Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What's the k10d kit lens good for?

Ok, I am a total newbie to photography and my k10d with kit lens will be here today. I want to learn the camera first before buyin additional lenses.
I have seen alot of your wonderful pictures on here and have been thinking about what to shoot and etc.
What kinds of pictures should I expect to be able to do with the kit lens? Maybe this is a vague question, but I don't know where to start other than shooting family members and some stuff in the backyard. It did snow today, so that might be a good start, but hear there is a few tricks for shooting snow and etc.
Someone give me some ideas, an assignment, so I will have something to shoot within my limited focal range and experience.

As soon as my camera gets here, within the next hour or so, I will be able to put my "proud owner of a k10d" banner in my sig!

02-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I wouldn't expect that you can make any kind of picture. Sound harsh? Well I'm a skeptic with newbies. Even after it (camera) arrives you got a two hour wait for the batteries to charge so visit this site: photonhead, and play with one or more of the sim-cams for a while. That will give you the basics that are largely missing from the manual.

From there a trip to a local bookstore might be more help than just spinning dials and clicking at everything in sight. Find Bryan Peterson's Learning to See Creatively, rev ed. Bryan has some interesting exercises that will have you crawling around on the ground and shooting between peoples legs--fun stuff! But very helpful; see (ha ha) before you can make the camera 'see' what you 'see', maybe you should 'see' what the camera 'sees'. Good Luck!
02-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

it's good for a lot of things. all of these were shot with it.. it'll take you some time but you will get it together sooner or later. go with john's advice and read all you can. you have to know the technical aspects of photography before you can apply them to the camera. anybody can take good pictures but taking good pictures is a whole different ball game.
Picasa Web Albums - roy - Fog
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I am waiting for the battery to charge and then I am going to see if it needs firmware updates and get that part done. I understand some basic camera settings and I have a friend who is experienced, who will be helping me get started. I ordered a book from amazon, but I also know there is a wealth of info online.

02-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, battery charged and firmware updated... Now going to take some pictures, but it's such an ugly day outside.

Also, how in the heck do I put one of the k10d owner sig pic in my sig?
02-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
Nevermind.... figured it out, now off to take some pictures!

Oh, and I ordered the Sigma 70-300 lens today to play with. I read some good reviews on it and it was within my budget, so I will let you know how it goes.