Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I did not ask anyone to take sides! All i asked for was suggestions were else i can buy my camera equipment from!

01-24-2015, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

kjp, I'll stick to my guns and insist it is indeed the role of CS to stay level headed and do all they
can to assist the customer. However, by your own admission you did fumble not once but twice.
It does sound like they satisfactorily agreed to accept the mis-ordered hood in return, though
I think you're asking too much to expect them to pay for return shipping for an item you bought
in error. If they had sent you the wrong item, or a faulty item, then return shipping on their tab
would be in order, but not when you make the mistake.

I can understand the confusion on their part upon receiving a box filled with empty boxes.
The "just a minutes" are reasonable considering that yours was likely one of many CS issues
that day and finding and verifying the contents would indeed take time. Not sure how they
'smirked' at you over the phone/email, (video conference??), but that may indeed be the
one sure point of CS failure.

Looking from the outside, I'd say B&H did well up until that 'smirk', and 'smirk' aside, it's still
on your shoulders to pay postage to return the hood. Frustrating, yes, that you're paying
postage twice, but you have to admit that you're paying that postage, twice, because you
made two independent errors.

Ultimately, it is your dollar and you have every right to decide whether your experience was
unsatisfactory and whether that was an unnecessary 'smirk'.

---------- Post added 01-24-2015 at 11:43 AM ----------

As for recommendations, I wish I could offer some confident advice, but I'm afraid this is all
I have:

For high ticket camera items, (anything over a couple hundred dollars), B&H is my preferred
vendor. They may not always be the cheapest but they are always reliable. And though
cheaper prices can be found, it's usually not by much.

If I really need something immediately, I'll go to my local camera shop. Their prices carry
a not inconsiderable premium, so despite my efforts to shop local whenever I can, I don't
maintain this practice with camera gear. It doesn't help that they aren't the most approachable
staff. CS varies greatly with rep, but they do project an overall air superiority which I find
distasteful.

For accessories and lesser expensive items I'll often chance Amazon or Ebay or woot!, but
only for items I am 99.999% confident I won't have to return.

And I'm always eyeing for a junk shop bargain, if the price is right.
01-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
You screwed up twice by ordering the wrong hood and then sending them an empty box and on top of all that wanted them to send you a prepaid shipping label for your mistake? You should have apologized for your error and resent the wrong hood back on your dime.

^ Agreed.
01-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Not sure how they
'smirked'
Did you see that? Did you just see that??? r0ckstarr just "smirked" at me

01-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Did you see that? Did you just see that??? r0ckstarr just "smirked" at me
I smirk at you all of the time. You just can't see it.
01-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
If so, then yes I did. I read it as empathizing with the Customer Support side of the equation,
who must deal with 'genuinely horrible people' who 'don't want help'.
No, you hit the nail on the head. I was empathizing with the customer support side, because I've seen it a lot. I wasn't referring to your case, because I don't know the specifics, and that's fine. You very well may have had a lousy customer service person. I was just saying I think if a person acts like an unreasonable jerk, they should expect to be treated like one. Those who think it's acceptable to scream at and verbally abuse someone just doing their job just because they can get away with it, should be loaded into a cannon and fired into the sun.

Everything we do affects the people around us. We need to think about that before we open our mouths and let the toxic stupid fall out.

On the topic of the OP's question, I've bought stuff from KEH, Adorama, Henry's, and B&H, and never had a problem that wasn't corrected promptly and courteously.

Peace,
Bobbo... :-)
01-25-2015, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Those who think it's acceptable to scream at and verbally abuse someone just doing their job just because they can get away with it, should be loaded into a cannon and fired into the sun.
I would be concerned with lens flare. What lens will we be using to shoot this with?

Last edited by Driline; 01-25-2015 at 06:48 PM.