Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #1

New 16-45mm goes snap, crackle, and pop

Today I was excited as all hell that my 16-45mm came in earlier than expected, and meant I could take it with me to Taiwan on a trip. Well it arrived at work, and when I finally got home to test it on my K20, the lens made a horrible crunch when adjusting the focal length. Something with the focusing was jammed, and completely broke apart inside the lens assembly. Now you get the hear a lovely rattle of screws, bearings... whatever rattling around between the elements

While technically the lens does still work, kinda... it will jam when focusing depending on where that loose piece is, or jam when adjusting focal length. No idea what broke internally, but when the sound first came, it sounded almost like aperture blades scraping something. Like a really thin piece of plastic or metal scratching a piece when the lens expanded, then cracked off.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them on a DA lens, or am I incredibly unlucky? I cant seem to catch a break, with my previous DA* 16-50 having focusing problems as well, but with a completely different setup. I think I want to just say "screw it" with zoom lenses and stay with primes right now.

05-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dietcokefiend Quote
Today I was excited as all hell that my 16-45mm came in earlier than expected, and meant I could take it with me to Taiwan on a trip. Well it arrived at work, and when I finally got home to test it on my K20, the lens made a horrible crunch when adjusting the focal length. Something with the focusing was jammed, and completely broke apart inside the lens assembly. Now you get the hear a lovely rattle of screws, bearings... whatever rattling around between the elements

While technically the lens does still work, kinda... it will jam when focusing depending on where that loose piece is, or jam when adjusting focal length. No idea what broke internally, but when the sound first came, it sounded almost like aperture blades scraping something. Like a really thin piece of plastic or metal scratching a piece when the lens expanded, then cracked off.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them on a DA lens, or am I incredibly unlucky? I cant seem to catch a break, with my previous DA* 16-50 having focusing problems as well, but with a completely different setup. I think I want to just say "screw it" with zoom lenses and stay with primes right now.
Thats really unfortunate..my sympathies...you can always claim a replacement if its inside the warranty period........and unless YOU might be the cause!
05-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It happened to my Sigma 24-135/2.8-4.5 Asph If. My aperture ring actually went dead. The click stops do nothing and the aperture only functioned on the "A" setting. I heard rattling inside too and sometimes it would get lodged in the helicoid and the zoom ring would get stuck. That was like a year ago. I haven't heard it since nor has the little piece impaired operation.

Must have found its own little space to rest in. If it keeps interrupting the function of your lens, I'd definitely go for an exchange or at the least a repair.
05-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back it goes, says I. Under warranty, one hopes.

I sure wouldn't use a lens that sounds like that! I once loaned out to a student a 28mm M42 (long out of warranty, 'natch) that came back sounding awful and feeling like a bucket of gravel had been dumped into the focusing helical. Student mumbled a vague story, I forgave her, and went shopping for a replacement.

Last edited by christinelandon; 05-27-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: grammar