everyones reply. I value the open and honest comments.
Jeff, (roverlr3)
05-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
I think that it is a great portrait lens but it is also a great lens in general. You can certainly shoot outdoors with it, keeping in mind that the FOV is going to be what it is. There is a place for a tighter landscape shot.

WOW!

Beautiful child, beautiful portrait!

Good job, Felix!

Mike
05-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have used it for a tighter landscape shot and it can really work out ... I have used it for a lot of different shots ... my favourites though are the single closer portraits of my neices though.

05-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

this lens gonna be legend i think.

always on my camera at this moment.

--

i just wish it have the same metal barrel with the previous k or m.
05-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I like my FA50/1.4 .

In fact I like the 50mm range so much that I have four : M50/1.7 , A50/2.8 Macro , A50/2.0 and of course the FA version !

Also I learned that I can walk backward very well

Use it just about everyweek :

Tran
05-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roverlr3 Quote
I'll open up by asking is the FA 50mm 1.4 a "people portrait" lens for the most part, or is it a great all purpose lens. It has been said many times on the forum, how wonderful this optic is, and I was wanting to know how most of you use your FA 50? For such a small investment and all the positive feedback, I don't think I should hesitate on the purchase of this lens.
I'm using it mainly for portraits. This is such a great lens for this purpose. Even f/1.4 is usable and can bring some magic for portraits. It's not usable for low-light street photography though, you have to use at least f/2.0 in my opinion. My best portraits have been taken between f/2.0 and f/2.8. f/4.0 and f/5.6 are unbelievably sharp. It's still one of my most used lens just after the Tamron 18-250.

Aside from portraits, there is also low-light photography. For this I consider it more like a f/2.0 lens. At f/1.4 the halos around the edges and the overall softness are no better than using a high ISO setting. Maybe the new DA 55mm f/1.4 will be better in this regard?

I could use it also for landscapes but 50mm is a bit limitating, especially on APS-C. And since you need small apertures, it's less distinctive from other lenses at f/8.0 or more. For macros, unless you're using some kind of close-up add-ons it doesn't focus near enough. There is a D-FA 50mm f/2.8 for this.

I just received my FA77 Ltd yesterday and did some tests. It's great for sure but it doesn't seem I'll use it more than the 50. Its FOV is even more restrictive and the IQ difference seems not that big for my purposes. But I'm on day 1 with this lens so I may change my mind later.

For the price, it's really the best AF lens you can get. The DA 40mm is close (and I ordered one yesterday) but it's only f/2.8. The 43mm ltd maybe better but it's twice the price.
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #23

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
WOW!

Beautiful child, beautiful portrait!

Good job, Felix!

Mike
Thanks Mike. Just a bit of sharpening and curve adjustment in PP. The shot just came out of the camera as a winner.

05-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

felix68 :

That is one heck of a shot ! Well done, indeed .

Tran
05-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #25

the Pentax 50mm lens is great.
Economic and bright.
highly recommended.
Here some pictures taken with him.
REVI
05-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #26

I have been researching lenses for the past month and bit the bullet last night.. I orded the FA 50mm 1.4... All the rave reviews I have read and pictures I have seen from this lense along with the price sealed the deal for me. I know I could spend double or triple the cash for a limited or a macro or any number of other lenses, but I wanted a good lense that was affordable to use for portraits and also just to get back to a more basic style of shooting... I can't wait to get my new lense... I have a trip to Boston and Maine in 2 weeks to shoot a wedding and to sightsee.... I'll prove out the lense on that trip! I am sooooo excited!
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #27
mph

09-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #28
Inactive Account

With all the love going on for the 50mm f/1.4, I'm almost tempted to try and track one down despite the fact that I've got the 43mm Ltd, just to get a feel for all that F/1.4 goodness...

Loving my new (used) K10D!