Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 12:29 AM - 4 Likes   #1

LBA: Sigma 30 Art - praise to THoog - concert shots

Wow, I just shot an low light concert with my new Sigma 30 1.4 Art and I just had to post a public thanks to THoog, (Todd), for his review of this lens. I was so discouraged by the announcement in the official review that this lens had focusing issues because I have wanted it (or its earlier version for many years). As Todd predicted the lens focuses accurately with my k-5ii (no focus adjustments necessary) as long as I pick the focus point manually or just use the center focus point.

Yes, on the first shot I chose to focus on the audience at this Arco-PDX amplified classical music concert, not the performers. All the shots are at f/1.4 The first shot was shot at iso i600 and 1/50. The second one is not so well exposed, I was underexposing to keep their faces from burning out and shooting fast to keep their hands from blurring -- iso 3200 at 1/500. I wish I had stuck with 1/250. The 3rd is a better iso 3200 exposure, 1/20 of a second (dark!)

my Pile of Prints photo gallery/

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by close-enough; 01-20-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar
01-20-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Real nice compositions!
01-20-2015, 01:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great stuff! I really like the first and third.
01-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #4
Forum Member

Great shots...especially the first one. Love the mood created by the black and white.

01-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw "THoog" and thought "hey, I know that guy!" Great pix! I think you really played to the Art 30's strengths. I am delighted to have contributed, in some small way.
01-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
45 is the new 50.

One thing that isn't talked about much in the discussions of this lens is its FOV.

I was betting/hoping that I would fall for the 30mm (45mm on crop sensor) FOV as well as its low light abilities. I'm kind a wide angle guy-- I use the DA 15 or the DA 21 90% of the time. My DA 40 I don't use much, and will use it less now as it is no longer my low-light AF lens ;-).

I'm pleased that the 1st picture, that has been well received here, is seen in the same way I frame my wide angle shots-- bringing together two widely spaced objects, here the audience and the performers are connected by the light which is standing in for the sound that is actually connecting them.

Also, I'm doing a lot of street photography. In that world everyone knows that Henry-Cartier Bresson, the godfather of street, shot almost entirely with a 50mm FOV. However, he used the 50mm FOV as today's photographer's use the 35mm FOV-- to link disparate persons and objects into an intuitive unity rather than to isolate a single object or person. Today the 50mm FOV is rarely used for such photography now. (35mm, a FOV that doesn't exist in our world, being their new standard.) The most widely read street photography evangelist, Eric Kim, argues that our world is now too crowded for Bresson's 50mm FOV. I thought that Kim's argument was bunk, but I couldn't be sure. I guess I'll find out for sure when I take the Sigma 30 to India later this year. A lot of people use a 35mm lens as their crop sensor 50mm FOV and I thought I'd have a much better chance of proving Eric Kim wrong with a 45 rather than a 53mm FOV.

(On edit, Todd, I added your real name to the original post. Thanks again.)
01-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by close-enough Quote
The most widely read street photography evangelist, Eric Kim, argues that our world is now too crowded for Bresson's 50mm FOV.
That's his opinion (and a lot of people take it as gospel, apparently).

It depends on the shooting style, which if you look, on average, or for most people, it has changed since Bresson's days. Look at how "clean" Bresson's images are and how crowded/busy most of today's street photographers are. Eric's style is still cleaner than most, but there's a lot out there that I can't really get into.

50mm is still fine and it allows for less distortion, and also allows you to keep a bit more distance from your subjects.

This discussion could easily be a new topic, though