Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Received OS version of Sigma 17-50 f2.8

I ordered the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 from Adorama last week (check out this link Sigma 17mm-50mm f2.8 EX DC HSM Lens f/Pentax -Filter BUNDLE- 58C109 K). The link says this lens is the non-OS new version of the lens.

However the box I got says 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS (Optical Stabilizer). Does that mean I got a lens that is really old? Sigma removed the OS from this lens for Pentax mount more than 3 years ago.

The lens however doesn't mention OS anywhere. There is no switch either to turn off OS. How do I find out if I got the latest version of the lens?

01-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

have you checked the serial numbers on the box and the lens if different i suspect it ex display put into the wrong box
01-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
I ordered the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 from Adorama last week (check out this link Sigma 17mm-50mm f2.8 EX DC HSM Lens f/Pentax -Filter BUNDLE- 58C109 K). The link says this lens is the non-OS new version of the lens.

However the box I got says 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS (Optical Stabilizer). Does that mean I got a lens that is really old? Sigma removed the OS from this lens for Pentax mount more than 3 years ago.

The lens however doesn't mention OS anywhere. There is no switch either to turn off OS. How do I find out if I got the latest version of the lens?

If there is no OS switch on the lens, then it's the later version. The name on the box remains unchanged despite the lack of OS in the Pentax/Sony versions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheGrandPrixKid Quote
have you checked the serial numbers on the box and the lens if different i suspect it ex display put into the wrong box
There is no serial number on the box. The serial number on the lens and warranty card match. Warranty card also says OS in the name of the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If there is no OS switch on the lens, then it's the later version. The name on the box remains unchanged despite the lack of OS in the Pentax/Sony versions.
That's reassuring. Is there a way to find out when was the lens manufactured based on the serial number?

01-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They most ikely just use the same box design for every brand.
01-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
They most ikely just use the same box design for every brand.
The box does mention that this lens is for Pentax mount. So at least the boxes they use are different for different brands.
01-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's reassuring. Is there a way to find out when was the lens manufactured based on the serial number?
I don't think so, but it must have been fairly recently given that the lens lacks OS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #8

I have just bought the same lens (Sigma 17-50) from SRS in UK. The box was labelled correctly without including the OS label. The warranty sticker and the serial number on the lens both checked out OK. I guess you just got a rogue box. However, it is worth checking out the serial number - mine is in the 14.7 million range (if that is any guide?).
01-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The box does mention that this lens is for Pentax mount. So at least the boxes they use are different for different brands.
Yes, but the base template is probably the same, with only the Pentax part as a variable.
01-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you use Lightroom? Does Lightroom recognize that Sigma lens?

Dave
01-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manstanox Quote
I have just bought the same lens (Sigma 17-50) from SRS in UK. The box was labelled correctly without including the OS label. The warranty sticker and the serial number on the lens both checked out OK. I guess you just got a rogue box. However, it is worth checking out the serial number - mine is in the 14.7 million range (if that is any guide?).
Serial number of my copy is also in same range, 14.7 million.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yes, but the base template is probably the same, with only the Pentax part as a variable.
Yeah, that can happen.

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
Do you use Lightroom? Does Lightroom recognize that Sigma lens?

Dave
I do. Lightroom does recognize the lens (Pentax mount in particular) but it didn't apply lens profile automatically. I had to manually select the lens from the list.

Edit: Now when I see carefully, the EXIF doesn't have Lens information at all. That's why Lightroom didn't pick it up automatically.

Last edited by RonakG; 01-22-2015 at 05:53 PM.
01-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got to try the lens for few sample shots today afternoon. My colleague was kind enough to pose for me. I'm astound at the sharpness of this lens even at wide open. Check out this sample portrait of my colleague. This is shot at 40mm ISO 800 f2.8 1/20s. Considering all these, this shot is amazingly sharp. Focus seems to be accurate too in my limited trial.

Will do some elaborate testing over the weekend. If results are this good, I don't care if the lens is latest version or not. I'll be happy.

01-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just received the non-OS version, purchased in Canada (with a 7-yr warranty!). The box says 17-50 f2.8 EX DC, serial number in the mid 14M range. Very sharp lens. Nice colours on the K-3 too. I'm very happy with my purchase, but one complaint. I'm worried I'm going to damage the zoom ring, trying to turn it in the wrong direction. Man, that is aggravating.

RonakG, where do I find the lens profile?

PS Needed +6 AF Adjust on the K-3. I haven't tried it with my K20D. I will send it back for calibration eventually.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-23-2015 at 10:48 PM.
01-23-2015, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I just received the non-OS version, purchased in Canada (with a 7-yr warranty!). The box says 17-50 f2.8 EX DC, serial number in the mid 14M range. Very sharp lens. Nice colours on the K-3 too. I'm very happy with my purchase, but one complaint. I'm worried I'm going to damage the zoom ring, trying to turn it in the wrong direction. Man, that is aggravating.
I'm also worried about that. I try to turn the zoom right the other way round. This will become my walk around lens, so hopefully I'll get used to it.

QuoteQuote:
RonakG, where do I find the lens profile?

PS Needed +6 AF Adjust on the K-3. I haven't tried it with my K20D. I will send it back for calibration eventually.
You can select the lens profile on Lens Corrections section in Develop module. It works wonders for distortion at wide end and vignetting.
I'm just going to create a User Preset with this profile and then apply it during every import from this lens.

01-23-2015, 11:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks, I have it.