Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Just pressed Buy on Voigtlander Ultron 2/40 M42

Photo above is directly from the eBay listing.

I was planning to buy the DA40 and after a lost auction and some other eBay related incidents from this weekend I gave it a second thought. Then I found out there is a Voigtlander Ultron 40 f2 SL II (reviewed on pentaxforums). But on eBay I found this sexy M42 version with chrome finish.

The main reasons were:
- 1 stop faster
- very sharp from wide open - sharper than FA43 wide open and even DA40 (some claim on the net that you have to stop down a bit DA40 to achieve Ultron's sharpness wide open) and DA 40 is notable for being sharp from 2.8
- the look.... Oh My God!

Otherwise it shares with DA40 all the great features of it such as impressive build quality and weight. The lack of AF is compensated by a MF ring that has the perfect movement for manual focusing (at least that's what people say online, including one reference from the review on PentaxForums).

I'll keep anyone interested up-to-date when I get it.

But in the meantime, all the information online seems to be based on the SL II version in Nikon / Pentax mounts. Does anyone here has any experience with this M42 version?

Last edited by misomosi; 07-14-2015 at 04:08 AM.
01-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sexy Sexy Sexy...If I had one I would put it on the shelf so I could look at it all the time. Damn that thing is pretty!
01-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Really no better than the DA 40 pancake IMO in image quality, without as good corner-to corner performance.
Actually, in the resolution tests on Optyczne,
the Ultron SL II does better than the (SMC) DA 40 Ltd almost everywhere through f/11,
except in the center at f/5.6 and f/8..
01-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Ive read a couple reviews and comparisons between the Ultron 40mm and Pentax DA 40mm (SMC version). The reviews usually showed what you said - the Ultron being slightly sharper. And of course it has faster aperture, beautiful build quality, while still staying very compact. Maybe the HD DA 40mm ltd has had its sharpness improved a little, so the difference might now be smaller than with the SMC version, but the Ultron is still a very attractive lens. Manual focus, though. You can try using catch in focus (CiF, focus trapping).

Edit: I am mostly posting to subscribe to this thread, because I am interested in this lens Congrats on buying one!

01-30-2015, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #5

Original Poster
I got it today and I'm very excited. Sharpness seems to be fantastic (as rumored), bokeh seems to be impressively good (contrary to popular knowledge I found on the web), manual focusing ring is heaven and the look is superb.

It was already dark when I received it and I took some quick shots in my yellowish relatively low-lit room (so the yellow doesn't come from wrong white balance). This weekend I'll take it out to the mountains and will post some landscapes probably. The shots below are mostly to show how it renders out-of-focus areas.

f2

f2

f2

f4

f2 (i think)
01-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It has that subtle yet distinctive Voightlander OOF rendering, especially in the 4th photo.

Great catch!
03-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I too have contracted the Voigtlander bug, mine is of the aspherical type...The Voigtlander 40 f2 is sharper than the Fa 35mm f2 below is a comparsion

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/foto-ag/oldpage/Ultron/test.html

Last edited by Stavri; 03-03-2015 at 08:25 AM.
05-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

did it require autopin fix for m42

---------- Post added 05-21-2016 at 07:03 AM ----------

i presume its being used on pentax body

---------- Post added 05-21-2016 at 07:21 AM ----------

its m42 and has a autopin, how did u handle that

03-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #9

Hi All!

I have seen a review made on this site that there is a k mount version of this lense - follow link below.

Voigtlander 40mm F/2 Ultron SLII Lens Reviews - Voigtlander Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Am I mistaken? I think I might be since I am struggling to find this K mount. As a matter of fact, I am struggling to find a M42 mount.

In essence, I just would like to confirm that I could use this lense on my K1000 as after some research I have arrived to the conclusion that it might be exactly what I am looking for. Any other lenses that you'd like to recommend - similar to this one - would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance to all!

Daniel
04-03-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

These lenses were available with a K mount for a few years but they stopped producing K mount versions. Pentax users already had 40mm choices - the DA40 Limited was out in 2006 - so the Voigtlander always had competition. Probably a lot of Pentax users chose to give up a stop but gain AF by getting the DA40, meaning less Ultron supply today.

If you really have to have 40mm, there's a Pentax-M 40mm f2.8. That'll look weird on a K1000 because it's such a small lens, but it should work fine. The DA40 won't work well because it doesn't have an aperture ring. It'll always be at f22.

Consider a 35mm lens. Yes, it's slightly wider, but you have a better selection of f2.0 lenses. If you really need that wide aperture, there are several Pentax 35mm f2 lenses to choose from, Takumars to the FA series. They all should work fine. I can't remember if the newest HD version still has an aperture ring. The optical formula changed often in the 35mm lenses. Prices usually reflect which ones are better or worse.
04-03-2019, 12:21 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The PK-A version of this beautifully made lens definitely exists, mine included the close up attachment (basically a high quality matched close-up filter) - it is a real pleasure to use, compact, smooth focusing, beautifully constructed and it produces superb results...

2 Days Ago   #12

Hi guys, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

Basically I am seeking for the best 35mm lens I could mount on my Pentax K1000. While searching I came across the ultron and also the Ltd 43mm made by Pentax. They both look amazing although the second would be too narrow as I'd would prefer to be as close to 35mm as possible. Also consider the Ltd 31mm but I already have the SMC 28mm f2,8.

I'm also looking at Zeiss Jena DDR MC Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 , MIR-1B 2.8/37, Porst WW 1.8/35 MC Auto H but all these three need an adapter. If I am right they are M42.

So I am trying to make up my mind with the SMC 35m f2 (both M & A) and also considering the 35mm f3,5 which although is not as fast is very light. All reviews on the site score these three similarly.

If you guys have any other suggestions or think there is a out there a 35mm lens that I could use in the K1000 I would be much grateful to hear about it.

Big thanks to all!

Daniel