Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best camera source!

i am in the market to purchase a Pentax 18-135 lens, i had a problem with B&H and will not purchase anything from them again!

01-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry you had a bad experience with B&H. From my experience, they rock.
01-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Sorry you had a bad experience with B&H. From my experience, they rock.
Same here, I've received exceptional service, and especially from reps when I've called with questions.
01-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What kind of issues?
Adorama is another source.
KEH is good for used stuff.

01-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
Adorama is another source.
KEH is good for used stuff.
And there is also the Pentax Forums marketplace. And Amazon - if you know what you are buying and know what it should cost.

I have bought a lot from B&H, including ordering last night and today - without issue.
01-22-2015, 05:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, i will give Adorama a try!
01-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
i am in the market to purchase a Pentax 18-135 lens, i had a problem with B&H and will not purchase anything from them again!
B&H and Adorama are the only two retailers in the US that stock the entire Pentax lineup. Smaller stores like Beach camera are also reputable, and of course Amazon (but be sure to buy from Amazon proper, or an authorized dealer via Amazon, rather than a grey market seller). Avoid places like Abe's of Maine or Ryther camera, as they love to upsell.

I would recommend giving B&H another shot, as their CS is unmatched. Mistakes happen everywhere and obviously they can't all be avoided.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have to say, I had a very surreal experience with my last purchase at B&H. They fumbled a request on my part,
I got a little snide, and they went on full bore attack. I was quite shocked. It really was a major customer service
meltdown and faux pax on their behalf and I was really surprised to see it happen. Nonetheless, my order was
processed promptly, product received without issue and no games. I even wondered whether someone might
'get even' and cancel my rewards card or somesuch, but there were no games. There was a meltdown, someone
had a bad day and couldn't admit wrong, but once I dropped the matter, (and it was a meltdown over a small matter),
all was normal. I admit I agonized over future business, but as I said above, nothing else was amiss with my
experience with B&H, prior or subsequent to that one surreal day. I still think B&H are the best option for new
camera equipment in the US and will continue to order. Next time, I'll just be prepared to document any grievance
before engaging customer support.
01-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Chuck from B&H forwarded my information to the CS manager and not a peep. This speaks volumes to me, i will take my business elsewhere!
01-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #10

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what are some options for us Canadians? (Especially with the dollar tanking)
01-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with both B&H and Adorama. Of the two, I would give the nod (slightly) to B&H.

YMMV

Michael
01-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DJDee Quote
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what are some options for us Canadians? (Especially with the dollar tanking)
Henry's, The Camera Store, London Drugs, Lens and Shutter are all Canadian firms that I have dealt with. Prodigital2000 is a Canadian eBay store that gives the Canadian two year warranty.
01-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Henry's, The Camera Store, London Drugs, Lens and Shutter are all Canadian firms that I have dealt with. Prodigital2000 is a Canadian eBay store that gives the Canadian two year warranty.
Thanks. I will check those out. I am fortunate enough to live about 5 blocks away from the Camera Store - I just picked up my K3 and 50-135 from them. They have great service.
01-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Chuck from B&H forwarded my information to the CS manager and not a peep. This speaks volumes to me, i will take my business elsewhere!
How long ago? I'd give it a day or two. Who knows, the CS manager may be out of the office, etc.

But, as others have mentioned; you have other choices such as Adorama. I recently got excellent service from them, as well as B&H.
01-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last Summer I had an unhappy B&H experience with regard to their shipping warehouse's packaging, and was vocal about it on this forum. Previous to this my interaction with them was top-drawer.

I refrained from business with them for about three months, then decided to try again. I can now say that my concerns have been admirably addressed, and I will continue to transact with them.