Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Craigslist

I found this on Craigslist and and thinking about buying: A good deal?
I have a very old cemera and a bunch of lenses. This is a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic. Lenses, which are Vivitar, all come with leather cases. Lenses are in great condition. Tele Vivitar 300mm Vivitar Auto 3x Custom tele-converter Auto Vivitar Telephoto 135mm Cosmicar Television Lens 75mm. Price set at $75. This needs to go fast so price negotiable.

05-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not current on prices of used cameras. Here's my perspective:
1. I was very pleased with an SP500. The key question would be the condition of the camera. This is almost undoubtedly a screw-mount body.
2. I'd guess the Vivitar lenses, even without the body, are worth having. You can check in the section of pentaxforums which reviews lenses.
3. Sure you want to shoot film, rather than digital?
Good luck!
05-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not up on current pricing, but the Spotmatic seems to sell for $30-$40, so are 3 lenses and a TC worth $10 a piece? Doesn't seem bad to me. Anyone with a different opinion?
05-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sounds fair to me. That Viv 135mm may be worth $75 alone depending on condition.

05-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Price is negotiable so you can get even better deal than $75. Make sure you check the shutter, seals and all camera functions before you buy. Sending $50 camera for cleaning that will run you more than you paid for the camera can be dissapointing.
05-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Go for it. If one of them turns out to be a dud, c'est la vie. As long as the rest are in working order...
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have a K200D and would be buying this just for the lenses. I'll give them a call and see if they are still available.
05-28-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Elle Quote
I have a K200D and would be buying this just for the lenses. I'll give them a call and see if they are still available.
Even if you are just doing it for the lenses, run a roll of Kodak Gold through the camera and get the cheapest developing your local drug store offers. If the Spotmatic works, put it in a resealable bag, squeeze as much air as you can out of it and just hold on to it. You never know when you might need a backup. Any totally electronic camera can develop gremlins and the good thing about a manual Spotmatic is you don't really need the internal meter if you use the rule of f16.

CW

05-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A few simple checks for any older SLR camera/lens:

If you rely on the light meter make sure it works - they often do not on older cameras.
Check shutter speeds. You can tell by ear and visually (with back open) if they are on or close.
With no lens mounted check for correct operation of mirror.
Check the mirror bumper and light seals around the back. Make sure they are not missing or gooey.
Check self-timer operation. Even if you never use it, a jammed self-timer can make a camera inoperable.

Lenses should focus smoothly throughout their range.
Check for nicks and scratches in the glass.
Look through lens towards a light source and check for fungus or excessive dust.
Operate autodiaphragm lever/pin and make sure diaphragm closes and snaps open when released.

Chris