Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 15mm Reversing...

I'd like to be able to reverse my DA 15mm Limited and do some lens stacking with it - but the built in hood prevents me from using a standard ring. I need something with a deeper ring - in order to clear the hood before changing the size. Thoughts?

I assume I could narrow it down and then come back up but I worry about vignetting.

01-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The issue is that there is no aperture ring on the DA15, so no way to control aperture...
Try with an FA 20...
01-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'd like to be able to reverse my DA 15mm Limited and do some lens stacking with it - but the built in hood prevents me from using a standard ring. I need something with a deeper ring - in order to clear the hood before changing the size. Thoughts?

I assume I could narrow it down and then come back up but I worry about vignetting.
For my DA 15 I just took an old UV filter and popped out the glass. The filter ring is high enough that it clears the hood when retracted, and I'm then able to use it with all kinds of regular 49mm filters (like polarizers) and other accessories.
01-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
The issue is that there is no aperture ring on the DA15, so no way to control aperture...
Try with an FA 20...
When lens stacking I thought the idea was to leave the stacked lens wide open... was I wrong? Honestly I have seen both methods mentioned.

Good point however...

01-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
When lens stacking I thought the idea was to leave the stacked lens wide open... was I wrong? Honestly I have seen both methods mentioned.

Good point however...
It won't be wide open, it will be stopped down to f/22.
01-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
It won't be wide open, it will be stopped down to f/22.
DOH!!!! Whoops
01-20-2015, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

If you want to reverse any DA Limited non aperture ring lens.... put the lens on your camera like normal. Set your desired aperture. While the camera is ON remove the lens from the body.

It will be at whatever aperture you set it at.

I don't know how good this is for the lenses or camera but it works. I have used several of the DA limiteds for macro work while reversed.
01-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
If you want to reverse any DA Limited non aperture ring lens.... put the lens on your camera like normal. Set your desired aperture. While the camera is ON remove the lens from the body.

I don't know how good this is for the lenses or camera but it works. I have used several of the DA limiteds for macro work while reversed.
This may be why I hadn't noticed as I often change lenses with the camera on. Thanks for the tip.

01-23-2015, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

It works with Canon (which has aperture motor in-lens), but all K-mount lenses have just "stupid" (ie no electronics at all) spring-loaded aperture lever. Once the lens is removed from camera, aperture closes to the value defined by aperture ring.

If lens has no aperture ring, then aperture goes full close.

To keep aperture open, you have to pull aperture lever towards full-open and just fix it in that position. Everything that keeps aperture in place and does not damage the lens is OK. Unfortunately, a toothpick is little too thin, but safety match is OK, so does small piece of cardboard or so. Just make sure that object is not going to fall into the lens!

Unfortunately, setting precise aperture is hardly possible this way, as it requires very precise aperture lever positioning with no feedback.
01-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elektrolitr Quote
It works with Canon (which has aperture motor in-lens), but all K-mount lenses have just "stupid" (ie no electronics at all) spring-loaded aperture lever. Once the lens is removed from camera, aperture closes to the value defined by aperture ring.

If lens has no aperture ring, then aperture goes full close.

To keep aperture open, you have to pull aperture lever towards full-open and just fix it in that position. Everything that keeps aperture in place and does not damage the lens is OK. Unfortunately, a toothpick is little too thin, but safety match is OK, so does small piece of cardboard or so. Just make sure that object is not going to fall into the lens!

Unfortunately, setting precise aperture is hardly possible this way, as it requires very precise aperture lever positioning with no feedback.
I was about to post that I had tried this today and realized exactly that.
01-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I reversed a 28mm lens and was able to take pictures of salt and sugar and they looked like stones. I can't imagine what a reversed 15mm will look like
01-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I reversed a 28mm lens and was able to take pictures of salt and sugar and they looked like stones. I can't imagine what a reversed 15mm will look like

This method looks promising... I assume I would have to use a stopper device to put the 15mm into wide open mode but that seems simple enough.

Control aperture of a reversed lens with an empty lens